Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire 7950 OC Activity and Temp Issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2012 8:38:20 AM

Okay so I have a Sapphire 7950 3gb OC. Temps have been hovering around 68-70 degrees Celsius. What bothers me the most is not just the temp but the activity. It's frigging stuck at 85-87%. It does not matter if I'm playing Far Cry 3 or doing jack, its always at 85%-87%.

I have several questions:

Why in the world is activity stuck at 86%? It's like my card won't go idle.

What's the safe operating temp range for my card? I read somewhere that the real dangerous temps is around 90 above. While I'm not worried that its going to immediately crash or anything I am worried that it will affect my card's lifespan. What temperature levels will have a negligible effect on my card's lifespan?

Is there any tool I can use to detect if there's any issues with my card?
December 21, 2012 9:17:04 AM

85 is the highest you'll want to go, to be on the safe side of things. 90 - and it starts to get dangerous.
How are you measuring the activity usage? MSI Afterburner? - You could attempt to use MSI Kombustor's 'furry test thing' to check the usage, temps, etc and see if any tearing, etc appears
AFAIK, there's no reliable GPU diagnostic tools out there
m
l
December 21, 2012 11:44:11 AM

Ohh ok. Last question, is a marked rise in temperature normal? This is my first major investment in a computer. I bought my GPU when it first came out. My question is could the new drivers be the reason behind the sudden increase in temps?
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2012 12:59:18 PM

Nevermind I downloaded the MSI afterburner and it still says the same thing about performance and temps
could there be something running in the background causing all this?
m
l
December 23, 2012 11:25:23 AM

Possibly. AFAIK the only graphics intensive program that runs in the background is FAH when you're using your GPU to fold.
m
l
!