Sign in with
Your question

Micro atx/mini itx build for around 700-900

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2013 12:59:24 PM

I am looking to build a small system that I can use in the living room on my 55" TV to play games with a wireless controller/kbm or move to my office when the GF doesn't want me using the TV.

Approximate Purchase Date: Between 2-4 weeks

Budget Range: Up to $900 with everything. Also willing to take a bit of extra time to get deals, but would like to be done before March.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming is the main purpose. The rest is normal usage. Word processing/web browsing etc.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: This is a new build. I have no parts to work with.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Doesn't matter as long as they have a solid rep. I would prefer amazon for the free shipping, but price > time.

Parts Preferences: None at this point. I prefer intel, but as long as it can last me for awhile it doesn't matter.

Overclocking: Down the road. Would like to get back in to it.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Want to be able to run things on my 55" TV at the best resolution possible for my budget. Also will be picking up a monitor to take the pc back and forth from the office/living room.

Additional Comments: Would like to be able to play blu-ray movies if it's cheap enough. Also I like the size of the Thermaltake Armor A30 and things along those lines. I don't mind going micro-atx at this point. Would like the PC to last at least a couple of years to get through grad school.
February 5, 2013 1:11:31 PM

Top end of the budget but should be a good rig for you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($58.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Armor A30 ATX Mini Tower Case ($108.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($77.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHOS104-06 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Drive ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $869.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-05 10:10 EST-0500)
February 5, 2013 1:52:00 PM

Looks pretty good. I do need a monitor though, and I don't have a Microcenter anywhere near me. All I have is a Tigerdirect store and the regular big box retailers. I saw Tigerdirect has the 3570k for 189 right now. Would that be worth picking up and maybe skimping a little else where? Or should I consider AMD to save in that department?
Related resources
February 5, 2013 2:49:25 PM

I think you could stick with intel here. A cheaper case would be a good start for saving some money, the thermaltake is quite pricey, only included it as you mentioned you liked it.

Stick with the 3470, cheaper case, drop to a 7870 rather than the XT and that should leave you enough to squeeze in the monitor.
February 5, 2013 2:57:13 PM

Yeah, I only mentioned that case as the only ones I could find that were similar seemed to have pretty crappy build quality. I just really like the small square-like form factor. Anything that fits that criteria would work just fine for me. We keep the TV on an entertainment stand, so with it being plasma I have a lot of room to put it behind. The GF just doesn't like having a regular tower (as she chewed out the roommate for bringing out his normal atx tower).
!