Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Creating custom shortcuts in Windows 7 (turn my mouse into a remote)

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • Mice
Last response: in Windows 7
March 10, 2012 7:50:12 PM

I've been wanting to get myself this mouse for a while and it's finally gone on sale. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004AM5RAM/ref=s9_simh_...

But I'm not entirely sure if it can do one of the primary things I would like to use it for. I know it has a plethora of short-cut keys intended for gaming (12 near the thumb and 5 others spread along the mouse). What I would like to do is find a way to program these keys to do things outside of gaming. I do play games, so they will be used for their original purpose, but I would like to use the mouse as a remote control. For example, when I play music in iTunes, or movies in VLC, I would love to program some of the shortcut keys to work as volume, play/pause, fast-forward/rewind keys. That way I could sit back on my couch and use the mouse like a real remote.

I've tried to Google information on how the mouse works, but every source/review site I find only presents the basics that are written on the box. I haven't been able to find any source that details the software behind it. Does anyone know how to do what I'd like to do here? Can it even be done?

More about : creating custom shortcuts windows turn mouse remote

March 10, 2012 8:13:48 PM

are you using the software that came with the mouse? ( i use a logitech g400 and have to program the buttons using their software )
m
l
March 10, 2012 8:20:47 PM

I don't know... I haven't ordered the mouse yet. That's why I'm waiting before I buy, I want to know if it can be done.

If it can't I'll probably go for a more run-of-the-mill mouse. Like a nice wireless Logitech or a Steelseries.
m
l