Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

help for age of empires gold editioon

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 5:41:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

hi! I sure hope somebody can help me. I had aoe installed,everything went
fine,till one day I had to use my restore DVD to restore my hard drive. now,
game won't install! it either gets to 9% and starts running
slooooooooowly,and stops every two minutes or so to say my hard drive is
full. ha-ha,I have 105 gigabytes free on my computer,so why does it do
this?and sometimes it says the correct cd is not in the drive,even tho it is!
if I keep clicking ignore on the hard disk message, it will go to 100%,but
when I try to open the game ,it says the files are corrupted! please help!
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:29:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

"smilyandrosie1986" <smilyandrosie1986@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E1214CAD-41E2-4F1C-A430-06171697AD2A@microsoft.com...
> hi! I sure hope somebody can help me. I had aoe installed,everything went
> fine,till one day I had to use my restore DVD to restore my hard drive.
> now,
> game won't install! it either gets to 9% and starts running
> slooooooooowly,and stops every two minutes or so to say my hard drive is
> full. ha-ha,I have 105 gigabytes free on my computer,so why does it do
> this?and sometimes it says the correct cd is not in the drive,even tho it
> is!
> if I keep clicking ignore on the hard disk message, it will go to 100%,but
> when I try to open the game ,it says the files are corrupted! please help!

Sounds like the CD is damaged. Or the drive itself needs a clean.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
http://www.dasmirnov.net/
http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.

*Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:29:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

hey paul,thanks for your reply. I just cleaned both the cd and the drive,any
other suggestions? p.s. i was able to install simcity 4 today with no
problems,but this one wont work.

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> "smilyandrosie1986" <smilyandrosie1986@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:E1214CAD-41E2-4F1C-A430-06171697AD2A@microsoft.com...
> > hi! I sure hope somebody can help me. I had aoe installed,everything went
> > fine,till one day I had to use my restore DVD to restore my hard drive.
> > now,
> > game won't install! it either gets to 9% and starts running
> > slooooooooowly,and stops every two minutes or so to say my hard drive is
> > full. ha-ha,I have 105 gigabytes free on my computer,so why does it do
> > this?and sometimes it says the correct cd is not in the drive,even tho it
> > is!
> > if I keep clicking ignore on the hard disk message, it will go to 100%,but
> > when I try to open the game ,it says the files are corrupted! please help!
>
> Sounds like the CD is damaged. Or the drive itself needs a clean.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/
> http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.
>
> *Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 1:51:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

ok folks, thanx for the help. i went ahead and bought a new cd, works fine.
guess it was a scratch on the disk.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 3:35:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

"smilyandrosie1986" wrote:
> hey paul,thanks for your reply. I just cleaned both the cd and
> the drive,any
> other suggestions? p.s. i was able to install simcity 4 today
> with no
> problems,but this one wont work.
>
> "Paul Smith" wrote:
>
> > "smilyandrosie1986" <smilyandrosie1986@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:E1214CAD-41E2-4F1C-A430-06171697AD2A@microsoft.com...
>  > > hi! I sure hope somebody can help me. I had aoe
> installed,everything went
>  > > fine,till one day I had to use my restore DVD to
> restore my hard drive.
>  > > now,
>  > > game won't install! it either gets to 9% and starts
> running
>  > > slooooooooowly,and stops every two minutes or so to
> say my hard drive is
>  > > full. ha-ha,I have 105 gigabytes free on my
> computer,so why does it do
>  > > this?and sometimes it says the correct cd is not in
> the drive,even tho it
>  > > is!
>  > > if I keep clicking ignore on the hard disk message,
> it will go to 100%,but
>  > > when I try to open the game ,it says the files are
> corrupted! please help!
> >
> > Sounds like the CD is damaged. Or the drive itself needs a
> clean.
> >
> > --
> > Paul Smith,
> > Yeovil, UK.
> > http://www.dasmirnov.net/
> > http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.
> >
> > *Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*
> >
> >
> >

I’m having kinda the same difficulty: Install works all the way
through the last file, says 100%, but just hangs there and never
actually finishes. The game won’t run, saying the CD is not in the
drive.

I’m also using Windows XP. The CD is brand new.

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Games-help-age-empires-gol...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1122696
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 11:28:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

"smilyandrosie1986" wrote:
> ok folks, thanx for the help. i went ahead and bought a new
> cd, works fine.
> guess it was a scratch on the disk.

As for my problem, I installed it on my Windows 98 Virtual PC. Works
fine. Mild annoyance to have to load up Virtual PC to run it, but oh
well.

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Games-help-age-empires-gol...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1124583
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 1:37:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

Hi PiMaster,

CD Not In The Drive you say?

