Closed Solved

New build, not sure

I am building my first machine this week. I do not need to overclock, game, or any of that.
I will be using onboard graphics and the memory is for virtual guests to receive 4gb each.
I just need to make sure that I am correct in my research and that these components
are all compatible and will support virtualization for 2 or 3 guests not doing much. Thanks
in advance!

cpu - i5 3570 77w quad core 3.4(3.8)ghz (supports everything but hyperthreading)
mobo - MSI ZH77A-G43 intel H77 HDMI sata 6Gb/s usb 3.0 atx
ram - corsair xms 16gb(2 x 8gb) ddr3 1333 (nothing fancy)
psu - seasonic m12II 620w bronze atx12v/eps12v modular (may upgrade so went with 620w)
case - haf 912 (looks like the best cheap case I can find)
cd/dvd burner - asus oem
storage - ocz vert 4 128 gb 2.5" ssd
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build sure
  1. Best answer
    I say buy it. SInce your not doing a whole bunch just surfing the web and such.. on a small fast machine... looks good enough to me
  2. I would look into a Zalman Z11plus but more personal choice than anything
    I like the 912 but it lacks USB3

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zalman-case-z11plushf1
  3. Hey, ghost. If you're going Integrated Graphics, the i5-3570k's HD 4000 is a definite step up from the graphics of the non-k CPU.

You could also opt for a PSU with lower wattage since you're not going to use a discrete card and you're not going to game.

What programs/applications are you thinking of running?

And what sort of upgrades are you thinking of?
  4. faster23rd said:
    Hey, ghost. If you're going Integrated Graphics, the i5-3570k's HD 4000 is a definite step up from the graphics of the non-k CPU.

You could also opt for a PSU with lower wattage since you're not going to use a discrete card and you're not going to game.

What programs/applications are you thinking of running?

And what sort of upgrades are you thinking of?

The k does not support the virtual needs I have unfortunately.

I really do not know much about psu's I just went with that from reviews/price/ability to add stuff. Thanks I might go with a cheaper one.

Mainly linux os's, lamp stack, I am teaching myself to geek harder basically.

Honestly I do not know. Just in case? Thanks again for advice.
  5. Well a lower wattage PSU would be something like the CX430 or CX500

I would prefer to not use integrated graphics (lags when both CPU and GPU are demanding a lot from the memory)
  6. stickmansam said:
    Well a lower wattage PSU would be something like the CX430 or CX500

I would prefer to not use integrated graphics (lags when both CPU and GPU are demanding a lot from the memory)

Thanks for input, I will consider getting the card if I can fit one in my budget.
  7. ^on the topic of cheap cases the 200R is decently priced right now too
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139018&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

EDIT: They sold out :(
  8. smorizio said:

Wow that is cheap and sleek. Thanks a lot!
  9. eth0ghost said:
    The k does not support the virtual needs I have unfortunately.

I really do not know much about psu's I just went with that from reviews/price/ability to add stuff. Thanks I might go with a cheaper one.

Mainly linux os's, lamp stack, I am teaching myself to geek harder basically.

Honestly I do not know. Just in case? Thanks again for advice.

Ahhh. Alright, in that case the 3570 is a good choice. Well, the only thing taht you can eventually upgrade to is a graphics card, and a 620w PSU will be more than enough.
  10. Wow you guys are on top of the cases. Thanks a lot, I think I will get a usb 3.0 able case.
  11. Well unless someone can give me a reason why this build would not be good for vbox or qemu + kvm I will be building this weekend. I think it would do fine supporting, at most, 3 guests with 1 core per and 1 for host. Thanks a lot for all the replies guys.
  12. eth0ghost said:
    Well unless someone can give me a reason why this build would not be good for vbox or qemu + kvm I will be building this weekend. I think it would do fine supporting, at most, 3 guests with 1 core per and 1 for host. Thanks a lot for all the replies guys.

Good luck, bud. If you've got questions, don't hesitate to check in with the community again.
  13. faster23rd said:
    Good luck, bud. If you've got questions, don't hesitate to check in with the community again.

Actually now that I am getting more into hardware and fixing pc's on the side, I shall most likely be lurking around and posting a lot.
    Thanks for the positive vibes man!
  14. Nice! I was introduced to Tom's almost a year ago and learned enough from the pros that I can help around in some capacity here. Don't forget to mark this post as "SOLVED" if you're already satisfied with the answers you got.
  15. Best answer selected by eth0ghost.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product