Virtual Pool 3 - WinXP problem

Hi

I recently installed Virtual Pool 3 and updated to the latest patch.
The game works fine, except it won't load in the majority of the
locations (CD works fine on a friends computer also with XP).

I found a solution tonight in order for the game to continue running,
however it's not really a great one. If I stop the Windows Audio
Service the game will run perfectly, albeit without any audio.

Things I have done to try and remedy the situation:

I have tried setting Directsound acceleration to off
Alternate video drivers
Updating to SP2
Running in compatability modes/turning off visual themes
Disabling all unneccessary running proccesses

Running:
P4 2ghz
Windows XP Home SP2 (Swedish)
DirectX 9c
Radeon 8500 128mb
SB Live (with Creatives drivers) > I think this could perhaps be the problem

All DirectX diagnostics tests pass - I can attach a log in the next post
should that be needed.

Anyone have any idea what this problem could be, must be audio related I
feel seeing as disabling XPs audio support fixes it :)

Thanks muchly in advance for any help I receive

Kev
4 answers Last reply
More about virtual pool winxp problem

    "Kevin L" <kevinliversage@REMOVETHISBITgmail.com> wrote in message

    > SB Live (with Creatives drivers) > I think this could perhaps be the
    > problem

    > Anyone have any idea what this problem could be, must be audio related I
    > feel seeing as disabling XPs audio support fixes it :)

    You're probably right... Creative, even now have far too many issues with
    their drivers. I'd try removing their software (assuming you don't use any
    of those features) and installing the stock XP drivers (there's probably
    then an update for them on Windows Update too).

    See if that helps at all.

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

    The "stock" XP drivers for Creative products are from Creative. Microsoft
    does not write drivers for third-party hardware.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The "stock" XP drivers for Creative products are from Creative. Microsoft
    > does not write drivers for third-party hardware.

    Yes but it's the actual software that Creative bundle with it that generally
    causes the problems. The stock drivers are the bare minimum to get sound to
    work. Using the stock drivers also gave a good 10-15% performance increase
    over the Creative-bundled ones back in the day, at least with Giants and
    SoF!

    I had lots of *fun* with my Live on XP when it first shipped. Still far
    from perfect even today on the Audigy cards and they can't use the old
    excuse NT is a fringe OS. Heck outta the 10 odd installs I've done on both
    my systems it seems the Creative software even manages to screw System
    Restore up - seems half the time when you revert back (to not having the
    drivers) the system just blue screens on boot, you then have to boot in safe
    mode, uninstall the software, then use System Restore!!!

    </rant>

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    > You're probably right... Creative, even now have far too many issues with
    > their drivers. I'd try removing their software (assuming you don't use any
    > of those features) and installing the stock XP drivers (there's probably
    > then an update for them on Windows Update too).
    >
    > See if that helps at all.

    Thanks for the reply Paul, I think I'll try removing the foul stench
    that is the Creative drivers off this machine :) I used to use KX
    Project ones which never failed me, albeit they never really supported
    EAX (but I can live without that I reckon).

Windows XP