metaldox

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I am moving into a house with tenants. We have to share our internet connection with them. I am also building a home network for sharing files, printers and streaming content. I do not want them to see my files or contents. Is there any way I can share the internet connection with them but my files stays with my computers. I have a desktop which will will be the main server with windows 7 and 2 laptops also Windows 7. I am not sure about there computers. The ISP gives only a modem if that helps.

skaz

Distinguished
You will need a router to share the internet connection from the modem. Preferably a wireless router. Depending on the router you get you have a couple different options.

A. You can set up a guest network on the router that would allow the other tenants to connect to without seeing any of your devices on your private main network. This would be preferred if I were in your shoes. It would give them their own SSID and password.

B. You can set up a homegroup with windows 7 or manually pick and choose the files you want to share and choose the PCs you want to be able to connect to these files.

metaldox

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply.
I prefer option 1 better can U give me a few recomandations on which router I should buy? Thanks