Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will the 7850 be enough for future games @1366x768?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 21, 2012 10:49:52 PM

Hey everyone, I am upgrading my graphics card and am wondering if the HD 7850 would be enough for 1366x768 res?
I am not going to upgrade my monitor.... I also want this card to last for ATLEAST one year, and i want to be able to play games at ultra settings with 60fps, I was also thinking of getting a gtx 660, but i read that if you overclock the 7850 it can be almost as good.
My specs:
Intel core i3 2100 @ 3.1 ghz
Intel integrated graphics :/ 
Antec VP 450w PSU
1 tb HD
Like I said, the most important thing to me is being able to play all the latest games at ultra settings with 60fps.
Should i get the HD 7850 or the gtx 660?? (the 7850 is 160$ and the 660 is 200$)
Im really confused. :( 
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 11:08:21 PM

Yes I think the HD 7850 will last a year at that resolution. You don't need to go with a GTX 660 at that resolution.
Score
December 21, 2012 11:11:36 PM

Even for games like GTA V?
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 11:12:40 PM

Same. Its hard to future proof more than a year anymore. Your I3 will most likely be the next upgrae required in the future after you get your 7850.

Well, Future Proof by retaining at least High Graphics In new games
Low>Med>High>Ultra If you catch my drift

=D
Score
December 21, 2012 11:16:25 PM

Ya i was thinkin about upgrading to core i5 2500 pretty soon, but the graphics card is more important at the moment. But the 7850 should be good for a year then?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 11:18:34 PM

Yeah, If were talking about GPU, 7850 will suit ya well =D

Was just throwing the CPU out there as Extra Info
Score
December 21, 2012 11:24:14 PM

Ok great! Now one more question, would there be any point in me getting a gtx 660? would it last longer and be noticeably faster?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 11:30:49 PM

The GTX 660 is commonly talked about at 1080p so I would say that there's no point in you getting it. The GTX 660 is probably going to last a little longer and be a little faster but remember that next gen cards are always just around the corner.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 11:32:23 PM

If I remember correctly, The GTX 660 is somewhat Equal to a 7870.
Im also not "That" knowlegable on AMD cards and how they compare to NvIDIA cards. The above was what I read somewhere else.

It would be faster than your 7850 from what Ive read on various forums and benchmarking sites. Some people say that as you lower your resolution that more stress is put on your CPU. And that with a lowergrade CPU, you would eventually bottleneck yourself.

If your going to get a GTX 660 then I recommend also getting a 1920x1080 Monitor of some sort.

I use a GTX 660 and I can max out just about everything with 60FPS+ (Mind you that at such a high resoluion I only use FXAA or 2x MSAA)

As for how long it would last just depends on the manufactuer. I love Asus Cards, But ive seen some last 1 year, some last 4-5. Just depends on so many different variables
Score
December 21, 2012 11:42:35 PM

so getting a 660 wouldnt be worth the extra 40$?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 11:45:43 PM

Unless getting a 1080p Monitor, No
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 12:02:24 AM

I would recommend you upgrade your monitor as soon as you can if you purchase a 7850, 1366x768 is a considerably low resolution!
Score
December 22, 2012 12:38:34 AM

azathoth said:
I would recommend you upgrade your monitor as soon as you can if you purchase a 7850, 1366x768 is a considerably low resolution!

Ya i know its pretty low but to be honest, i dont really mind, iv used 1080p monitors before and i really dont see that much difference.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 1:06:42 AM

I have the same res. never got what the hype was about with 1080p with games. Sometimes I wish I had 1080p when I video edit for more space, but for games it goes great. I think the 660 is the way to go. It will max all your games out at that res for a little while.
Score
December 22, 2012 1:20:32 AM

