Bandwidth Limit

Hey,

So I have a relativly simple question. I have a sonicwall AccessPoint with a WPA2-E encryption and the guy on the phon from tech support is telling me that even though its a wireless N router and its enterprise level the most I can get out of it with is 27mb download... and I am paying for 50mb with comcast.
Is this true?

Thanks again,
Light.
10 answers Last reply
More about bandwidth limit
  1. Seems like that is a bit light, they must not support packet aggregation limiting you to 300mbps (instead of the 600mbps that unit will do), which still should give you a maximum transfer rate of 37.5mBps.

    Does your Internet come in directly to the AP, with no router ahead of it in the connection?
  2. Yes, Wireless N is 300 Mbits per second, or about 30 Mbytes per second (due to wireless link overhead). So, 27MBps is within 10%, and I would be happy to see that over wireless!

    To see your full 50MBps speed you must use an Ethernet cable.
  3. So as long as I am using some type of network encryption 27 is acceptable ?
  4. RealBeast said:
    Seems like that is a bit light, they must not support packet aggregation limiting you to 300mbps (instead of the 600mbps that unit will do), which still should give you a maximum transfer rate of 37.5mBps.


    The conversion from link speed (in bits per second) to a real data transfer speed (in bytes per second) is about 1/10, not 1/8. This has been a common point of confusion ever since 10baseT, and now extends to 802.11x ratings.
  5. ilikegirls said:
    So as long as I am using some type of network encryption 27 is acceptable ?

    Yes, I would consider 27 acceptable in real world usage. You might be able to get close to 30 with a synthetic network test, but real world is always lower.
  6. PhilFrisbie said:
    Yes, I would consider 27 acceptable in real world usage. You might be able to get close to 30 with a synthetic network test, but real world is always lower.


    So how come I still cant get above 20 at best and most of the time I get in the teens...
  7. Plus, what would I need to do to get around 45-50? Im paying for that so I want to get it
  8. Your speed will be limited not only by your connection speed to your Internet service provider (ISP), but also the slowest connection speed between your ISP and the server, by the speed of the server itself, and also the write speed of your hard drive.

    For example, I have 8Mbps download speed, but I rarely get more than 5Mbps to a single server. However, if I download 2 or 3 streams simultaneously from different servers I can always max out my download speed.
  9. Okay that makes sense, my problem with this is that even though I understand the limit im still getting 10Mbps and not the 27 or even 30 im looking for
  10. Just remember that your Internet bandwidth is only the MAX possible, and not a guarantee. . .
Ask a new question

Read More

Bandwidth Networking