Sign in with
Your question

What GPU I should get for gaming? MB Asrock z77 extreme4 & I5 3570K

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2012 3:46:42 PM

I'm new to this. I'm building a new one for gaming and photo editing right now. I have Mobo Asrock Z77 Extreme4 and CPU i5 3570k. What GPU should i get? a single high quality one or 2 mid range for SLI?
budget is about $300-$400.
Thanks,
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 4:22:41 PM

Going to have to agree with TheBigTroll, Get the GTX 670. A single high end card is pretty much always better than going 2 mid range cards. In my opinion the only reason to do SLI/Crossfire is if 1 high end card isn't enough power so you need 2 high end cards.
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 4:23:39 PM

there no reason the 7970 should be less stable, i know a few people who have em and run great.

any proof of instability?

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 4:25:08 PM

iceclock said:
7970 is quite stable dude, and yeah the gtx 670 is quite good also.

both make great choices.

and if u can afford 60$ more the gtx 680 is def choice, if not the above is great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Err your math is a bit off lol that is ~$97 more.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 4:26:48 PM

iceclock said:
there no reason the 7970 should be less stable, i know a few people who have em and run great.

any proof of instability?

I think he is referring to the frame latency issue. It is not a huge deal but it is slightly less "smooth" than the nvidias.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 4:28:18 PM

yeah they are good. just that i heard somewhere where they tested the cards and when slowed down, you can see the 7950 or 70 have a bit of stuttering
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 4:31:31 PM

TheBigTroll said:
yeah they are good. just that i heard somewhere where they tested the cards and when slowed down, you can see the 7950 or 70 have a bit of stuttering

Yea the AMD cards have higher frame latency that causes some slight "stuttering" and really isn't anything you will really notice unless you are looking for it... But it is still there. For me that is enough to go with nvidia, but by no means is the 7970 a bad card.
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 4:33:08 PM

i guess, but for 99% of the time does it matter? i dont know much about this frame latency issue. care to expand ur answer and explanation.

because the only thing i know is active vsync is better on nvidia cards currently than on amd.

this latency issue i dont know about.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 4:37:32 PM

thanks. i was kinda relating to that article
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 4:51:58 PM

is this fixable via a new driver that amd could pull out, or is this permanent problem? also is this micro stuttering happening on other ati cards, and if so witch please thanks.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 4:54:59 PM

iceclock said:
is this fixable via a new driver that amd could pull out, or is this permanent problem? also is this micro stuttering happening on other ati cards, and if so witch please thanks.

This was an issue with both nvida and amd for a few years now... Nvidia has fixed it AMD has not. Sure you could get an AMD but it could be as long as years or as short as days before the issue is fixed. I believe it is mainly a driver issue, but as i said it has been around for awhile and AMD has not fixed it yet.
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 4:57:12 PM

also thats stuttering doesnt seem to be active in every game, and most 99% of people wont notice this issue.

its the type of issue that seems to happen only if u really look for it.

m
l
a c 275 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 5:04:36 PM

Xants said:
I'm new to this. I'm building a new one for gaming and photo editing right now. I have Mobo Asrock Z77 Extreme4 and CPU i5 3570k. What GPU should i get? a single high quality one or 2 mid range for SLI?
Thanks,

Your budget for a graphics card is appropriate with a 3570K.
My rule of thumb for a gamer is 2x the cpu cost for the graphics card. You are good there.

Some photo editing apps can use the CUDA capabilities of a Nvidia card, so I would favor NVIDIA.
Perhaps a GTX670.

sli of lesser cards may look good in synthetic benchmarks, but be prone to annoying microstuttering.
Read about it here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...
And, some games do not play well with dual cards.

Add in higher psu, motherboard, and cooling costs, and I would stick with a good single card when there is one that will do the job.
m
l
December 21, 2012 5:07:57 PM

Don't start off in a crossfire/sli setup. It limits your upgrade options in the future and can cause undue headaches in some titles that may not support dual card solutions 100%. My advice is always to buy the best single card you can. That way you can crossfire/sli in the future if you so choose. Now if you start off with 2x670/680 or 2x7950/7970, that's another story.

