Sign in with
Your question
Closed

BUYING GAMING COMPUTER $2,000-2600

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2013 10:43:14 PM

Hello,
I am buying a new computer for mainly gaming and am aiming around to spend 2,000ish dollars. I mainly play World of Warcraft and honestly know nothing about computers other then I use them all the time. I have heard mixed things about whether i5 processors and i7's are the same except i7 only helps recording purposes... idk if this is true or i7 can help game quality too? Anyways all I'm gonna be doing pretty much is playing games, watching movies, and youtube videos.
a b 4 Gaming
February 5, 2013 11:00:25 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
Score
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2013 12:01:29 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BJ2V

the most you're looking to spend on, and most likely overkill for WoW alone, sans keyboard, mice, monitor(s), and a case much to your liking. recommended if you're thinking of getting a single 1600p monitor or three 1080ps

you can go lower if you're not interested in overclocking the CPU and/or running two cards in SLI/crossfire and just want a single 1080p monitor.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BJ7Q

deduct another $40 for a DVD drive, if you're more a Netflix person than a Blu-Ray kinda guy.
Score
Related resources
February 6, 2013 10:23:57 AM

Hazle said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BJ2V

the most you're looking to spend on, and most likely overkill for WoW alone, sans keyboard, mice, monitor(s), and a case much to your liking. recommended if you're thinking of getting a single 1600p monitor or three 1080ps

you can go lower if you're not interested in overclocking the CPU and/or running two cards in SLI/crossfire and just want a single 1080p monitor.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BJ7Q

deduct another $40 for a DVD drive, if you're more a Netflix person than a Blu-Ray kinda guy.

Hazle, isn't that too cheap tho? I mean honestly like I said I know nothing about computers but I feel like I am going to buy an awesome computer so why not make it one of the best? So I could really buy something for 2,000$+ if it could be even better.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2013 10:43:39 AM

zreznikoff said:
Hazle, isn't that too cheap tho? I mean honestly like I said I know nothing about computers but I feel like I am going to buy an awesome computer so why not make it one of the best? So I could really buy something for 2,000$+ if it could be even better.

Nope, after a certain performance/price level (usually around 1k - 1.3k) you are either just paying for cosmetic fluff, extreme markups, apple stuff, or just buying an item that costs 500% more than a similar item for a 2% upgrade over a lower priced item. (examples are an i5 vs i7 for pure gaming)
Score
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2013 10:44:39 AM

Go for a z77 mobo - and i5 3570K and a decent cpu cooler - hyper 212 evo will do.
I would also 2x your ssd. The GTX670 - great card.
-Bruce
Score

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2013 1:27:55 PM

zreznikoff said:

:bounce:  SURPRISE! GAMING PC's DOESN'T HAVE TO COST A LOT! YAYYY :bounce: 

as mouse24 has gracefully pointed out, if you really want to be practical about it, after a certain price point, you gain very little on spending more;

-an i7 will only benefit you in a very, very small percentage of games and even then you gain 10fps more at best
-a $100+ CPU cooler will only give you a few degrees celsius less for 3-4 times the price
-4x8gb 2133mhz rams are not going to improve your gaming performance by a lot
-motherboards don't really affect gaming performance by much in most cases outside of letting you OC your CPU, which any decent board from a good brand can do.
-the 690 are just two underclocked 680's, which perform too close for comfort with the 670.

neither of these justify the costs in a gaming PC unless you're aiming for looks or bragging rights. worst off, you can spend on a bigger case and a larger/more SSDs/HDDs.

after all that, i'd personally recommend spending on a 2560x1600 monitor or 3 sets of decent 1080p monitors, seeing as you're getting 2x670's, which would be horribly wasted on a single 1080p monitor. the former costs $600-700+ and the latter can rack up to $600-650 at most, if you wanna be reasonable. add in a quality mouse and keyboard and you're spending $2000+ for it all.
February 6, 2013 3:24:03 PM

Best answer selected by zreznikoff.
Score
!