Sign in with
Your question

windows millenium edition

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Anonymous
February 4, 2002 1:56:40 AM

Hello,

I seem to have a problem shutting down when I turn off my computer. When I go to shut down in windows, after ok is clicked on shut down,

on normal operation the computer turns off by itself without any problems.

when it is not acting normal, the screen will turn black, and the hard drive will shut down, as well as both lights on the computer, but the computer is in some standby state where the power supply is still running. I would have to reset the computer and turn it off another time, sometimes repeatedly. Another case is where all of the above happens but the screen says "It is now safe to turn off your computer", and when I try to turn it off nothing happens and I have to reset it.

I am using windows millenium edition, and the reason why I suspect the operating system is at fault is because once I had to install it in a small hard drive, and I installed the minimum amount of stuff possible. With minimal installation, I have no problems shutting down. I've asked someone who is also using windows me and they encountered it as well, but not as often as I do. I think that it may be some setting in the operating system that is causing this, but I am unsure. One other thing that I noticed was that when I turn off the monitor before the computer shuts down, this "standby state" happens. I don't know whether it has something to do with this though. It may also be some power setting in windows or perhaps bios. It's probably happend to other users of windows me before. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks
February 4, 2002 4:17:57 PM

Are you shutting down via the Start menu or by using your power button? Check your power settings, the button may be set to put the machine on standby or hibernate rather than powering it off. (Assuming you're using the button).

Also, pressing the button to shut off the computer isn't enough. You must press and hold the button for at least 5 seconds to power it off. This can be changed in the BIOS depending on what type of computer you have. (The big OEMs don't allow you to change this setting).

Good Luck!

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
February 6, 2002 4:15:04 PM

use windows98 SE instead! and install the bootfix from the MS website.

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
!