Crossfire 6950 Issue out of nowhere

Gollum402

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Hello,

I've had my computer for about a year now and have 2 6950 graffics cards crossfired. I have had no issues but a few days ago when in Iracing (a racing simulator) my tripple monitor display started cutting out for a few seconds and then coming back on. I assumed the video cards had become loose or something so I shut the computer down, put some pressure on teh cards to ensure they were secure and started the computer up again. When I started the simulator up again I instantly noticed that instead of my usual 144 FPS, I was only getting between 30 and 40 FPS.

I tried shutting the computer down, disabling crossfire and re-enabling it to ensure both cards were being recognized, making sure the fans on both were spinning, re-installing the catalyst software and drivers, etc.... but no matter what I do, I coudn't get my usual FPS back.

After all of this, I decided to disable crossfire and give it a shot (since Iracing doesn't utilize crossfire). Upon startup I instantly got my 144 FPS back. My question now is what could be causing the huge drop in FPS when I have crossfire enabled? Did the 2nd card die? I figured it wouldn't even recognize it if it did. And what would have caused it to just die like that?

For now, everything works great but I'm only using 1 card and if I enable the other I get this crazy FPS drop. Could it be a driver issue (already re-installled them), some setting that mighit have changed by itself?

I have no Idea. If anyone could shed some light on this it would be great. I've already checked with other Iracing users and they still run crossfire so it's not a software change on the Iracing side. I just hope my 2nd card isn't shot because I don't feel like spending the money to replace it when I haven't really worked it that hard to begin with. Battlefield 3 is the only game that really works the card and I don't use it that often. I guess I should test the crossfire on that now but I don't want to dammage anything in doing so if there is an issue with the presumably only good card.

Thanks in advance.

Dustin

pull the "working" card and put the presumed defective card in it's place. does it work?... if so pull the card. put the original working card in the "bad" cards old slot. What happens?

if both cards are good and working............ leave one card in. swap the pci 6pin cables. does it work or is the PS not providing enough power................ you can also leave the cards where they are and just swap the 6pin cables first. top to bottom/bottom to top.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

you need to get your facts straight before commenting.I've run crossfire with 3870,4870,5850,5870 and now 6950,no issues whatsoever.Not to mention all the systems I've built for others with crossfire still running fine.

TheRussian1

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

You seem to be a bastion of ignorance.

I have used both SLi and CF, both have issues of about the same caliber.
Mainly, driver support and games that just dont utilize the cards efficiently.