I would go with NVidia just because the 660 is faster than all of AMd's cards depending on the model you get. I have a 660 ti and play at 1080p with 60 fps at max settings. NVidia also passes tons of great driver updates that will optimise your card for whatever games you play. I highly suggest NVidia over AMd, but it really depends on the model of the card in most cases because your speed varies with different brands and models. If you read that the AMd card can overclock to the 660, it might have been a specific card. If you overclock the 660 it will likely out perform the overclocked AMd. I do not recomend overclocking if you don't know what you are doing, so I suggest the 660 over the other one. If I were you I'd be concerned about bottlenecking on your CPU. the low res with a high card means you are more likely to lose performance on a lower end CPU.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 1:36:05 AM

sm620 said:
I would go with NVidia just because the 660 is faster than all of AMd's cards depending on the model you get. I have a 660 ti and play at 1080p with 60 fps at max settings. NVidia also passes tons of great driver updates that will optimise your card for whatever games you play. I highly suggest NVidia over AMd, but it really depends on the model of the card in most cases because your speed varies with different brands and models. If you read that the AMd card can overclock to the 660, it might have been a specific card. If you overclock the 660 it will likely out perform the overclocked AMd. I do not recomend overclocking if you don't know what you are doing, so I suggest the 660 over the other one. If I were you I'd be concerned about bottlenecking on your CPU. the low res with a high card means you are more likely to lose performance on a lower end CPU.

Disregard this post.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=660
Go higher up and the HD 7950 destroys it, especially with the new drivers.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 1:52:19 AM

you frankly wont need anymore than a 7850 to play games on high-max settings for atleast a couple of years at your resolution.
so the extra cost of 660 is not justified
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 1:52:26 AM

7950 Does Destory Both the 660, 7850 and 7870, But it also costs more and needs more POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!!!! ... Ahem...Sorry

Still I recommend the 7850. 660,7870,7950 for 1080P

7950 - 299.99 -319.99 USD ■500W (or greater) power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended

660 - 219.99 -239.9 USD / 450W Minimum System Power Requirement (W) One 6-pin

7870 - 219.99 - 259.99 USD ■500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended

7850 - 189.99 (Sale 169.99) - 219.99 USD ■500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended

Taken from reference Cards. They are a little over zealous witht the PSU requirments but you get the point

Edit-

Thank you mohit9206

@sm620 (Below) I know right? My 660 is OC to 1110Mhz
Score
December 22, 2012 1:53:07 AM

that benchmark uses a medium end 660. I will admit I hadn't looked at the 660, and I was a little disapointed to see that the clock rate wasn't as fast as I expected. a 660 card can hit 1100 MHz and the benchmark uses a 980MHz card with the 7870 the benchmark uses a 1000 MHz card and the higher AMd ones get 1100 MHz. that 20MHz can account for some of the differences and a new NVidia driver came out that optimized some high performance games. the 660 ti is a lot faster than the 660 than I thought so the 660 is not faster than all AMd cards, I was wrong on that because I hadn't looked any products up. I still think that the 660 is faster and the 660 has more proccessors in it so it will speed up anything that uses CUDA cores more.
Score
December 22, 2012 2:05:35 AM

by the way the bottlenecking thing might affect you because of the low resolution and your proccessor. I haven't looked at i3 proccessors because I don't have time, but if you bottleneck you can pick any GPU it will lock at specific speed if your CPU can't handle it. The i3 is usually a dual core so I think you will bottleneck. I might be wrong because I am new to CPU's and I am still learning about them.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 2:11:24 AM

His i3 is Hyperthreaded so that should save the OP with most games right now. (That is, as long as the program can use Hyperthreding)

If the CPU doesnt have enough speed to send the information it needs to, then your GPU can only go as fast as the CPU can send information.

