Creating custom shortcuts in Windows 7 (turn my mouse into a remote)

I've been wanting to get myself this mouse for a while and it's finally gone on sale. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004AM5RAM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d6_g23_i2?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=045EZ7VB8H7RV4QR6CW1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383511&pf_rd_i=915398

But I'm not entirely sure if it can do one of the primary things I would like to use it for. I know it has a plethora of short-cut keys intended for gaming (12 near the thumb and 5 others spread along the mouse). What I would like to do is find a way to program these keys to do things outside of gaming. I do play games, so they will be used for their original purpose, but I would like to use the mouse as a remote control. For example, when I play music in iTunes, or movies in VLC, I would love to program some of the shortcut keys to work as volume, play/pause, fast-forward/rewind keys. That way I could sit back on my couch and use the mouse like a real remote.

I've tried to Google information on how the mouse works, but every source/review site I find only presents the basics that are written on the box. I haven't been able to find any source that details the software behind it. Does anyone know how to do what I'd like to do here? Can it even be done?
2 answers Last reply
More about creating custom shortcuts windows turn mouse remote
  1. are you using the software that came with the mouse? ( i use a logitech g400 and have to program the buttons using their software )
  2. I don't know... I haven't ordered the mouse yet. That's why I'm waiting before I buy, I want to know if it can be done.

If it can't I'll probably go for a more run-of-the-mill mouse. Like a nice wireless Logitech or a Steelseries.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Mice