Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Crossfiring Questions + PSU Rec

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2012 7:13:42 PM

Hi guys, I plan to corssfire 2 hd 7770's toghether, but before i make the purchase, there are some things i want to make sure of.

I already have one Asus HD 7770, but since i cant afford to buy another, my other hd 7770 will be an XFX. I will clock them to the same speed, no worries.

My concern is the amount of power these cards will need. My power supply is a certifed 750w.
Can it support an extra Card? Here are the components its running right now:

Core i7 2700k OC 4.5
32 GB 1600 ddr3 ram
HD 7770 1100mhz 1gb
120gb SSD
1TB HD
Small Molex Case lights
2 LED Fans
Small liquid CPU cooler

Will I have to buy a nbew power supply to cope for an extra HD 7770? If so, how much Wattage am i aiming for?

Also, both cards are top ventilating. I think the XFX has better heat sinks and airflow, so i will put it on top, making it the boss card. Does this matter?

Thanks in advance, you are really helping me out!!
December 21, 2012 7:37:08 PM

CaseyHo said:
Hi guys, I plan to corssfire 2 hd 7770's toghether, but before i make the purchase, there are some things i want to make sure of.

I already have one Asus HD 7770, but since i cant afford to buy another, my other hd 7770 will be an XFX. I will clock them to the same speed, no worries.

My concern is the amount of power these cards will need. My power supply is a certifed 750w.
Can it support an extra Card? Here are the components its running right now:

Core i7 2700k OC 4.5
32 GB 1600 ddr3 ram
HD 7770 1100mhz 1gb
120gb SSD
1TB HD
Small Molex Case lights
2 LED Fans
Small liquid CPU cooler

Will I have to buy a nbew power supply to cope for an extra HD 7770? If so, how much Wattage am i aiming for?

Also, both cards are top ventilating. I think the XFX has better heat sinks and airflow, so i will put it on top, making it the boss card. Does this matter?

Thanks in advance, you are really helping me out!!

THe newegg PSU calc says you only need 471w for that, so you're fine
Score
December 21, 2012 7:59:47 PM

That Psu will be more than enough the 7770's don't draw much power at all. As long as they are running the same clocks you should be able to install them in any fashion that your comfortable with.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

December 21, 2012 8:08:00 PM

CaseyHo said:

For crossfire it doesn't matter if they're clocked the same speeds.

Quote:
My concern is the amount of power these cards will need.

7770 are 80W cards.

Quote:

For an overclocked i7 and crossfire 7770s, a good 450W PSU should be more than enough.

Quote:

Nope.
December 21, 2012 9:12:41 PM

Best answer selected by CaseyHo.
Score
!