Closed Solved

Please Check My First Build

Hi all, this is my first ever computer build so could you check compatibility etc

This computer is purely for gaming by the way

CPU: i5-3570k
CPU Cooler: ThermalRight HR-02 Macho Rev.A
Case: Fractal Design R4 Mid-Tower case (adding one extra fan)
GPU: Friends old gtx 460 (happy to use this until next gen of cards comes out)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H-MVP
Memory: 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz low profile
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: Corsair GS600 600W

Should I add a SSD as a boot drive or should I add it in later because this will be purely for gaming I'm not sure if I will care much about start up times of Windows.
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about please check build
  1. In my opinion you should get the atx motherboard from that chipset and brand, if it's not too much expensive.
    If you can afford a ssd, get it, but a one with 120-128GB.
  2. Getting an SSD would push my budget out by about 12% (I'm talking percentage because I don't use USA currency therefore % might be easier to understand) do you think it would be really worth it, I can stretch the budget but it is a little tight. Also is there any actual difference between mATX and ATX apart from size?
  3. More space between the pcie slots, i don't think you're going to add another card, it has more space to work for, but you're fine with a matx one, like i said, only if it was at the same price or cheaper.
    If you're in a tight budget, then forget about the ssd, it's expendable.
  4. Ok thanks, the full ATX board is about $230 compared to the mATX I listed which is $160 here in NZ. I'll see if I can afford an SSD when I buy all the parts but I think I will withhold myself from buying one at the moment and buy one a few months down the line along with a new graphics card (given that the next gen is out)
  5. Are you buying the R$ because you are concerned about noise, or do you just like the look?

If its noise then consider swapping out the cpu cooler for the scythe Ninja 3 . It has a speed controller and is completely silent below about 1000 rpm in my Antec P280 case
    EDIT : just reading the review of your cooler linked from pricespy.co.nz and its also very good

Make sure the RAM is 1 kit of 2 x4 gig and not a single 8 gig stick
  6. I am semi concerned about noise, I like the features the R4 offers and the good reviews I have heard about it. Is the Scythe a good cooler if I plan to overclock semi-highly?
  7. The fractal design R4 is a good choice for that.
    Look also for the noctua coolers, very silent ones and with high performance.
  8. By the way, there won't be any clearance issues with the RAM and CPU cooler will there? because I have low profile RAM
  9. Might be worth looking at the asrock boards z77 extreme4/6.
  10. No, you have lp ram, no problems with any large cooler.
  11. Ok thanks, I think I will go with the Scythe Ninja 3 for CPU cooling as it is slightly cheaper and is supposedly quieter and all round better. Think I might go for the asrock z77 extreme 4 because its not much more expensive and I think it'll make it easier having a full ATX board when fitting parts like the CPU cooler (especially since it's my first time building). Thanks all, any other things I could consider changing?

Edit: Changed my mind back to original cooler :)
  12. Oh also, will the power supply be fine for anything I throw at it with overclocking the CPU and presumably the GPU, apart from crossfire/SLI? I'm pretty sure it's fine but just checking
  13. Yes, it's fine.
    If it matters anything you can check here for parts : http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
  14. DelightfulDucklings said:
    I am semi concerned about noise, I like the features the R4 offers and the good reviews I have heard about it. Is the Scythe a good cooler if I plan to overclock semi-highly?

The scythe is awesome as a cooler . You can run it at low fan speeds for silence , or turn the fans up and OC well.
    But your thermalright is a little cheaper and the reviews were also good . Probably the performance is close enough to the ninja .
    The noctua air coolers are a really crazy price in NZ . You can buy a corsair H100i for less so they are not worth considering .

The vengeance lp profile RAM will fit under any ATX spec cooler . Its good enough RAM but it wont OC well if thats important

Where are you buying from?
  15. Outlander_04 said:
    The scythe is awesome as a cooler . You can run it at low fan speeds for silence , or turn the fans up and OC well.
    But your thermalright is a little cheaper and the reviews were also good . Probably the performance is close enough to the ninja .
    The noctua air coolers are a really crazy price in NZ . You can buy a corsair H100i for less so they are not worth considering .

The vengeance lp profile RAM will fit under any ATX spec cooler . Its good enough RAM but it wont OC well if thats important

Where are you buying from?

I will be buying from www.playtech.co.nz by the way thanks for actually looking at prices in my country, a lot of people seem to just link me to US sites etc :)

I'm not worried about OCing RAM, I don't see any real benefit compared to CPU/GPU overclocks. Yeah the prices are a bit weird here, I will be negotiating a discount with the store I put in the link because if they make me pay full price I'm better off importing basically everything except the case from USA or somewhere :??:
  16. djangoringo said:
    Yes, it's fine.
    If it matters anything you can check here for parts : http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

I've tried that website but it just doesn't have all the parts that are actually available in NZ so I have sort of decided not to use it, thanks anyway
  17. DelightfulDucklings said:
    I will be buying from www.playtech.co.nz by the way thanks for actually looking at prices in my country, a lot of people seem to just link me to US sites etc :)

I'm not worried about OCing RAM, I don't see any real benefit compared to CPU/GPU overclocks. Yeah the prices are a bit weird here, I will be negotiating a discount with the store I put in the link because if they make me pay full price I'm better off importing basically everything except the case from USA or somewhere :??:

The playtech store is pretty well stocked . Last time I was in there I kept wishing my credit card wasnt maxxed out LOL !

There delivery times through the country are good too .
    I bought a hard drive from them a week ago and they made it to rural SI in 2 days .

Use the pricespy site to compare prices . Chances are playtech will be willing to match especially if you are picking up from the store
    www.pricespy.co.nz

In Auckland Computerlounge is great too
    So is Paradigm who I get a lot of my parts from
  18. Outlander_04 said:
    The playtech store is pretty well stocked . Last time I was in there I kept wishing my credit card wasnt maxxed out LOL !

There delivery times through the country are good too .
    I bought a hard drive from them a week ago and they made it to rural SI in 2 days .

Use the pricespy site to compare prices . Chances are playtech will be willing to match especially if you are picking up from the store
    www.pricespy.co.nz

In Auckland Computerlounge is great too
    So is Paradigm who I get a lot of my parts from

Ah, good to see someone on here from NZ too :D

Me and my friends were all going to buy our computers as one big purchase (something like $5k) at one store and we are hoping for a 15-20% discount, do you think this sounds reasonable or am I dreaming :pt1cable: ?
  19. Best answer
    DelightfulDucklings said:
    Ah, good to see someone on here from NZ too :D

Me and my friends were all going to buy our computers as one big purchase (something like $5k) at one store and we are hoping for a 15-20% discount, do you think this sounds reasonable or am I dreaming :pt1cable: ?

I'd definitely ask for the discount .

I wouldnt even hesitate to give someone 10% if they were buying that much of the things I make , but tech retailers might be different . Some will have very thin margins and dont hold any stock .
    Playtech do so you could be in luck .

But try Computerlounge too . Its not far to manukau
  20. Outlander_04 said:
    I'd definitely ask for the discount .

I wouldnt even hesitate to give someone 10% if they were buying that much of the things I make , but tech retailers might be different . Some will have very thin margins and dont hold any stock .
    Playtech do so you could be in luck .

But try Computerlounge too . Its not far to manukau

Ok thanks a lot for the help, will try at a few places before deciding where to finally buy even though it is a hassle to rebuild multiple computers because each place stocks different parts but it's worth it. Thanks again, guess I'll close the thread now, got all the help I should need :)
  21. Best answer selected by DelightfulDucklings.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems