My PC is Slow?

ThatGuyWhoCouldFly

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Now, I don't know where to really put this. So apologizes, but it is general discussion of Windows 8. Anyways, my computer is pretty freaking slow now. I've had it for 6 months and I don't know what the reasons are. Here are my specs:

Intel 3930k @3.6GHz, 32GB DDR3 Ram, Asus Rampage Extreme Mobo, 360GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 3TB HDD, GTX 670 4GB FTW, Corsair 800w PSU

Now It's a pretty strong and fast machine. It was extremely fast when I built it. I could open applications immediately. Now not so much. I have over 50GB free on the SSD which is my primary drive. I have Avast Anti Virus and I've done a full system scan, as well as with Windows Defender too see if any viruses, malicious ware, or spyware is on there. It is completely clean. I do have some trainers for games however so there is something too take in to account. I also use CCleaner regularly. My money is on some sort of virus of some sort or something. I try and optimize my drives weekly. My computer is up to date with Windows 8. Is there anything else I can do to make my PC faster and like it was before? I do have a lot of software on the drive, but like I said it's over 50GB and my Steam Games are saved on another hard drive. Thanks for the help! Extremely appreciate it!

Solution
Hi,

First, you can try doing a SYSTEM RESTORE to one of the earliest points (start at the latest and work backwards).

Second, if you are going to reinstall make sure that you create BACKUP IMAGES. You spent a LOT of money so buy Acronis True Image 2013.

Acronis True Image 2013:
I have this setup to AUTOMATICALLY make backups of my SSD to the Hard Drive. I use an INCREMENTAL method (custom) and a backup each week for about 10 weeks (then it overwrites) so I can RESTORE to any week back as far as 12 weeks.

Total space required for all 10 weeks is roughly 120GB (40GB main, plus 4x5GB incrementals).

Other backup:
Make TWO backups that are NEVER DELETED.

Backup#1 - Immediately after installing Windows 8 (just drivers and Acronis, no...

ThatGuyWhoCouldFly

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
That's probably what I'm going to have to do. It's really my last option but you're right. It's too bad that the general performance is like this. However, this never happened on my old PC. I mean it would take a year or so to go down but now It's only been about six months. :(

do this..boot into safe mode and run msconfig and turn off everything off. then reboot and check that your mb bios is up to date. a lot of the new mb have windows 8 bios patches. if the system runs better there may be a damaged program in start ups. go back into msconfig and turn on one program at a time and see if the speed slows down. also in windows check that you only have one anti virus or one malware program running. one thing also to check is if you ran hijackthis that you uninstall teatime. teatime something that it drops and runs at start up. one other issue i found is the mvp software that bonds ipgpu and the gpu that comes with most mb cd is buggy. check that you did not install that software.

ThatGuyWhoCouldFly

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

If by that you mean if I look in Task Manager and go to services and look under S. There is nothing called superfetch :/

ThatGuyWhoCouldFly

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

So what would you recommend? Doing a fresh install again with Windows 8?

ThatGuyWhoCouldFly

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

I will take all your consideration, but it's gonna be a real pain in my behind to turn on each program and such, but for the greater good, I will do it.

ThatGuyWhoCouldFly

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

Yeah I agree, I like the feeling of having a clean brand new PC. I don't have time now, maybe on the weekend or so. Thanks for the advice!

Hi,

First, you can try doing a SYSTEM RESTORE to one of the earliest points (start at the latest and work backwards).

Second, if you are going to reinstall make sure that you create BACKUP IMAGES. You spent a LOT of money so buy Acronis True Image 2013.

Acronis True Image 2013:
I have this setup to AUTOMATICALLY make backups of my SSD to the Hard Drive. I use an INCREMENTAL method (custom) and a backup each week for about 10 weeks (then it overwrites) so I can RESTORE to any week back as far as 12 weeks.

Total space required for all 10 weeks is roughly 120GB (40GB main, plus 4x5GB incrementals).

Other backup:
Make TWO backups that are NEVER DELETED.

Backup#1 - Immediately after installing Windows 8 (just drivers and Acronis, no updates) AND with Windows 8 ACTIVATED (thus Restoring does NOT require you to re-Activate. There are a limited number.)

Backup#2 - Microsoft Updates, Applications etc

Solution

ThatGuyWhoCouldFly

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

I will do that. Thanks!