7850/660 Shouldnt have this issue. Anything higher most likely will =/
Score
December 22, 2012 2:20:32 AM

I didn't think any games utilized HT Technology. I heard that from someone on a diferent thread when I was asking about CPU's and gaming. either way both cards should play on maximum settings and get above 30 fps especially with the monitor. I would get the card that is supposed to last the longest.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 2:28:00 AM

Only one I know of is BF3. Havnt fully researched it yet =D

Still, Being a NvIDIA fanboy I would automatic recommend the 660. But thats a bit overkill for 1366/768 ( 1,049.088)

Most all 660s are used at 1920/1080 (2,073,600)

7850s Cheaper and is a perfect fit IMO for 1366/768 =D

And I mean, Just the difference from going Intel HD Graphics to a Mid Range GPU is just scary
Score
December 22, 2012 3:33:37 AM

just look for effeciency because ether card will be about the same speed but I think you would be better off buying a 660 because of the CUDA cores. when picking look for the highest MHz and around 450-500w. every model will be a different speed and temp so pick wisely. Your CPU will hold you back some so don't go with anything higher than what you have listed. my 660 ti gets max settings with 60 fps it is $350 retail but I think it would bottleneck on your computer. here is a fast one for $230 that I found on newegg doing a fairly basic search. I am a little bias toward NVidia but I still think you will like this card a lot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
a c 186 U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 4:21:34 AM

otsoloffufgus said:
That card does look nice but its quite a bit more expensive :/  I found a 7850 for 160$
Oh so you bought a 7850 that's not a bad deal if it's a 2gb non reference version congrats! :D  Oh and the GTX 660 is faster by about 9% that why it cost more. ;) 
Score
December 22, 2012 4:31:17 AM

Actually AMd will give you more value for your money but NVidia gets much faster than them with their ultra high end cards so you should be able to find a cheap AMd that is faster for the price. I do not upgrade with a budget so I went with NVidia because I trust them more. For a budget go with AMd because with that low res monitor you can do max settings and get a good frame rate. You can probably
get cheaper than you said and still get good fps for a year or so. I wouldn't get any higher than you asked for though. Make sure you have propper cooling before you upgrade because that can be bad if you don't I suggested that asus because it has heat pipes and should stay cooler than any other brand.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 8:41:43 AM

sm620 said:
Actually AMd will give you more value for your money but NVidia gets much faster than them with their ultra high end cards so you should be able to find a cheap AMd that is faster for the price. I do not upgrade with a budget so I went with NVidia because I trust them more. For a budget go with AMd because with that low res monitor you can do max settings and get a good frame rate. You can probably
get cheaper than you said and still get good fps for a year or so. I wouldn't get any higher than you asked for though. Make sure you have propper cooling before you upgrade because that can be bad if you don't I suggested that asus because it has heat pipes and should stay cooler than any other brand.

...Debatable.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/618?vs=555
Score
December 22, 2012 2:57:49 PM

the 680 is not the highest NVidia card so that benchmark is bias if that's the highest AMd card. the 690 has two keplar GPU's so it is way faster than the 680. Most 680's have 4GB of ram so that benchmark looks a little bias in the specific cards they picked. That does not prove that AMd is faster because it didn't use the companys' fastest cards.
Score
December 22, 2012 6:45:21 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Oh so you bought a 7850 that's not a bad deal if it's a 2gb non reference version congrats! :D  Oh and the GTX 660 is faster by about 9% that why it cost more. ;) 

but its only a 1gb version, but i read that more vram is only used for high resolutions?
Score
December 23, 2012 1:43:36 AM

otsoloffufgus said:
but its only a 1gb version, but i read that more vram is only used for high resolutions?

That is correct, but max settings generally stores more detailed pictures so I would go with a 2GB. I think spending a little extra money for an extra GB of the faster RAM that comes on the graphics card is worth it because if a game ever exceeds the 1GB your game will instantly slow down because your motherboard RAM is slower. Some games will likely exceed one GB even on a low reselution monitor. I have 3GB on my graphics card and I get on the border but I have a large 1080p monitor so that is to be expected on detailed games.
Score
December 23, 2012 3:41:49 AM

