Recommend a replacement GPU over an entry one

jjim26

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
I am looking for a replacement GPU. My current GPU causes the occasional BSOD. This is my first time upgrading the GPU so I am not familiar with this process. Prior to my current PC, I have always used a IGP

My PC specs: (a Dell xps 8300)
CPU - i5-2310
Mobo - OY2MRG A00 (Dell)
GPU - AMD radeon HD 6450
PSU - 430W
RAM - 6GB
OS - win7 64bit Home

Budget range: My budget is $150 cdn before rebate. In canada I can expect a graphics to cost at least 10% more than in the USA. Often significantly more than 10%

Usage: My computer is primarily a HTPC. I would like to be able some recent games at a pretty good quality, highest not needed.

Monitor resolution: 1920X1080

I won't be doing any overclocking. I would also prefer a quiet card.

Preferred supplier - Using the Canadian versions, I would prefer amazon, memoryexpress, or NCIX. I am not against using newegg or tigerdirect.

I have been considering getting the sapphire radeon hd 7770 but I am not sure about it. I have concerns about using a card that needs a direct power input source. I am not sure how this is done and if my PSU supports it.

For the radeon Hd 7750, I do like that it is a single slot card and it doesn't require a second power source.

I am not familiar with with any of the manufacturers and whether some are better or worse.

Any help is appreciated

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

Nothing to worry about by a card that takes its power from the PCIe slot, the motherboard designs don't skimp on this at all.

It is actually considered quite the plus for a card to take all of it's power from the motherboard, rather than requiring external power connectors.

Your PSU will be able to support it without a problem, so I highly recommend you find a good price on Newegg.ca, Canada Computers, or NCIX for the HD 7750/7770.

They will be the cards that everyone recommends for you, because they are perfect for your needs.

jjim26

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
It is actually considered quite the plus for a card to take all of it's power from the motherboard, rather than requiring external power connectors.

The 7750 doesn't need an external power connector and that makes it better? Can you explain some more.

I have read the sites review on the 7750 and 7770. It seems like both cards are almost equal, are there any noticeable situations where the 7770 performance would be better than the 7750?

jjim26

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
When playing games I would prefer to set the resolution at 1920 X 1080.

Between the 7750 and 7770, I am leaning towards the 7770. However I am now considering getting the GTX 650 Ti. For my needs, would the GTX 650 Ti be excessive and I would be better off saving the extra $30+?

Also, if I get the GTX 650 Ti would a dual fan card be recommended?