Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New build, first time building a comp would appreciate some pointers

Last response: in Systems
February 6, 2013 1:41:02 AM

Approximate Purchase Date:2-5 days
Budget Range: 900$
System Usage from Most to Least Important: GAMING GAMING GAMING, some videos and work
Are you buying a monitor: NO
Parts to Upgrade:None maybe in the future
Do you need to buy OS: NO
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NCIX,CANADACOMPUTERS
Parts Preferences:AMD
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: Not now
Your Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

AMD x8 FX 8350

G.SKILL RIPJAWS x series 4gb 2x2gb dd3 1600mh dual channel kit

500gb SATA3 6.0gb/s (dont want an SSD unless someone tells me it will improve fps then I will upgrade later on)

ASRock Extreme3 Socket AM3+ AMD 970FX+SB950 CHIPSET

CORSAIR builder series cx750 750 watt 80 plus bonze certified PSU

Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5

COOLER MASTER 343 BLACK Micro ATX

SAMSUNG internal drive 1.5mb buffer (For windows installation/I own a lot of DVDS)

A few questions here will my PSU connect to everything? like I know Gfx cards have some 6+2 pin connectors or something like that..? Keep in mind that I have never built a cpu before so I dont understand how that works but I do understand some stuff.

Will MY mobo fit the case? what about my PSU?

Also I know the mobo will bottleneck my processor from overclocking which I dont mind

What about the RAM? will it bottleneck my FPS in games?

Any other things I should be concerned about? I am not planning to OC now but later on in the year I will upgrade mobo then and buy a cooler

Best solution

February 6, 2013 2:34:56 AM

You have a few problems there .

ATX is a standard size so all ATX motherboards fit ATX cases
Your case is micro- or m-ATX meaning the motherboard and the case are shorter from top to bottom .
If you wish to use that mb , which is a good budget choice, you have to use an ATX case
Check out
Cooler Master HAF 912 , Antec ONE gamer, Corsair 200R Coolermaster 430 elite
These are all economical cases that work well .

Your power supply would be fine . Its very unusual that a psu today wouldnt have two 6 or 6+2 pin plugs . But you can save money here and use a lower wattage unit .
Even a 600 watt psu will be fine . 80+ bronze rated or better preferably .
Sites like newegg are great because they give the specs and include the connectors available , but you can also google the model , find its web page and check that it has the required power connectors

I would change the processor to the slightly cheaper 8320 to save some $ too if you have to. Its the same part just tuned down a little .
And then use that to increase the RAM to a 2 x4 gig kit of 1600 MHz , rated for 1.5 volts [ or less]
February 6, 2013 2:36:53 AM

Outlander_04 said:

Your case is micro- or m-ATX meaning the motherboard and the case are shorter from top to bottom .
If you wish to use that mb , which is a good budget choice, you have to use an ATX case
Check out

Your power supply would be fine . Its very unusual that a psu today wouldnt have two 6 or 6+2 pin plugs . But you can save money here and use a lower wattage unit .
Even a 600 watt psu will be fine . 80+ bronze rated or better .

I would change the processor to the slightly cheaper 8320 to save some $ too if you have to. Its the same part just tuned down a little .
And then use that to increase the RAM to a 2 x4 gig kit of 1600 MHz , rated for 1.5 volts [ or less]

+1...word for word. Good advice Outlander_04
Score
Related resources
February 6, 2013 2:57:38 AM

Outlander_04 said:

Check out

Even a 600 watt psu will be fine . 80+ bronze rated or better preferably .
Sites like newegg are great because they give the specs and include the connectors available , but you can also google the model , find its web page and check that it has the required power connectors

Thank you for pointing out the case issue! and also giving me some choices man that was helpful.

However I do have one more question why upgrade to 8gb? several people have told me to upgrade to 8gb and I dont know why. If it will make a difference of 5+ fps in gaming Ill do what you said and downgrade to 8320 and upgrade to 8gb but I dont plan to run more than 2-3 antiviruses/spyware scanners in the background. I do have a habit of running scans 24/7 lol
Score
February 6, 2013 3:52:49 AM

A game + windows could [ theoretically] max out 4 gig of RAM usage .

You wont get many more FPS with more RAM
But when the AV or firewall or network , or any other background service that auto starts or you choose to run ,want RAM and cpu cycles you are less likely to get slow downs in frame rates .
So if it is in the budget then 8 gig makes sense
Score
February 7, 2013 12:33:02 AM

Best answer selected by xinrui.
Score
!