Personally I'd say grab a 670. A stock 670 runs within 5-10% of a 680 for $100 less and you can get a factory OC'ed 670 that will match/beat a stock 680 for a slight premium over the stock 670 price. IMHO 680's are not worth the cost increase for the slight performance bump, unless of course, you have the money to burn and want the absolute best. Otherwise the extra $100 is better spent on a SSD/CPU cooler or saved toward your next upgrade.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 5:16:45 PM

xFriarx said:
Don't start off in a crossfire/sli setup. It limits your upgrade options in the future and can cause undue headaches in some titles that may not support dual card solutions 100%. My advice is always to buy the best single card you can. That way you can crossfire/sli in the future if you so choose. Now if you start off with 2x670/680 or 2x7950/7970, that's another story.

Personally I'd say grab a 670. A stock 670 runs within 5-10% of a 680 for $100 less and you can get a factory OC'ed 670 that will match/beat a stock 680 for a slight premium over the stock 670 price. IMHO 680's are not worth the cost increase for the slight performance bump, unless of course, you have the money to burn and want the absolute best. Otherwise the extra $100 is better spent on a SSD/CPU cooler or saved toward your next upgrade.

There's a good reason to never ask you for advice! :lol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 5:16:47 PM

GTX 670 will be the best bang for your buck. Both the 7970 and 670 will run amazingly on 1920 X 1080. There might be a game that favors amd more or nvidia more but you won't feel any difference in any game on the 1080p. If you are going for multiple monitors or higher res, then the 7970 is your definite choice. So flip a coin and make your choice.
m
l
December 21, 2012 5:20:15 PM

Mousemonkey said:
There's a good reason to never ask you for advice! :lol: 

Then what do you recommend? If your going to snipe people trying to help, back up your response with an alternative. Or else quit trolling.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 5:22:11 PM

xFriarx said:
Then what do you recommend? If your going to snipe people trying to help, back up your response with an alternative. Or else quit trolling.

Watch the attitude. :non: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 5:23:52 PM

xFriarx said:

Watch the attitude or Mmonkey might abuse his power :D 
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 5:27:59 PM

hes a mod, just go with what he says. nothing else to say here.

;)  continue the good work mousemonkey
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 5:29:15 PM

Commandermadi said:
Watch the attitude or Mmonkey might abuse his power :D 

Abuse no, exercise yes.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 5:30:32 PM

iceclock said:
;) continue the good work mousemonkey

Thank you and I shall endeavour to do so.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 5:40:47 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Abuse no, exercise yes.

I am kidding man you the best :sol: 
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 5:42:11 PM

Commandermadi said:
I am kidding man you the best :sol: 

Thank you, its very kind of you to say that.
m
l
December 21, 2012 5:45:45 PM

What attitude? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I was being serious.

If you would have at least offered an explanation of why my viewpoint, which is echoed by many others, is wrong, then this would be an entirely different story and I would have no issue.

Instead, the issue I have, is that you're insulting someone, with a coy little one liner no less, who is offering widely echoed advice, while provide no alternative, reasoning or proof to support why said information is incorrect. (Which I consider trolling).

I have no problem admitting my faults, but without information to show that my view is incorrect, how can I change the advice I give?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 5:47:23 PM

I'd get the GTX670 especially if you're thinking in the future you may add a 2nd GPU, SLI still has the smoothest gaming feel.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 5:52:21 PM

Xants said:
Thanks,

That is something that you really need to sit down and think about, 2x 660Ti's will give you the same or better performance than a single 680 in games that support SLi (and most games do these days) but will leave no room for upgrading but then if you go for a single 680 and decide in a years time to go SLi will you be able to find another one new or will you have to get a second hand card that may have been OC'd to within an inch of its life? And what about cards that have been released in the meantime? A single one of them may be a better upgrade than running two of whatever you decide to go with in the first place. There are other considerations but I hope you get the gist.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 5:52:28 PM

littleleo said:
I'd get the GTX670 especially if you're thinking in the future you may add a 2nd GPU, SLI still has the smoothest gaming feel.

