Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
If I had an existing water cooling loop but then wanted to add in extra radiators / blocks in the future how would I do it, surely if I remove any of the tubing all the liquid will come out and muck up all the components, or is there a special technique to it?

Hopefully, we are not talking about an all-in-one unit. First, a lot of paper towels should be handy. Rinsing/Cleaning/Maintenance on a "real water" system should be done on a regular basis (there are varying schools of thought on the schedule) so this is something you'll get used to.
The easiest way I have found with my systems (which I do outside) is to remove the radiator, place it lower than the PC and disconnect the fitting at the rad (I have long tubing and exterior mounted rads), opening the res helps. Not all water is removed that way but with a little tilting, enough is removed that I can disassemble the loop without getting water inside the PC. The inclusion of a T fitting into the loop is suggested to assist draining. Once apart and cleaned, new components get added with reinstall.

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
no, not an all in one unit, one of the XSPC RASA kits I'm looking at. How would you block off the end of the T fitting that isn't doing anything when it's not being used to drain the system?

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
just measured things and realised that my case can only hold 240mm of radiator (even then it's outside of the case) A radiator at the rear would block the holes for tubes going out to the top radiator and the PSU cables get in the way of adding one in at the bottom. So I guess I can't add new radiators anyway, no room for extra holes either and I cant mount them on the side panels as there's a side window I added on one side and there's a wall on the other. The only thing I can think of is stacking radiators but I think that would be really inefficient.
Thanks for the advice on maintenance though and when my next build comes around I'll spend more than £30 on a case.

Now you're thinking like a modder/Wc freak :)
yup, you can mount two 240 rads on their edge side by side, one thing I would say for that though is don't sandwich them, do push/pull on both rads and have them all blowing the same way, but leave a little gap between rads, as much as you can really
and yes those brackets are fine, although I would repurpose parts of an old hdd cage maybe to make them no reason you can't just buy them :)
Moto

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

old HHD cage as a bracket for the rads, please tell me more on how this works, this is something I need to do as well.

Oh yeah, most hard drive cages have mounting holes in bottom and sides - if you plan and do your cuts/filing/painting well, it can end up looking pretty much like the ones for sale - possible drilling only required for mounting holes on the case - with my Rosewill Challenger case, I would attempt to install it just using the modified HD cage brackets and the existing exhaust fan holes at the top of the case - if I were to do that configuration.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
no I want to use it as a standoff on the top of the case for the radiator, I have used the 5 1/2 in bay sides before as stand off's for radiators, but I am wondering if 3 1/2 in is enough space for air draw through the radiator if i use them as stand off's for the radiator.

shroud002.jpg

I use the shrouded fan setup on my rads I would put the standoff on the other side of the radiator between the top of the case and the nonfan side of the radiator.

Yup, pretty much its look at the peice of metal you have to hand Toolmaker and see how you can use that,
the bottom surface of the bottom fans on my RX240 are 40mm off the top of the case and its plenty of room so
If I was using this Rosewill cage I would probably cut along the red lines, then use the top section here to secure to the case,
rosewill-armor-hdd-cage.jpg

and cut one of these in half (For each side) and screw to the radiator/fan, then drill/screw to the hdd cage
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/Products/Cabinet_Furniture_and_Hardware/Furniture_Brackets_and_Fixings/580/Angle_Bracket_Zinc_Plated_Steel
You can obviously have them as high as you need mate :)
Moto