Sign in with
Your question

Final Build - Everything ordered or bought - over budget :(

Last response: in Systems
February 4, 2013 6:44:45 PM

****See several posts below as the configuration has been adjusted. ****

February 4, 2013 6:57:14 PM

Cball.. I was trying to stay within the modular realm. Do I need to buck up in order to do that? What are your thoughts on either of these:
Antec
OCZ

What would you suggest if not either of those for a modular/semi-modular design?
Related resources
February 4, 2013 6:58:01 PM

Newegg is currently out of stock on those DIMMs. Those DIMMs are very high quality(used to be priced at $40) but not they are usually priced at $60 now

the CX series is of the lower quality end of Corsairs PSU(also not made by Seasonic)
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb...
get this PSU, made by seasonic and a better price. Though it is not semi modular, a 550W PSU does not have much cables anyways
February 4, 2013 6:59:39 PM

@ Boulbox

Microcenter has the Samsung Dimms in stock for $46 or $48. I planned on picking it up there, as well as a few other things, as the price difference is negligible and being able to return doa is worth a couple bucks.
February 4, 2013 7:02:33 PM

eyeage said:
@ Boulbox

Microcenter has the Samsung Dimms in stock for $46 or $48. I planned on picking it up there, as well as a few other things, as the price is negligible and being able to return doa is worth a couple bucks.

Nice, those DIMMs are very good for anything you do, it overclocks like a beast and used to be at the price of $40 and was not bought because there were many "noobs" that though "DIMMs are not good unless it has a outer heatsink" or along the lines of that.

Afterwards when it got reviewed, many people"noobs" jumped on it.
February 4, 2013 7:03:10 PM

don't forget a solid state drive, they're the best overall performance increase available at the moment
February 4, 2013 7:14:31 PM

lxgoldsmith said:
don't forget a solid state drive, they're the best overall performance increase available at the moment

he said he would buy it later and just wants to but down on the initial cost.
February 4, 2013 7:19:49 PM

Fine build! Game on.
February 4, 2013 7:27:57 PM

boulbox said:
he said he would buy it later and just wants to but down on the initial cost.

if he's going to get solid state, the best time to get it is at the same time as the rest of the rig. it's better to avoid disk imaging. it's not like anybody uses 120GB in their first few months.
February 4, 2013 7:44:00 PM

@lxgoldsmith

Should I forgo the SATA and get the SSD instead at the start? I'm just trying to cut some corners is all. I'll buy the additional drive next month, but I have a wife to keep happy....
February 4, 2013 7:47:30 PM

Get the SSD first, because then you will have to do a reload and everything if you get it later. Just keep data off it for now (turn off paging and hibernation to save space). Also, why not get 16GB of ram, its cheap enough.
February 4, 2013 8:17:10 PM

kawininjazx said:
Get the SSD first, because then you will have to do a reload and everything if you get it later. Just keep data off it for now (turn off paging and hibernation to save space). Also, why not get 16GB of ram, its cheap enough.

Because I don't do anything that will require it. No need for me to spend extra money for something I won't use.
February 4, 2013 8:20:59 PM

I would recommend you step up to a Seasonic 660W Platinum, 100% modular psu. That way if you add more hardware or have the psu for 7 years you don't have to worry.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its listed at $130 with a rebate at the moment. If I needed a power supply now that is the one I would get.

The only other thing I would change is the cpu cooler to a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm cpu Cooler. The mounting hardware is better and it is the same size as the Cm 212 evo, and it cools better.

Other than that, it is a nice build.

February 4, 2013 8:51:30 PM

fixer762 said:
I would recommend you step up to a Seasonic 660W Platinum, 100% modular psu. That way if you add more hardware or have the psu for 7 years you don't have to worry.

Its listed at $130 with a rebate at the moment. If I needed a power supply now that is the one I would get.

The only other thing I would change is the cpu cooler to a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm cpu Cooler. The mounting hardware is better and it is the same size as the Cm 212 evo, and it cools better.

Other than that, it is a nice build.

No need to spend that much on the PSU, if he wanted to spend more, he can just get this PSU

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-caps...

plat is only a bit off from gold(1-2% difference) and this is much cheaper
February 5, 2013 10:15:15 AM

Well... I've gone and done it.. and by that.. I mean spent $300 more than I intended too. That said, I feel this computer will last me another 5+ years like the one I'm currently on. All parts are either ordered, or already home. Toss on this configuration: a Logitech G15, a Razer Death Adder, and a Sound Blaster Extreme Gamer that I will rob from my current setup. Total Cost with tax, shipping, and "expedited processing"(lol, yes.. SEND IT FASTER FOR $3!..I'm a sucker).... $1098.77

I do have $25 in rebates to send in, and I got bioshock infinity and tomb raider games for free (not sure if either is good, will probably try selling on Ebay to recoup costs). I didn't get everything at the place that pcpartpicker lists. Amazon was my go-to for what I couldn't get at cheaper microcenter, as their shipping is lightning fast. Newegg I got the PSU, and video card. Microcenter took the prize with the I5+MOBO deal, evo 212 on sale, only place that had the samsung dimm, and had the Fractal Case the cheapest. Cheers!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.95 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1087.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-05 07:11 EST-0500)
February 5, 2013 10:20:22 AM

@cball... Just so you know.. I went a bit neurotic researching psus after all this... and what I decided upon was what you had suggested. It has so many great reviews by so many serious reviewers. Honestly, I didn't even realize it was the one you had suggested. I just went into "zone" mode and picked it out of the bunch. Great recommendation!.. Though I could be slightly biased..
February 5, 2013 1:55:27 PM

eyeage said:
@cball... Just so you know.. I went a bit neurotic researching psus after all this... and what I decided upon was what you had suggested. It has so many great reviews by so many serious reviewers. Honestly, I didn't even realize it was the one you had suggested. I just went into "zone" mode and picked it out of the bunch. Great recommendation!.. Though I could be slightly biased..

Not biased...the truth. That PSU is superb especially for the price. SeaSonic, IMO, is the best of the best when it comes to PSUs.
!