Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA GTX 670 and display problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 20, 2012 3:33:31 PM

I'll just say up front that I'm pretty lost right now, and anyone who can help me get unlost would have my last appreciation. :) 

Background: I just built a computer last month. Specs as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
GPU: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus 23" VW246H

Yesterday, I installed Steam and attempted to run Skyrim. It detected my graphics settings and suggested I play the game on low. Clearly, this didn't make me happy, and I attempted to up it to Medium but couldn't play more than 12 FPS. The root issue seemed to be that Skyrim only detected my Intel graphics card rather than the NVIDIA.

Problem 1: As a result, I upgraded my graphics drivers for both Intel and NVIDIA (from Intel and NVIDIA, respectively; was this a good move, or should I have downloaded the ASUS GTX drivers rather than the ones from NVIDIA?) and NVIDIA now displays by default in Steam. Great! However, I still can't play beyond medium at 20 FPS, and unless I'm way off base, there's no way that medium is acceptable for my hardware. ASUS's GPU Tweak screen shows the 670 using power and running, so it seems to be available (not to mention that it can be detected by Skyrim).

Problem Two: To investigate, I tried to access the NVIDIA Control Panel but received the rather infamous "NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU." Which is odd, as Skyrim detects it.

Problem Three: On a friend's recommendation, I tried to go into my BIOS and see what I could do there, but I can't seem to access my BIOS: my monitor only recognizes a signal from my computer when Windows reaches the log-in screen. If I tap [Del] blindly, I can get to the BIOS, but I can't see anything.

Suggestions? Is there further information I can provide?

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm new to this and a bit baffled.
a b Î Nvidia
December 20, 2012 4:33:44 PM

your video cable needs to be plugged into the gpu. if it plugged into the mb your using the onboard chipset. you have to change the first video device in your bios.
m
l
December 20, 2012 4:35:24 PM

Plug monitor into mobo.
Go into bios and disable onboard video - save and exit.
Move cable from mobo to GPU.
Should be good to go from there.

Did you install the VirtuMVP software? In my experience it's not worth the hassle - can uninstall it to avoid some video wierdness. It will pipe onboard out the video card and vice versa depending on how you set it.
m
l
Related resources
December 20, 2012 5:32:11 PM

Nevermind--see below.
m
l
December 20, 2012 5:45:28 PM

Well, that actually does it. Still not sure why my monitor won't turn on prior to log-on screen, but d'oh, it really was as simple as plugging into the gpu. Thanks. I feel dumb, but thankful. :D 
m
l
December 20, 2012 6:20:52 PM

Woot.
m
l
!