How to delete windows.old with Securom without affecting current games

Kimikaze

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I'm trying to delete the windows.old folder, but found out that I have Securom and it's preventing me from doing so. There are two files that are apparently encrypted with strange names and I've found some advice on how to completely remove Securom from my computer. However, I just want to make sure that I don't remove it completely as I'm currently playing Company of Heroes: Game of the Year edition (Amazon download) and the Mass Effect 2 demo. Any advice on how to remove the files in windows.old only? Does this involve deleting specific registry keys, too? Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Here's a screengrab of the files in question.

Capture.jpg

Yeah, I know I'm in the minority, but I'm willing to live with Securom... for now. :whistle:

caqde

Distinguished
Unless you have permission issues deleting the files the advice dealing with the registry is only for the securom that your Windows is aware of. But this would be for the old Windows that you are not running (Windows.old) so unless it is personal information or saved games feel free to delete away.

The only advice you might need to look into deals with the security tab for file properties that may effect your permissions with certain files. Otherwise as far as what is in Windows.old you should only be looking for or moving things like tax files, saved games, pictures, photos, Application settings (firefox etc), and videos etc somewhere safe or needed. Everything else Windows won't need or care if it is there as far as Windows is concerned it is a file that is unassociated with the current OS feel free to kill it.