Sign in with
Your question

SLI and mATX temperature problem

Last response: in Systems
February 4, 2013 8:36:15 PM

I got a mATX AsRock z77 extreme 4
I was planning on keeping it with one graphics card (MSI 660ti). But the graphics card I got was DOA.
I couldn't wait and bought a new ASUS 660ti and RMA'd the first. It came back working (sent in the anti static bag outside the protective mouse and box - can u believe it lol!!)

You can see the problem with a mATX and SLI config, both gfx cards are so crammed together, the hot air from the first GPU blows against the back of the second.

What I did was put the ASUS in the crammed position. it is 20% cooler then the MSI. But at full stress the max temps on the ASUS are 80°C on the second MSI it's 64°C. Ok these cards are designed to work at those temps, but I don't like that. Ambient temps in winter are around 10 - 15°C. In Summer this will become a problem.

I don't know what I can do to lower the temps on the ASUS card, Is there something like a single GPU water cooling solution? or a remedy to get the airflow going between the two cards? or...

Point me the way plz :) 
Jo.
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2013 9:22:54 PM

Does your case have side fans to blow onto the graphic cards? I'm also surprised that the ASUS is 20% cooler than your MSI. I got two MSIs myself for their aftermarket cooling which really makes it nice. My temps are 64/73 when both are going full bore which is fine by me. 80 isn't bad...just keep the AC running in the summer! Or another ghetto method is to remove the side panel and use a small fan and blow on the cards.

Water cooling is also an option. You can get an Asus water block. Just make sure your case has the holes for the radiator tubes.
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2013 9:27:47 PM

when asus says its 20% cooler, it means that they are comparing the junk reference card to their card

SLI on matx boards are usually not recommended as cards like yours get crammed right next to each other. when you are going to SLI cards on matx boards, they are often the blower type designs (evga ftw is a good one for that) as blower fans suck air in and blow the heat right now

a side fan should help to get air between the cards
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2013 9:53:01 PM

what is the exact motherboard you have ?

The asrock Z77 extrem4 is not an m-ATX motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2013 11:33:12 PM

i think he means the asrock z77 extreme4-m. they exist
February 5, 2013 7:03:34 AM

My case is the "HAF 912 Plus"
And yes it's the AsRock z77 extreme4-M model MB

A fan on the side can be mounted, but with the cards so close to eachother, would that make a difference?

I could just sell the pc, with one 660 left in, keep the other one, and start over from scratch. I'd like that actually :D  bigger psu, better SSD other then that, Ive built my dream pc :) 
a c 122 U Graphics card
February 5, 2013 8:54:23 AM

jo_de_manne said:
it is 20% cooler

[:edszx:6]
I cant be the only one here, can I?..

Slot spacing is important when it comes to thermal performance in SLI setups. Quite simply the cards are too close together, and the ASUS is being choked for air.
Might want to consider an ATX size board, or selling those cards off for a stronger single card.

If theres a grill down there, flip the PSU around.
!