Before we begin troubleshooting the issue, if you have more than one
DISC player (CD/DVD/CDRW/DVDR/ETC) in your system, I've seen
this type of problem resolved by simply using the other DISC player. :-)

Here are some other more involved solutions which have worked:

1. Before we begin, please save a restore point for your system.
How to use Windows XP System Restore:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/geth...

2. You might be affected by problems similar to the Insert CD error.
- Try the advice and DL at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228985
Another trick that I found sometimes works is to make the limited account an
administrator account and run that game once. This should create the registry
settings and permissions for that user to be able to properly run the game.

3. Kazaa or Kazaa light is installed on your system.
- Uninstall the game(s) and Kazaa, and reinstall from original CD.

4. Multiple CD drives on your system including Virtual CD drives.
- Disconnect all but the main CD drive and try the game. You
might have an older drive, or a CD Writer which is incompatible
with the Safe Disk copy protection on the CD. (Contact Vendor).

5. Your antivirus or application firewall might be conflicting with it.
- Disable the software temporarily.

6. There might be a patch available for your game to correct the issue.
- Try www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a/ or the game's site.

7. Your desktop may need to be set at least 800x600 and 16 colors.
- Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel / Click Display

8. Your Video, Sound, or Monitor drivers may need updating.
- Try updating your Video drivers using the instructions at:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers

9. You might have software running on your system which is causing conflicts.
- Temporarily disable Startup programs one at a time, starting with Firewall,
AV, and ad blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php
You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full...

10. If you created other drive letters on your system by installing another drive,
creating partitions or virtual drives you may need to change the CD back
to the same drive letter it was originally. Usually the CD uses the letter D:
- Click Start / Run / type: diskmgmt.msc < to access the tool to change it.

11. Maybe a Microsoft Security patch is the culprit. The only way to be sure is
to Unplug from your Internet connection, and then repair Windows using
this method: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

After you reboot, try the game again. If it works, save a new restore point.

Lastly, boot up your system, turn on your XP Internet Firewall, plug back
into your Internet connection and install all Critical and Recommended updates
from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com one at a time. Test the game after
each update to find which is causing the game not to start on your PC. :-)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
_________________________________________________________



"PiMaster" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message news:3_1122696_bdb178347344be02e1e1fbc95c645dcb@windowsforumz.com...
> "smilyandrosie1986" wrote:
> > hey paul,thanks for your reply. I just cleaned both the cd and
> > the drive,any
> > other suggestions? p.s. i was able to install simcity 4 today
> > with no
> > problems,but this one wont work.
> >
> > "Paul Smith" wrote:
> >
> > > "smilyandrosie1986" <smilyandrosie1986@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > > message news:E1214CAD-41E2-4F1C-A430-06171697AD2A@microsoft.com...
> >  > > hi! I sure hope somebody can help me. I had aoe
> > installed,everything went
> >  > > fine,till one day I had to use my restore DVD to
> > restore my hard drive.
> >  > > now,
> >  > > game won't install! it either gets to 9% and starts
> > running
> >  > > slooooooooowly,and stops every two minutes or so to
> > say my hard drive is
> >  > > full. ha-ha,I have 105 gigabytes free on my
> > computer,so why does it do
> >  > > this?and sometimes it says the correct cd is not in
> > the drive,even tho it
> >  > > is!
> >  > > if I keep clicking ignore on the hard disk message,
> > it will go to 100%,but
> >  > > when I try to open the game ,it says the files are
> > corrupted! please help!
> > >
> > > Sounds like the CD is damaged. Or the drive itself needs a
> > clean.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Paul Smith,
> > > Yeovil, UK.
> > > http://www.dasmirnov.net/
> > > http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP Resource Site.
> > >
> > > *Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by e-mail*
> > >
> > >
> > >
>
> I’m having kinda the same difficulty: Install works all the way
> through the last file, says 100%, but just hangs there and never
> actually finishes. The game won’t run, saying the CD is not in the
> drive.
>
> I’m also using Windows XP. The CD is brand new.
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Games-help-age-empires-gol...
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1122696
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 2:44:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

