How to overclock properly?

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
I want to overclock my Core 2 Duo E4500, I have successfully OC my E4500 to 2.77 GHz without the problem. But when I step to 2.8 GHz, Windows had BSOD when it's booting. Why it got BSOD when I OCing to 2.8 GHz, is the mismatched voltage? I want to overvoltage but I was feared, if I overvoltage my E4500 (and my mobo) they will shot-circuited immediately. If I overvoltage E4500 is it short-circuited or it just failed boot?

Another way, what is the difference overclocking a 11x multiplier and 281 FSB with 10x multiplier and 310 FSB? Both produce 3.1 GHz clock.

The cooling solution, is Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO worth for overclocking? And is the Noctua case fan is sufficient to remove heat from the coolant CM Hyper TX3 EVO?

I don't have experience with that model CPU, but you should be cautious when overvolting. There are safe limtis for this but for day to day on a CPU of that age I would say just do the highest OC you can with nominal voltage.

The TX3 should handle the cooling for your overclocking exploits. A faster front side bus MAY make for a better overclock, but I would do some testing with a benchmark of some sort to ensure you're going to benefit. There are lots of them available, some are longer than others so I usually use one I can run in a minute to see how it fares before changing settings again.

Noctua makes some very nice fans, but you didn't say which one. But it sounds reasonable.
Make sure whatever you do that you monitor temps while overclocking and look for a guide online. Just google "Overclock Core 2 Duo."

In my opinion, no it isn't. Try the Coolermaster Hyper 212+. The Evo version is $5 more but same performance. Best cooling for $30.

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

I had worry about 12cm fan powered cpu cooler due fitting issue due larger size. My case had top-mounted power supply, 8 cm case fan (9 cm also compatible), microATX mobo (ASUS P5KPL-AM SE).

If I try to bought CM Hyper 212 EVO then install it to my PC it will not fit to my case.