Closed

What is Windows 7 (branded)???

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2012 6:33:14 PM

Hi :) 

Its an OEM version...legally its GOT to be sold with hardware...everyone ignores that but its still ILLEGAL..

All the best Brett :) 
March 10, 2012 6:46:01 PM

Oooh, well then.. ... it's a good thing its being sold with my hardware. :sol: 
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 10, 2012 6:53:58 PM

Yes OEM versions of Windows are just copies of the OS that are made to be installed on pre built machines. The OS itself is exactly the same as regular retail copies, the only real difference is that you get less support and you can only install it on a single machines at a time.

I don't understand what Brett is saying about it being illegal, as if it was then many stores and especally etailers where OEM OS's are sold the most would be sued.
Score
a c 403 $ Windows 7
March 10, 2012 7:03:20 PM

Newegg has 64 bit OEM Home Premium for $79.99.

EMCYTZT1292 < Coupon
Score
March 11, 2012 10:19:28 AM

Quote:
... the only real difference is that you get less support and you can only install it on a single machines at a time.

What do you mean by less support?

Quote:
Newegg has 64 bit OEM Home Premium for $79.99.

EMCYTZT1292 < Coupon

Thanks for the code, but I think I need to get the pro version for video editing; I'll keep this in mind just in case.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 11, 2012 11:10:50 AM

You don't get support from MS, but from your PC vendor, for using OEM .

That Dell brand W7 is system lock so you need a Dell brand PC and only work on newer Dell with SLP 2.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 11, 2012 1:51:06 PM

Plus OEM is locked to the first PC it's activated on. Retail can be transferred to another machine.

As a side note, Brett has turned into a serial spammer so take it with a pinch of salt.
Score
March 11, 2012 9:44:41 PM

pauls3743 said:
Plus OEM is locked to the first PC it's activated on. Retail can be transferred to another machine.

As a side note, Brett has turned into a serial spammer so take it with a pinch of salt.

That is very good to know. I wipe my computer every once and a while (not the Windows wipe but like D.O.D. and all); if I did get an OEM Windows will I be able to reload the OEM Windows back to the computer?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 11, 2012 9:48:04 PM

Yes. You just can't install the OEM copy on two of more machine at the same or different time. OEM sticks to one machine, unlimited time install.
Score
March 11, 2012 10:07:30 PM

Pyree said:
Yes. You just can't install the OEM copy on two of more machine at the same or different time. OEM sticks to one machine, unlimited time install.

Sorry for the million questions... so if my computer dies unexpectedly and I needed to get a new PC, will I still be able to use the same OEM? Would the Retail be better to get then?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 11, 2012 10:12:16 PM

If you get a replacement mobo, call up MS and tell them what happen, then yes.
Score
March 11, 2012 10:28:19 PM

Pyree said:
If you get a replacement mobo, call up MS and tell them what happen, then yes.

So would getting the Retail version be a better choice? And jut so I'm clear, the Retail ones are the ones that are like $130+ (pro version) and OEMs are branded?
Score
a c 403 $ Windows 7
March 11, 2012 10:30:41 PM

Yes with retail you can then transfer to new PC.
Score
March 12, 2012 1:14:00 AM

Pyree said:
You don't get support from MS, but from your PC vendor, for using OEM .

That Dell brand W7 is system lock so you need a Dell brand PC and only work on newer Dell with SLP 2.

So is this true for all branded Win7(I've seen an HP one)? If I built a custom PC and buy the branded Win7 (from here: http://www.esuperdeal.com/cgi-bin/ait-detail.asp?produc...) it will not work on my custom PC?
Score
a c 403 $ Windows 7
March 12, 2012 1:15:54 AM

Even if it did activate it's only good for that motherboard.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2012 1:21:55 AM

It will install but won't stay activate. SLP 2.1 table in the mobo required. Unless you know how to add one in yourself (and I am not going to help you with that since it is against all copy right law possible).
Score
March 13, 2012 12:45:26 AM

Pyree said:

Quote:
It will install but won't stay activate. SLP 2.1 table in the mobo required. Unless you know how to add one in yourself (and I am not going to help you with that since it is against all copy right law possible).
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, this seems to be contradictory. I don't plan on doing anything with SLP 2.1 since I know nothing about that and I really don't care too. I just want to know if the Branded Win7 work on custom PCs because the websites say they do. My assumption was because they where branded they had bloat ware and that's why they are much cheaper.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 13, 2012 1:03:26 AM

The branded W7 is very likely to require SLP and follow the rules of OEM copy of W7.

A no brand W7 don't need SLP and of course, also follow the rules of OEM W7.

I think if I put them together in comparison, it will be easier to understand.
Score
March 13, 2012 1:59:44 AM

Pyree said:
The branded W7 is very likely to require SLP and follow the rules of OEM copy of W7.

A no brand W7 don't need SLP and of course, also follow the rules of OEM W7.

I think if I put them together in comparison, it will be easier to understand.

So do you think those websites are lying when when they say "will work on any PC"?
Score
March 13, 2012 2:32:33 AM

[quotem
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 13, 2012 5:06:18 AM

They may not be lying.

They SLP Window b4. Those copy they sell, I am not sure if they are SLP or not.

My words are, you should take it as, words of caution.
Score
March 13, 2012 5:37:30 AM

Pyree said:
They may not be lying.

They SLP Window b4. Those copy they sell, I am not sure if they are SLP or not.

My words are, you should take it as, words of caution.

Oh I see. Definitely words for thought. Thanks
Score
March 13, 2012 12:55:09 PM

Quote:
Product Review
Decent Value, September 27, 2011
Posted By: ComputerGenie
Disks are new, but COA stickers are obviously from refurbished units.

Nice service, thanks!, February 2, 2012
Posted By: N. Perry
Delivered was as promised and everything works great. I had a problem activating my product key, I called in and got set up. I had to phone in to microsoft and they activated the key for me over the phone. Took about 5 minutes and worth the savings of buying it here. Thanks!

This came from the review section from this site: http://www.softwaresupplygroup.com/microsoft-windows-7-....

Interesting Article:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/is-it-ok-to-use-oem-wind...
Score
March 18, 2012 12:43:51 PM

Best answer selected by SoundSurj.
Score
a c 403 $ Windows 7
March 18, 2012 1:03:03 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!