Question for Aussies - Re: Import duty on lenses from the ..

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 20, 2005 12:45:57 AM

Hi there..

Just having a look at B&H photo in the states you can buy a Nikon
80-200 f2.8 for roughly $1100 AUD (not including shipping) I have no
idea how much shipping is but lets call it $150 AUD (including
insurance). From the customs site, I figure that the cost of importing
is based on the cost of the goods to me and works like this.

Customs value 1,100.00
Customs duty @ 5 per cent x $1,000 55.00 (Payable)
International transport and insurance 150.00

VoTI 1,305.00
GST @ 10 per cent x $1,305.00 130.50 (Payable)
Total payable (customs duty + GST) 185.50

Total cost to me $1435.00

Total cost of this lens from Dirtcheapcameras.com.au $2012.30

Saving $577 Or basically 25% cheaper Aussie cost...

Have I miscalculated here? Am I missing something? Does anyone have any
experience in this area?

The only thing I don't get is the warranty. But the savings seem pretty
substantial...
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 12:47:54 AM

Yes, you are right but you forgot GST. You have to add 10%.

<imodan@tpg.com.au>
:1127187957.932353.114210@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Hi there..
>
> Just having a look at B&H photo in the states you can buy a Nikon
> 80-200 f2.8 for roughly $1100 AUD (not including shipping) I have no
> idea how much shipping is but lets call it $150 AUD (including
> insurance). From the customs site, I figure that the cost of importing
> is based on the cost of the goods to me and works like this.
>
> Customs value 1,100.00
> Customs duty @ 5 per cent x $1,000 55.00 (Payable)
> International transport and insurance 150.00
>
> VoTI 1,305.00
> GST @ 10 per cent x $1,305.00 130.50 (Payable)
> Total payable (customs duty + GST) 185.50
>
> Total cost to me $1435.00
>
> Total cost of this lens from Dirtcheapcameras.com.au $2012.30
>
> Saving $577 Or basically 25% cheaper Aussie cost...
>
> Have I miscalculated here? Am I missing something? Does anyone have any
> experience in this area?
>
> The only thing I don't get is the warranty. But the savings seem pretty
> substantial...

September 21, 2005 2:02:16 AM

So a US warranty wouldn't be honored here? Are you sure about that? I
was always under the impression that a North American warranty would be
fine anywhere. Can anyone verify this? I bought a Canon EF lens when I
was in Calgary, and I'm pretty sure the guy at the store told me that
the warranty was good anywhere. Is it different for Nikon gear?

> The only thing I don't get is the warranty. But the savings seem pretty
> substantial...

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:10:08 AM

No, it won't be.

"Eugene" <nospamthanks@nospam.com>
???????:D goto5$2fi0$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
> So a US warranty wouldn't be honored here? Are you sure about that? I was
> always under the impression that a North American warranty would be fine
> anywhere. Can anyone verify this? I bought a Canon EF lens when I was in
> Calgary, and I'm pretty sure the guy at the store told me that the
> warranty was good anywhere. Is it different for Nikon gear?
>

>> The only thing I don't get is the warranty. But the savings seem pretty
>> substantial...

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:10:09 AM

"Cameras" <camera@ourbrisbane.com.au> wrote in message
> No, it won't be.
>
> "Eugene" <nospamthanks@nospam.com>
> ???????:D goto5$2fi0$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
>> So a US warranty wouldn't be honored here? Are you sure about that? I was
>> always under the impression that a North American warranty would be fine
>> anywhere. Can anyone verify this? I bought a Canon EF lens when I was in
>> Calgary, and I'm pretty sure the guy at the store told me that the
>> warranty was good anywhere. Is it different for Nikon gear?
>>

>>> The only thing I don't get is the warranty. But the savings seem pretty
>>> substantial...

Don't, under any circumstances, trust "the guy at the store" opinion on what
your warranty coverage will be. In frequent cases that coverage will vary
from country to country depending upon what item you are talking about
within the Canon or Nikon complete product line.
Check with the in-country distributor for the final word.
Bob
September 21, 2005 1:20:51 PM

Fortunately I never had to test the warranty because after 3 years the
lens is still working fine, but I'll definitely keep that in mind if I'm
ever making another overseas purchase. I didn't spend a huge amount on
it anyway, around $500 Canadian, so I wasn't too stressed about it. If
I'd been buying an L lens or a new camera I would definitely have wanted
more of an assurance. I got it from Vistek, which is a fairly large,
reputable Canadian retailer, but still you make a good point, it's
definitely best to be certain.

> Don't, under any circumstances, trust "the guy at the store" opinion on what
> your warranty coverage will be. In frequent cases that coverage will vary
> from country to country depending upon what item you are talking about
> within the Canon or Nikon complete product line.
> Check with the in-country distributor for the final word.
> Bob

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 1:20:52 PM

It is likely you would only be covered if you sent it back to where you
bought it.

"Eugene" <nospamthanks@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D gq5gg$2uhh$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
> Fortunately I never had to test the warranty because after 3 years the
> lens is still working fine, but I'll definitely keep that in mind if I'm
> ever making another overseas purchase. I didn't spend a huge amount on it
> anyway, around $500 Canadian, so I wasn't too stressed about it. If I'd
> been buying an L lens or a new camera I would definitely have wanted more
> of an assurance. I got it from Vistek, which is a fairly large, reputable
> Canadian retailer, but still you make a good point, it's definitely best
> to be certain.
>

>> Don't, under any circumstances, trust "the guy at the store" opinion on
>> what your warranty coverage will be. In frequent cases that coverage
>> will vary from country to country depending upon what item you are
>> talking about within the Canon or Nikon complete product line.
>> Check with the in-country distributor for the final word.
>> Bob

Anonymous
September 22, 2005 12:52:21 PM

There is a saving to be made. And not just on camera equipment either. After
some recent "cash positive" transactions in my favour, I am more and more
doing business with US based companies.

Example - I purchased a new Yoshimura exhaust for my motorbike from a US
company. All up I got it to my door step for about AU$480 inc all taxes and
delivery fees. To put that in to perspective, the identical item WHOLESALES
to the bike shops for around AU$650 before they put on their markup and
RETAIL it for around AU$850-900.

You can't beat that in any language. Just do your maths first :-)

Lachy
!