Sign in with
Your question

Test GPU before replacing?

December 20, 2012 4:47:29 PM

Hello,
I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 with the standard Radeon x300. Windows 7s

Issue: laptop screen is blank, but VGA, DVI, and S-Video ports work on an external monitor and my TV.

The backlight went bad (classic symptoms: flickering screen then very faint in the background) - when I took the screen apart one end of the light where the wire to the inverter was soldered was completely scorched, the ceramic insulator showed burn marks, so I bought a new screen, not wanting to mess with soldering a new backlight.

The screen still didn't work, except then there was no discernible image appearing. So I bought a new inverter - replacing it made no change. Screen is still blank, no dim image appearing.

Is it possible, in the changing of parts or by pure coincidence of timing that the GPU went bad? Does it make sense that my graphics card is toast but yet the video out ports (VGA, DVI, S-Video) all function? When I dismantled the computer to look at the GPU (to determine if it was the "unscrew and replace" kind or the soldered-in kind - it's the easy one) it appeared that the only connection from the GPU was to the laptop display, but that doesn't seem right...?

Any help on testing my video card or advice on how to get my laptop back to being a portable computer rather than one stuck under my desk would be greatly appreciated!

More about : test gpu replacing

!