Possible damage to CPU?

failuresfail

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Hello,
I recently got my AsRock 970 Extreme 3 motherboard for my AMD FX 8350 CPU. I first breadbenched it to see if it functions correctly. The cpu fan spun and I thought everything was good.

Then I installed the motherboard into the case and after I hooked everything up, I turned on the power supply which was an OCZ modxtreme 600W PSU. I pressed the switch and the computer turns on for 1/4 of a second and everything shuts off. I then tested the motherboard with another PSU and the fan began to spun, it would not Post nor show display... I hooked back the OCZ PSU and it also works, but turns out that the reason why it was turning off in 1/4 of a second is because the fan connector that FAN 1 is supposed to go to had molex plugged into it with the fan and the power molex also was plugged into the power supply... which I think caused a short on the motherboard... Would this do any damage to my CPU, RAM, HDD, and Video Card? Can anyone confirm it was a short and not a defective motherboard? If everything is fine what is wrong with the system?

Specs:
AMD FX8350 CPU
G.skill DDR3 8gb 1600 12800 4 gig x2 RAM
AsRock 970 Extreme 3 motherboard
OCZ ModXtreme 600 W PSU
Sentey optimus Case
Seagate 7200rpm 1tb HDD and 2 more 200 gigs

failuresfail

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

should I RMA the motherboard then?

make sure you have the motherboard correctly placed on the standoffs and the 4/8 pin power and the 24 power connection are plugged in the right spots. After that see if the PC boots up correctly and if so you are good to load your OS.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Yeah will be ok, I would be more worried if it was a short on the back of the motherboard.
Damage to the board can be done that way. But your fine Psu probably kicked in with it`s circuit protection, and the Psu was a quality one so it did it`s job right Phew eh !

failuresfail

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

lol if i haven't done that I wouldn't be posting

failuresfail

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

so should I RMA the motherboard or is there a fix to it?