I think you will be fine because the GPU says minimum of 450w and the i3 CPU shouldn't use too much power. I searched for some wattage calculaters but couldn't find any that had the i3 CPU and were up to date with GPU's.
Score
December 23, 2012 3:50:28 AM

does your system have good cooling? When I ugraded I had to do a lot of cooling changes. right now I have 2 200mm fans and 2 150mm fans. It stays cool on the inside of the case but if you don't have at least two fans you should look into that before spending a lot of money on a high performance GPU because they get warm without propper ventalation in some cases their life is shortened or they burn up. I always check when helping someone with an upgrade because it is important and that will also affect your power so tell the cooling you have for both those reasons.
Score
December 23, 2012 4:11:32 AM

sm620 said:
does your system have good cooling? When I ugraded I had to do a lot of cooling changes. right now I have 2 200mm fans and 2 150mm fans. It stays cool on the inside of the case but if you don't have at least two fans you should look into that before spending a lot of money on a high performance GPU because they get warm without propper ventalation in some cases their life is shortened or they burn up. I always check when helping someone with an upgrade because it is important and that will also affect your power so tell the cooling you have for both those reasons.

Ok, well at the moment, i dont have any fans except my cpu fan :(  i know its baad but im planning on getting a 200mm fan when i purchase whatever card i get.
Would that be enough cooling for now? (my cpu is pretty weak so it doesnt create too much heat)
I would definitely get more fans in the future. :) 
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:25:20 AM

I wouldnt use a Blower Style GPU in a system that doesnt have Above average cooling. Blower Fans have a habit of creating hotspots on the GPU. Kinda why most 3rd Parties use another cooling solution. NvIDIA's reference designs work, but usually 3rd party cooling is better.

If you plan on getting a 1920x1080 Monitor in the future then I would get a 2GB card. On games like crysis, BF3 and CIV V. Its not hard for me to push 1500MBs worth of textures. Also games are breaching that 1GB boundry atm so 1GB is going to become pointless in the near future.

About your Cooling. You need at least 1 Exhaust fan. Your CPU fan, Your GPU fan, And your PSU fan. Thats what I have with Higher End hardware and my temps stay in acceptable ranges with aftermarket coolers. If your really worried about your PSU, Take a picture of the Tag on the side, Upload that to photobucket and then post the link here.

Prices are debatable. Generaly AMD is the Price to Performance winner. But Prices change all the time.

Your PSU "should" be fine. Since your only running a Dual Core.
But since your only running Intergrated graphics, It is possible that the PSU may not be able to handle the load.

The Power Ratings that companies give are generaly right, but some are a bit overzealous. From what Ive seen they come up with tem using a system whose equipment is all around the same level. Not to mention its nice to have a little bit of headroom. =D

Ugggh, My fingers hurt. Sorry if its a bit thrown together. I was just zoning out while typing this lol
December 23, 2012 4:31:07 AM

Do you have a rear fan? I think a 200mm would do it depending on the placement and direction. If you get too many fans your Power supply will have issues. Are you upgrading a store bought computer? I did that with my one year old hp and I had to switch my 300w power supply with a 650w and I completely changed cases too. I chose the 660 ti and probably overpaid a little. If you put it together and the temp is over 70c definatly stop using it and upgrade the cooling. If it idles higher than 60-65 then do the same thing and if you notice stability issues you power supply could be maxed and sending uneven power.
Score
December 23, 2012 4:32:19 AM

simmons33 said:
I wouldnt use a Blower Style GPU in a system that doesnt have Above average cooling. Blower Fans have a habit of creating hotspots on the GPU. Kinda why most 3rd Parties use another cooling solution. NvIDIA's reference designs work, but usually 3rd party cooling is better.

If you plan on getting a 1920x1080 Monitor in the future then I would get a 2GB card. On games like crysis, BF3 and CIV V. Its not hard for me to push 1500MBs worth of textures. Also games are breaching that 1GB boundry atm so 1GB is going to become pointless in the near future.

About your Cooling. You need at least 1 Exhaust fan. Your CPU fan, Your GPU fan, And your PSU fan. Thats what I have with Higher End hardware and my temps stay in acceptable ranges with aftermarket coolers. If your really worried about your PSU, Take a picture of the Tag on the side, Upload that to photobucket and then post the link here.

Prices are debatable. Generaly AMD is the Price to Performance winner. But Prices change all the time.