Agreed. SLI is much better than Crossfire imo.
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 5:54:38 PM

i prefer 1 great card than running 2, less power hungry, stable performance, and less heat desipated in ur case.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 5:55:28 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That is something that you really need to sit down and think about, 2x 660Ti's will give you the same or better performance than a single 680 in games that support SLi (and most games do these days) but will leave no room for upgrading but then if you go for a single 680 and decide in a years time to go SLi will you be able to find another one new or will you have to get a second hand card that may have been OC'd to within an inch of its life? And what about cards that have been released in the meantime? A single one of them may be a better upgrade than running two of whatever you decide to go with in the first place. There are other considerations but I hope you get the gist.

So... how are you worse off going with the 680 over 2 660 ti's? Sure you might get slightly better performance in SOME games with the 660 ti.. but you would need a bigger PSU, use more power to run... produce more heat.... and have a harder upgrade path. You argue your point by supporting his, I don't get it. lol
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 5:56:40 PM

xFriarx said:
What attitude? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I was being serious.

If you would have at least offered an explanation of why my viewpoint, which is echoed by many others, is wrong, then this would be an entirely different story and I would have no issue.

Instead, the issue I have, is that you're insulting someone, with a coy little one liner no less, who is offering widely echoed advice, while provide no alternative, reasoning or proof to support why said information is incorrect. (Which I consider trolling).

I have no problem admitting my faults, but without information to show that my view is incorrect, how can I change the advice I give?

I run two SLi rigs and always do SLi from the get go, that's why I would never listen to your advice. SLi has advantages that the OP may or may not be interested in but if you don't or have never used SLi then you wouldn't understand.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 5:56:57 PM

The only thing that can be taken from that article is that that specific HD7950 card exhibited high latency periods as compared to that specific GTX 660Ti card. Unless you test multiple cards across multiple platforms, you cannot simply state "AMD has a latency problem". For instance, in that same article it mentions a similar test conducted between an HD 7970 and GTX 680 and there were no latency issues.

OP: Look at benchmarks for games you like to play and buy the best card you can comfortably afford. Some games favor AMD cards, some games favor nVidia cards.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:00:43 PM

Derza10 said:
So... how are you worse off going with the 680 over 2 660 ti's?

If your single 680 develops a problem that results in an RMA then you will be without a GPU until it's returned, if one of my 660's needs to be RMA'd I will continue to game on a single 660 until the second one is returned. :sol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:01:12 PM

You also seem to think because getting a new card when you need more power vs getting a second 680 in sli is more of an issue than needing to replace BOTH 660 ti's with a new card?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:02:58 PM

Mousemonkey said:
If your single 680 develops a problem that results in an RMA then you will be without a GPU until it's returned, if one of my 660's needs to be RMA'd I will continue to game on a single 660 until the second one is returned. :sol: 

Hmmm well going sli because you are counting on hardware failing seems.... well crazy lol...
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:03:24 PM

Derza10 said:
You also seem to think because getting a new card when you need more power vs getting a second 680 in sli is more of an issue than needing to replace BOTH 660 ti's with a new card?

What! That makes no sense at all, take a minute to breath and try again.
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:04:02 PM

i see it like this, i prefer 1 card working stable and not having to deal with a second faulty one, etc. also sli is alot more expensive.

but ur right mouse, sli does have it advantages :) .

i never get sli or crossfire because i find its more expensive than its worth.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:04:42 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I run two SLi rigs and always do SLi from the get go, that's why I would never listen to your advice. SLi has advantages that the OP may or may not be interested in but if you don't or have never used SLi then you wouldn't understand.