"Jimmy S." wrote:
> Hi PiMaster,
>
> CD Not In The Drive you say?
>
> Before we begin troubleshooting the issue, if you have more
> than one
> DISC player (CD/DVD/CDRW/DVDR/ETC) in your system, I've seen
> this type of problem resolved by simply using the other DISC
> player. :-)
>
> Here are some other more involved solutions which have worked:
>
> 1. Before we begin, please save a restore point for your
> system.
> How to use Windows XP System Restore:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/geth...
>
> 2. You might be affected by problems similar to the Insert CD
> error.
> - Try the advice and DL at:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228985
> Another trick that I found sometimes works is to make the
> limited account an
> administrator account and run that game once. This should
> create the registry
> settings and permissions for that user to be able to
> properly run the game.
>
> 3. Kazaa or Kazaa light is installed on your system.
> - Uninstall the game(s) and Kazaa, and reinstall from
> original CD.
>
> 4. Multiple CD drives on your system including Virtual CD
> drives.
> - Disconnect all but the main CD drive and try the game.
> You
> might have an older drive, or a CD Writer which is
> incompatible
> with the Safe Disk copy protection on the CD.
> (Contact Vendor).
>
> 5. Your antivirus or application firewall might be
> conflicting with it.
> - Disable the software temporarily.
>
> 6. There might be a patch available for your game to correct
> the issue.
> - Try www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a/ or
> the game's site.
>
> 7. Your desktop may need to be set at least 800x600 and 16
> colors.
> - Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel / Click Display
>
> 8. Your Video, Sound, or Monitor drivers may need updating.
> - Try updating your Video drivers using the instructions
> at:
> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers
>
> 9. You might have software running on your system which is
> causing conflicts.
> - Temporarily disable Startup programs one at a time,
> starting with Firewall,
> AV, and ad blockers using:
> http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php
> You can lookup what a program does before you disable
> it here:
>
> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full...
>
> 10. If you created other drive letters on your system by
> installing another drive,
> creating partitions or virtual drives you may need to
> change the CD back
> to the same drive letter it was originally. Usually
> the CD uses the letter D:
> - Click Start / Run / type: diskmgmt.msc < to
> access the tool to change it.
>
> 11. Maybe a Microsoft Security patch is the culprit. The
> only way to be sure is
> to Unplug from your Internet connection, and then repair
> Windows using
> this method:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> After you reboot, try the game again. If it works, save a
> new restore point.
>
> Lastly, boot up your system, turn on your XP Internet
> Firewall, plug back
> into your Internet connection and install all Critical and
> Recommended updates
> from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com one at a time.
> Test the game after
> each update to find which is causing the game not to start
> on your PC. :-)
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell /
> User
> Jimmy S.
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>
> Game FAQs:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or
> Call / Contact
> MS Support at:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I
> confer any rights.
> _________________________________________________________
>
>
>
> "PiMaster" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> news:3_1122696_bdb178347344be02e1e1fbc95c645dcb@windowsforumz.com...
> > "smilyandrosie1986" wrote:
>  > > hey paul,thanks for your reply. I just cleaned both
> the cd and
>  > > the drive,any
>  > > other suggestions? p.s. i was able to install
> simcity 4 today
>  > > with no
>  > > problems,but this one wont work.
>  > >
>  > > "Paul Smith" wrote:
>  > >
>   > > > "smilyandrosie1986"
> <smilyandrosie1986@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>   > > > message
> news:E1214CAD-41E2-4F1C-A430-06171697AD2A@microsoft.com...
>  > >  > > hi! I sure hope somebody can help
> me. I had aoe
>  > > installed,everything went
>  > >  > > fine,till one day I had to use my
> restore DVD to
>  > > restore my hard drive.
>  > >  > > now,
>  > >  > > game won't install! it either gets
> to 9% and starts
>  > > running
>  > >  > > slooooooooowly,and stops every two
> minutes or so to
>  > > say my hard drive is
>  > >  > > full. ha-ha,I have 105 gigabytes
> free on my
>  > > computer,so why does it do
>  > >  > > this?and sometimes it says the
> correct cd is not in
>  > > the drive,even tho it
>  > >  > > is!
>  > >  > > if I keep clicking ignore on the
> hard disk message,
>  > > it will go to 100%,but
>  > >  > > when I try to open the game ,it says
> the files are
>  > > corrupted! please help!
>   > > >
>   > > > Sounds like the CD is damaged. Or the drive
> itself needs a
>  > > clean.
>   > > >
>   > > > --
>   > > > Paul Smith,
>   > > > Yeovil, UK.
>   > > > http://www.dasmirnov.net/
>   > > > http://windows.dasmirnov.net/ Windows XP
> Resource Site.
>   > > >
>   > > > *Replace nospam with smirnov to reply by
> e-mail*
>   > > >
>   > > >
>   > > >
> >
> > I’m having kinda the same difficulty: Install works all the
> way
> > through the last file, says 100%, but just hangs there and
> never
> > actually finishes. The game won’t run, saying the CD is not
> in the
> > drive.
> >
> > I’m also using Windows XP. The CD is brand new.
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> standards
> > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Games-help-age-empires-gol...
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1122696

I really appreciate all that advice, I know it took a while to type
up. But like I said, I got it working in Windows 98 emulated, and I’m
having no problems with anything else. Don’t rock the boat, you know?
But again, thanks.
!