Your PSU "should" be fine. Since your only running a Dual Core.
But since your only running Intergrated graphics, It is possible that the PSU may not be able to handle the load.

Ugggh, My fingers hurt

Ok, haha thanks for the effort! :D 
Ya the EVGA 660 is a blower cooler thingy so i shouldnt get it? But the 2gb versions of the 7850 are only about 5$ cheaper than the 660.
So it seems like the 660 is a better deal?
Also this is my PSU : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
And im going to be upgrading to this in the near future : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
Score
December 23, 2012 4:34:07 AM

sm620 said:
Do you have a rear fan? I think a 200mm would do it depending on the placement and direction. If you get too many fans your Power supply will have issues. Are you upgrading a store bought computer? I did that with my one year old hp and I had to switch my 300w power supply with a 650w and I completely changed cases too. I chose the 660 ti and probably overpaid a little. If you put it together and the temp is over 70c definatly stop using it and upgrade the cooling. If it idles higher than 60-65 then do the same thing and if you notice stability issues you power supply could be maxed and sending uneven power.

No i dont have a rear fan, although thats where i'd put the 200mm... basically the only fans i have right now are my cpu fan and my PSU fan... :/ 
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:36:05 AM

It up to you on the Blower Fans. This is just what I was told by someone who worked in the Graphics Department at ASUS. (He could have just been trying to get me to buy his product lol) I personally would get the MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte versions. Blowers work, but Ive seen so many benchmarks on them and they generaly run hotter. Ill post back in a bit about the PSU.
Score
December 23, 2012 4:38:50 AM

simmons33 said:
It up to you on the Blower Fans. This is just what I was told by someone who worked in the Graphics Department at ASUS. (He could have just been trying to get me to buy his product lol) I personally would get the MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte versions. Blowers work, but Ive seen so many benchmarks on them and they generaly run hotter. Ill post back in a bit about the PSU.

I read that the PSU is pretty good and can be up to 550watts.. i dont know if thats true or not.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:41:16 AM

So for you

You have two +12V rails. You have 360 Watts available on them.
Using Watts Divided by Volts - 360 / 12 = 30A

So you have 30Amps available. Your PSU should be good. Antec is also a very good company.

If you plan to upgrade to a Quad Core then Id get at least 600W PSU with about 40A - 45A. Dont go Crazy with Fans. Will put more strain on the PSU.

Edit-

Im not sure about the "Up to 550Ws" Part. I just dont know lol
Score
December 23, 2012 4:42:53 AM

The blower fan on my EVGA works fine but I do think the ASUS heat pipes would suit your need better considering you have... Will have one fan. lol couldn't help it.
Score
December 23, 2012 4:43:21 AM

simmons33 said:
So for you

You have two +12V rails. You have 360 Watts available on them.
Using Watts Divided by Volts - 360 / 12 = 30A

So you have 30Amps available. Your PSU should be good. Antec is also a very good company.

If you plan to upgrade to a Quad Core then Id get at least 600W PSU with about 40A - 45A. Dont go Crazy with Fans. Will put more strain on the PSU.

Edit-

Im not sure about the "Up to 550Ws" Part. I just dont know lol

Ok, thanks for all the help :) 
so should i be good with one 200mm fan?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:52:05 AM

Lol SM620

That 660 You linked will be great. 7850 2GB is still a great option should you not want to spend the extra money. Like bigcyco1 said. 9% Either Up or down wont be that noticable.

A 200M or 120M fan will work great. You always want at least ONE exhaust fan lol
Score
December 23, 2012 4:53:04 AM

The evga one would be faster but as far as cooling goes the asus one is much cooler and wouldn't cook. I haven't looked up how much power it uses because I am using a mobile device so if someone could find it that would be great because it varies with specific cards.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:56:09 AM

660? The Card itself uses about 130W if I remember correctly. Least thats what MSI Afterburner is telling me right now.
Card can only use a max of 150W. 75W from PCI bus and 75W from the 6 Pin

EVGA is a bit faster, Didnt Notice
Score
!