Why not provide these advantages rather than just saying we wouldn't understand? Your arguement seems very flimsy to me.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:07:51 PM

Mousemonkey said:
What! That makes no sense at all, take a minute to breath and try again.

OK well i might have rushed my post there lol.. What i meant to say... if you need to upgrade from a single 680 but can't find a second one and end up getting another single card solution... how is that any different then needing to upgrade your 660 ti's and getting a single new card to replace them?
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:08:45 PM

Derza10 said:
Hmmm well going sli because you are counting on hardware failing seems.... well crazy lol...

It's called hedging your bets, the problem with failures is that they can and do just happen sometimes and if they don't happen I still have more power than a single 680 and by the time a single 680 is not enough there should be newer cards on the market and my two cards can go into two different machines.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:11:14 PM

Derza10 said:
Why not provide these advantages rather than just saying we wouldn't understand? Your arguement seems very flimsy to me.

Your single card argument is just as flimsy to me, why would I want to put all my eggs into one basket?
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:12:18 PM

read ur pm mouse, :) 

m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 6:14:14 PM

xFriarx said:

hey watch your tone. Your talking to a moderator
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:14:16 PM

Hmm...and folks wonder why I steer clear of this section...I wonder?! :whistle: 

Xants said:
What GPU should i get? a single high quality one or 2 mid range for SLI?

A single GPU is always best and SLI/CF if a single simply won't cut it or after the fact if you need better (faster) rendering.

Unless you state what specific games you play, resolution & refresh rate of your monitor(s), average FPS is 'your' minimum tolerance, and level of details that your like (eg. MSAA) then all anyone can do is simply guess.

In the $300-$400 range either the HD 7970 or GTX 670 are the typical options. Some games are 'nVidia' optimized to utilize PhysX special effects and therefore can only be seen with an nVidia GPU. The HD 7970 in raw FPS is typically faster but AMD lacks nVidia's 'Adaptive vSync' so often the 'average' FPS is higher on the nVdia's even though the raw FPS is faster on the AMD; tearing. If you have a >60 Hz monitor then I'd go for the HD 7970, and I'd check out MSI or XFX; on the nVidia side MSI, ASUS or EVGA.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:14:53 PM

Mousemonkey said:
It's called hedging your bets, the problem with failures is that they can and do just happen sometimes and if they don't happen I still have more power than a single 680 and by the time a single 680 is not enough there should be newer cards on the market and my two cards can go into two different machines.

And my 680 can go into another computer when i upgrade it... And from what you just said i would assume you have other computers.. as do i... so if my 680 fails i still have that computer... Your arguement seems to be for very specific situations that most likely won't apply to the OP. Sure you can always find some reason to justify anything, but putting someone down for recommending a very solid suggestion just isn't the right way to go about getting your views out.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:29:07 PM

Derza10 said:
And my 680 can go into another computer when i upgrade it... And from what you just said i would assume you have other computers.. as do i... so if my 680 fails i still have that computer... Your arguement seems to be for very specific situations that most likely won't apply to the OP. Sure you can always find some reason to justify anything, but putting someone down for recommending a very solid suggestion just isn't the right way to go about getting your views out.

and just because you don't like the idea of dual cards that is no reason to belittle the idea if that is what the OP is asking about is it? Some of us have been running dual card rigs for years without any of the problems that the naysayers are always harping on about but but somehow our opinions don't matter because those advocating the use of a single card are always the ones making "solid suggestions", well you can take that suggestion and shove it where the sun doesn't shine for all I care because I know for a fact that SLi is also a "solid suggestion".
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2012 6:31:36 PM

i agree sli is better but more costly, thats the only downside of running sli or crossfire, the extra cost, but when u can get a decent deal on 2 cards i have no reason to say otherwise for the performance increase, even since the voodoo days sli has existed, but today it shines compared to oldschool cards.

m
l
!