Sign in with
Your question

This box will not beat me! (help with random reboots, HP XW6200)

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2013 6:34:25 PM

Hi There. I have an old XW6200 that is giving me a run for my money. No...more than that. It's under my skin. Mine has two 3.20 GHz (2 MB L2 cache) processors.

The power supply burned out a while back (heavy burnzy electronic smell coming from it), so I replaced it. Ever since then, I've had pretty random sudden shutdowns. I assumed the PSU took something else down with it.

Here is what I've done to track it down:

--PSU: Replaced with 500W power supply (Same wattage as original).
--Video Card: Exchanged with a new NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 1024MB. No change.
--Software. Currently running Ubuntu 12.04, previously Windows 7. Shutdowns with both OS.
--Cooling. Thinking it might be overheating, I replaced CPU fans, and improved case airflow. CPU temps are stable, and stay around 45c.
--Motherboard: Thinking it was a blown cap, etc...I bought a used identical replacement MB. No change.
--BIOS: Upated bios to latest.
--RAM: Thinking it might be RAM, I replaced the 2GB (4x512MB) with used OEM 8GB (4x2GB). No change.

This week, I've been playing around with Phonorix testing suite, and found a test that consistently causes a shutdown. Huzzah!

Having ruled out cooling and ram (at least initially...still need to run a full memtest), I am still looking at the PSU being the culprit. I started removing nonessential parts and re running test.

Removed some USB stuff, an HDD, 1/2 of the ram, a non-important fan. Still nothing.

FINALLY, when I removed one of the processors, I can run the same test and there is no shutdown. Processor back in, problem is back. I tried all the combinations of processors I could think of.

P1 in bank 1, bank 2 empty Test completes.
P2 in bank 1, bank 2 empty. Test completes.
P1 in bank 1 + P2 in bank 2. Reboots during test.
P2 in bank1, P1 in bank 2 . Reboots during test.
P1 in bank 2, bank 1 empty. Not allowed by bios.
P2 in bank 2, bank 1 empty. Not allowed by bios.

So, having 2 processors == reboot, regardless of configuration.

On a whim, I've ordered 2 more processors to test with. ($9 for the pair, ebay). When they get here, I'll do the same tests, but I assume I'll see the same results. Also, now that I can run it without the reboot, I'll do a rull memtest.

I'm thinking this is a power issue, though I don't know what the nature of the issue is. My gut says get a bigger/better PSU, and try that. Maybe a 750W or something similar.

Anyone have any other thoughts? Something else I can try? This box will not beat me...
a b α HP
February 5, 2013 6:40:11 PM

What brand is the PSU you used when you replaced it?
m
l
February 5, 2013 6:46:20 PM

I'll post the brand and specs when I get home. It was whatever the local computer shop (now OOB) suggested.
m
l
February 5, 2013 10:42:24 PM

tiny voices said:
What brand is the PSU you used when you replaced it?

The power supply is an Apevia Switching Power Supply, Model # WIN-500XSPX 500W.

This one (Newegg). Reviews are mixed...
m
l
a b α HP
February 5, 2013 11:06:38 PM

That is a very low quality supply which is likely to fail. Recommended brands are Antec, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic.
m
l
February 5, 2013 11:21:32 PM

If those processors are p4's they cou'ld be pulling close to 300 watts just from the 4 pin ATX power connector under load . Thats 25 amps .

You'd need a psu that can supply 25amps + the draw from the 24 pin connector .
m
l
February 6, 2013 1:59:20 AM

Thank you for these insights. They are indeed P4's. Sounds like power is definitely my problem.

I'll go look at those brands, and specifically look an Antec, XFX, Corsair or Seasonic and specifically which can handle those amperage numbers. I'll then return and report.
m
l
February 6, 2013 4:21:50 AM

This one looks like it would do the job.

Corsair TX650 (Newegg)

It offers 54A on a single 12V rail.

+3.3V@30A, +5V@30A, +12V@54A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.0A

Lots of good reviews on Newegg and Amazon. Think this would handle my old P4's?
m
l
February 6, 2013 6:20:34 AM

The TX 650 is a decent quality unit and since you dont have a powerful graphics card drawing on the 12 v rails I think you will be fine with 54 amps
m
l
February 6, 2013 8:24:16 PM

Bumped up to the TX750 for good measure.

+3.3V@30A, +5V@30A, +12V@62A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.0A

m
l
February 12, 2013 2:06:42 AM

Ok, looks like the TX750 is doing the trick. Huzzah. Got it all plugged in and ran the same stress test that consistently shut me down before. The CPU's ran at 80-100% for 8 or 9 minutes with no issues. Looks like that was the fix.

The interesting thing to me is that the original PSU had two 12V rails,, 11.4A on each with a max combined power (on both 12V rails only) of 456W. The Apevia had two 12V rails, 15A on each with a max combined power (on both 12V rails, plus 3.3V and 5V rails) of 480W. I don't know how much amperage those 3.3V and 5V rails demand running normally in my system... if it wasn't much, it seems like that Apevia should have worked. I guess if the P4 were just asking for too much power.

This TX750 is a monster. I can see how the modular psu's would be useful. There was enough room to hide all the extra cables. Now my 7 year old computer can keep on runnin'.

Thanks for all the input.
m
l
August 5, 2013 5:37:25 AM

Thanks for this subject and posting the solutions. I am buying one of these boards for the Xeon SL9HA processor, and I needed to know what power supply I could use. Thanks again! lewisdata
m
l
!