Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ADM vs Intel Build

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 20, 2012 6:58:23 PM

Hello,
I am building a gaming rig and i decided to go amd for the price difference. Now i was originally going intel so i chose this video card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But now that im going amd what card should i use?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : adm intel build

a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 20, 2012 7:18:49 PM

You can still use that same card with an AMD processor. If you mean you've saved money so can get a better card, then step up to a GTX670. You can't have saved much though compared to an i5, unless you were considering i7?
a c 151 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 120 À AMD
a b å Intel
December 20, 2012 7:19:44 PM

Ok let me explain this quick... You can use NVidia cards with Intel or AMD CPUs or an AMD card with both Intel and AMD CPUs, i actually prefer an AMD card with an Intel CPU, but that's just me...

So you can still use that GPU you chose, BUUUT its quite expensive for reference design. Rather get this one at the same price, faster clock and better cooler.

If you rather would like an AMD card :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The AMD card is slightly faster and better at AA than Nvidia one, but in games like Assasins creed 3 its slower.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 20, 2012 7:23:13 PM

Novuake said:

The AMD card is slightly faster and better at AA than Nvidia one, but in games like Assasins creed 3 its slower.

Which AA mode? FXAA and TXAA are better on nvidia (TXAA is nvidia exclusive). It's sort of misleading to suggest that AMD cards inherently handle AA better when a big part of that is the AA mode.
a c 151 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 120 À AMD
a b å Intel
December 20, 2012 7:43:28 PM

2882664,4,358084 said:
Which AA mode? FXAA and TXAA are better on nvidia (TXAA is nvidia exclusive). It's sort of misleading to suggest that AMD cards inherently handle AA better when a big part of that is the AA mode.[/quotemsg/]

REAL AA... TXAA is not nearly as smoothing as other AA. TXAA is more of a performance trick. So yes inherently a card with a larger memory bus will handle AA better. Whether it be AMD or Nvidia, in THIS case the AMD will handle AA better(except for TXAA ofcourse).
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 20, 2012 7:43:56 PM

I'll repeat what I said in your other thread.

Quote:
How is AMD cheaper, exactly? You pay $220 for a CPU that is worse than i3 at gaming.

a c 151 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 120 À AMD
a b å Intel
December 20, 2012 7:54:17 PM

Sunius said:
I'll repeat what I said in your other thread.

Quote:
How is AMD cheaper, exactly? You pay $220 for a CPU that is worse than i3 at gaming.


If he has the cash, then the AMD is better than an I3. I mean why would you want a duel if you can get a 8(sort of). I would prefer an I5, but whatever, stop being a fanboy... AMD caught up mostly with Piledriver, except it.
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 20, 2012 7:54:59 PM

Novuake said:
REAL AA... TXAA is not nearly as smoothing as other AA. TXAA is more of a performance trick. So yes inherently a card with a larger memory bus will handle AA better. Whether it be AMD or Nvidia, in THIS case the AMD will handle AA better(except for TXAA ofcourse).


You're confusing FXAA with TXAA. TXAA delivers exceptional smoothing (superior even to SSAA since it's additionally targeting temporal aliasing) however there is a performance cost and there's a detrimental effect on texture definition.
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
December 20, 2012 8:00:34 PM

I'd take an FX-8350 over an i3, but NOT over an i5. An i5 on a Z77 board will cost less than the Piledriver, outperform it in games, and use less power doing it.
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 20, 2012 8:01:31 PM

Novuake said:
If he has the cash, then the AMD is better than an I3. I mean why would you want a duel if you can get a 8(sort of). I would prefer an I5, but whatever, stop being a fanboy... AMD caught up mostly with Piledriver, except it.


* accept it. And you should accept Sunius is no fanboy, any regular on here will vouch for that. Also * dual. You duel with a sword or pistol.

+1 to Onus.
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 20, 2012 8:05:28 PM

Novuake said:
AMD caught up mostly with Piledriver, except it.


No, it did not. Also, exactly what Onus said.

AMD is only equal at price range of Phenom II 955 BE.
a c 151 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 120 À AMD
a b å Intel
December 20, 2012 8:10:06 PM

Sunius said:
No, it did not. Also, exactly what Onus said.


Note that I own an I5 3570K myself, OP has every right to get the 8350, I don't agree that everyone keeps saying that they should definitely rather get an Intel. Yes its better, but the 8350 is really good at threaded aps, so why would you not suggest it? Its not even that far behind in gaming, 3 FPS really is nothing to cry about while the real limiting factor is and always will be the GPU. I am sure(can't seem to verify this) that the I3 can not performs as well in BF3 MP as the 8350.
a c 151 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 120 À AMD
a b å Intel
December 20, 2012 8:11:32 PM

sam_p_lay said:
You're confusing FXAA with TXAA. TXAA delivers exceptional smoothing (superior even to SSAA since it's additionally targeting temporal aliasing) however there is a performance cost and there's a detrimental effect on texture definition.


Ah yes I see I have confused the 2. But the fact still remains the AMD 7950 has a bigger memory bus and will perform better in any AA that its capable of...
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 20, 2012 8:15:46 PM

Novuake said:
Yes its better, but the 8350 is really good at threaded aps, so why would you not suggest it? Its not even that far behind in gaming.


mlbryan said:
I am building a gaming rig


Threaded apps are irrelevant.

Novuake said:
3 FPS really is nothing to cry about while the real limiting factor is and always will be the GPU.


More like 20 fps on some games.


a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 20, 2012 8:21:53 PM

You may also find this useful:

http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processo...

An OP had a go at me for posting that the other day, demanding 'useful' responses to his question (too lazy to read it I guess and wanted it spelt out for him). It's worth the time to take a look though - you'll see where the FX8350 does well and where it falls behind.
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
December 20, 2012 8:31:18 PM

Novuake said:
...rather get an Intel. Yes its better, but the 8350 is really good at threaded aps, so why would you not suggest it? Its not even that far behind in gaming, 3 FPS really is nothing to cry about while the real limiting factor is and always will be the GPU. I am sure(can't seem to verify this) that the I3 can not performs as well in BF3 MP as the 8350.

Sunius refuted this gibberish nicely, but you actually did yourself, in the part I bolded. And, no one is advocating an i3 here; we're comparing the FX to an i5.
a c 151 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a c 120 À AMD
a b å Intel
December 20, 2012 8:48:05 PM

Onus said:
Sunius refuted this gibberish nicely, but you actually did yourself, in the part I bolded. And, no one is advocating an i3 here; we're comparing the FX to an i5.


The FX is still viable. The rest is just opinion... That is my point...
a c 290 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 20, 2012 8:54:09 PM

Viable as in extremely overpriced and underperforming? Would you buy GTX 660 for $350?
December 20, 2012 9:00:13 PM

if you are not using any heavily multi-threaded programs that take advantage of the 8350 then get the 3570k instead. personally i would get a 3570k with a cheaper motherboard.

also here it is from amazon for $190.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009O7YUF6/
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
December 20, 2012 9:02:05 PM

Sure it's viable; that's not the point. It doesn't offer as much bang/buck. Are you actually arguing in favor of making a deliberately sub-optimal choice?
!