Sign in with
Your question

How big a PSU do I need?

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2013 11:32:48 AM

I'm currently building my first PC and I need some help with power supplies!

I've got a OCZ stealthXstream 500w PSU at the moment, and according to those online PSU calculators (which I know you take with a pinch of salt...) it should be plenty. But I've also had advice from friends who say 500w won't be enough for the rest of my components. Anyone here who can clear things up for me?

Here's my spec list;

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Mobo (not bought yet)
Asus DRW-24B5ST DVD-RW
Vertex 4 128GB SSD
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HDD (not bought yet)
Asus Radeon HD 7770 GPU (not bought yet)
3 x 4GB DDR3 RAM (not bought yet)
Antec 600 Case ( 1 x 140mm fan, 3 x 120mm fans)

and of course, the OCZ 500w stealthXstream PSU at the moment. Is that going to be any good, or should I be looking for something bigger?

Thanks!

More about : big psu

February 5, 2013 12:03:52 PM

500w is plenty for that system. However i would not use that PSU, it is not the best of quality, no certification, dual rails and low output at that.

You should get a PSU from a quality manufacturer such as antec, seasonic, enermax, pc power and cooling, xfx etc
February 5, 2013 4:26:40 PM

Thanks for the two quick responses!

I'm glad to hear the amount is fine - it's restored my faith in those online calculators! But I hear what you're saying about quality - I'll be keeping an eye out for certification ratings from now on. I don't want to blow up my PC before I can use it! I was pretty surprised though, I always though OCZ were a good brand?

As for the links from NooB12, do you happen to know prices of those two? I'm trying to keep costs to an absolute minimum, but equally I fully understand you get what you pay for, especially with power supplies, so I'm prepared to shed out a bit if I have to!

Thanks again!
!