Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

New build, not sure

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
February 5, 2013 3:32:08 AM

I am building my first machine this week. I do not need to overclock, game, or any of that.
I will be using onboard graphics and the memory is for virtual guests to receive 4gb each.
I just need to make sure that I am correct in my research and that these components
are all compatible and will support virtualization for 2 or 3 guests not doing much. Thanks
in advance!



cpu - i5 3570 77w quad core 3.4(3.8)ghz (supports everything but hyperthreading)
mobo - MSI ZH77A-G43 intel H77 HDMI sata 6Gb/s usb 3.0 atx
ram - corsair xms 16gb(2 x 8gb) ddr3 1333 (nothing fancy)
psu - seasonic m12II 620w bronze atx12v/eps12v modular (may upgrade so went with 620w)
case - haf 912 (looks like the best cheap case I can find)
cd/dvd burner - asus oem
storage - ocz vert 4 128 gb 2.5" ssd

More about : build

Best solution

February 5, 2013 3:53:46 AM

I say buy it. SInce your not doing a whole bunch just surfing the web and such.. on a small fast machine... looks good enough to me
Share
Related resources
February 5, 2013 4:03:31 AM

Hey, ghost. If you're going Integrated Graphics, the i5-3570k's HD 4000 is a definite step up from the graphics of the non-k CPU.

You could also opt for a PSU with lower wattage since you're not going to use a discrete card and you're not going to game.

What programs/applications are you thinking of running?

And what sort of upgrades are you thinking of?
Score
0
February 5, 2013 4:08:27 AM

faster23rd said:
Hey, ghost. If you're going Integrated Graphics, the i5-3570k's HD 4000 is a definite step up from the graphics of the non-k CPU.

You could also opt for a PSU with lower wattage since you're not going to use a discrete card and you're not going to game.

What programs/applications are you thinking of running?

And what sort of upgrades are you thinking of?






The k does not support the virtual needs I have unfortunately.

I really do not know much about psu's I just went with that from reviews/price/ability to add stuff. Thanks I might go with a cheaper one.

Mainly linux os's, lamp stack, I am teaching myself to geek harder basically.

Honestly I do not know. Just in case? Thanks again for advice.
Score
0
February 5, 2013 4:14:58 AM

Well a lower wattage PSU would be something like the CX430 or CX500

I would prefer to not use integrated graphics (lags when both CPU and GPU are demanding a lot from the memory)
Score
0
February 5, 2013 4:19:49 AM

stickmansam said:
Well a lower wattage PSU would be something like the CX430 or CX500

I would prefer to not use integrated graphics (lags when both CPU and GPU are demanding a lot from the memory)



Thanks for input, I will consider getting the card if I can fit one in my budget.
Score
0
February 5, 2013 4:23:28 AM

eth0ghost said:
The k does not support the virtual needs I have unfortunately.

I really do not know much about psu's I just went with that from reviews/price/ability to add stuff. Thanks I might go with a cheaper one.

Mainly linux os's, lamp stack, I am teaching myself to geek harder basically.

Honestly I do not know. Just in case? Thanks again for advice.


Ahhh. Alright, in that case the 3570 is a good choice. Well, the only thing taht you can eventually upgrade to is a graphics card, and a 620w PSU will be more than enough.
Score
0
February 5, 2013 4:25:13 AM

Wow you guys are on top of the cases. Thanks a lot, I think I will get a usb 3.0 able case.
Score
0
February 5, 2013 1:18:48 PM

Well unless someone can give me a reason why this build would not be good for vbox or qemu + kvm I will be building this weekend. I think it would do fine supporting, at most, 3 guests with 1 core per and 1 for host. Thanks a lot for all the replies guys.
Score
0
February 5, 2013 1:37:48 PM

eth0ghost said:
Well unless someone can give me a reason why this build would not be good for vbox or qemu + kvm I will be building this weekend. I think it would do fine supporting, at most, 3 guests with 1 core per and 1 for host. Thanks a lot for all the replies guys.



Good luck, bud. If you've got questions, don't hesitate to check in with the community again.
Score
0
February 5, 2013 1:41:29 PM

faster23rd said:
Good luck, bud. If you've got questions, don't hesitate to check in with the community again.



Actually now that I am getting more into hardware and fixing pc's on the side, I shall most likely be lurking around and posting a lot.
Thanks for the positive vibes man!
Score
0
February 5, 2013 1:48:39 PM

Nice! I was introduced to Tom's almost a year ago and learned enough from the pros that I can help around in some capacity here. Don't forget to mark this post as "SOLVED" if you're already satisfied with the answers you got.
Score
0
February 5, 2013 1:52:41 PM

Best answer selected by eth0ghost.
Score
0
!