February 5, 2013 8:03:55 PM

Currently I have
Pegatron MZN78-la Motherboard
AMD PhenomII x4 910 processor
AVC CPU Cooler
4x 2GB ddr2 10600 ram
ATI Radeon HD 4350
ATX 300W Power supply

Would like top of the line graphic card, power supply and double the ram. Thats the order of importance to me. Here is the problem. Keep it under $400.

More about : upgrade suggestions

February 5, 2013 8:21:24 PM

I'm not a big gamer some Diablo and so on. Mainly surf the web and stream media. Do I really need a whole new system? If so the new AMD FX eight core has been calling my name lately. But I wanted to use what i have for 2 - 3 more years if possible. And since its only ddr2 shouldnt i at least upgrade to ddr3? Will that even work with this pos mobo?
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
February 5, 2013 8:25:01 PM

You should be fine for casual gaming, but if you wanted to start playing more intensive games like BF3 at higher settings, then you would need to fully upgrade the system to play at high settings.

Nope, if you want DDR3 you need a new mobo, and by extension CPU.
m
l

Best solution

February 5, 2013 9:18:24 PM

manofchalk said:
8GB of RAM is plenty for gaming. Also thats DDR2, not DDR3 memory.

Get an XFX Core 550W Supply. $75 ($10 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and an ASUS HD7850. $200 ($10 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any card higher than that (and I suspect this one) will be bottlenecked by the CPU. Quite simply you have to upgrade the whole system.

Being someone who makes a living off of building and selling computers - I couldn't agree more. This is about the best way you could say it.

Your processor is alright, but it will start to hold you back after you get any higher than 7770/7850 or 650ti/660. The PSU listed here is top of the line and cant be beat.

Also - somewhere in this thread I saw that you wanted DDR3 RAM??? Technically speaking, yes - DDR3 is faster on paper. But due to the lower latencies and timings for DDR2, in the real world, DDR2 will perform identical or better than DDR3; just not in benchmarks - as those are specifically programmed for DDR3 memory.

If there's any other type of upgrade you would want to do (if you wanted to push your budget), you could get a new motherboard - possibly a AM3+ 970/990FX chipset motherboard ($70-100) - since then you could upgrade your RAM to DDR3 as you so desire ($30) and your processor later when you want that shiny 8-Core.

That puts you at almost exactly $400.
February 5, 2013 10:01:39 PM

Yeah just upgrade your PSU and your video card to 7850 (2 gigs) it will "blow the doors off" your current HD 4350. Then wait a few years build a new system your current one with those two upgrades will probably hold you over for the next 2 years since you play casually.
m
l
February 6, 2013 1:12:18 AM

Yes i have been fighting with myself on wether to get a whole new system or upgrade just a few things. My current pc is just over 3 years old and has been fine. I do have the money for a whole new system but I'm not sure that I want to spend it. lol Can you describe the difference in the timing of different memory sticks? 8 -8 -24??? Whats better, how big is the difference.
m
l
a c 106 B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 2:55:28 AM

TBH im not entirely sure on what the timings represent myself, but from what I'v gathered in a nutshell, its how fast the RAM responds to data requests from the OS.
Lower timings are better. However, dont expect to see noticeable performance difference between CL9 and CL7 RAM, faster memory doesn't lead to much of a performance boost except in some specific situations and usages.
Your standard 1600Mhz, CL9 RAM is more than enough for the majority of rigs.

Also as a general rule, a faster frequency is better than lower timings.
m
l
February 10, 2013 11:15:51 PM

Best answer selected by Syres1.
m
l
!