Sign in with
Your question

Poor Performance on 'Sapphire 7970 OC with Boost'

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2012 12:36:38 AM

This issue has been driving me insane for the past month or so...

I recently bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC with Boost from Neweegg and I've been using it together with the following:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 8-core @ stock clocks
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB 1866MHz Cas8
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS and Games)
HDD: Western Digital Black Caviar 500GB 7200RPM (Storage)
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX
PSU: Corsair HX850

My issue is that in nearly every game I get stuttering issues and poor performance. In Skyrim, I get what's known as the "64Hz bug" which is apparently common but on top of that, my FPS is well below what it should be on this card. On Far Cry 3 (biggest issues of all) I get constant stutter even with EVERYTHING turned off and on low. On BF3 it seems like it runs just fine and I'm really happy about that, but my performance comes nowhere near what other people are getting with this same card (and sometimes even same overall setup!!). I see people easily getting 100+ fps on BF3 while I'm stuck just barely making it to 70fps MAX.

Anyways, back to the subject of stuttering in my games, the thing is that in between "stutters" it feels like it's running smooth, as if the frame-rate jumps back and forth between 60 and 2... It's extremely annoying... I believe it's called micro-stuttering but it's usually relevant to people with SLI or CrossFire setups. I'm only on one card and I have this issue on almost everything!! >.<

Anyways, I shared this info across a few different forums and I had a couple people say it could be my CPU and not my GPU. Is this possible? I've already tried several different settings in the bios in hopes that it would stabilize the issue. I've tried everything from light overclocking, to loosening RAM timings, to disabling all power saving features, to just about trying every possible bios combinations... Same issue.

What do you guys think this could be? If you need log information, please suggest a program I can run so that I can post the log here.

Oh and I'm using AMD 12.11 Beta8 drivers. I WAS using beta11 but it caused some texture flickering in FC3 and the last thing I need is more issues >.<
December 22, 2012 12:41:01 AM

This stutter issue is being reported by EVERYONE. Youve done everything I would suggest. Seems to me it just a poor driver package AMD will have to update
m
l
December 22, 2012 12:44:39 AM

simmons33 said:
This stutter issue is being reported by EVERYONE. Youve done everything I would suggest. Seems to me it just a poor driver package AMD will have to update

I noticed that, but I'm more concerned about the fact that people with the same setups are way outshining my performance. I want to know wtf is dragging my system down :( 
m
l
Related resources
December 22, 2012 2:35:37 AM

Have you installed the latest AMD/ATI CAP profiles? In Far Cry 3 have you tried changed the number pre-rendering frames, is was designed for high end and multicard stutter issues (whether it work is another issue), or toggled vsync or frame limits?
m
l
December 22, 2012 2:41:23 AM

abbadon_34 said:
Have you installed the latest AMD/ATI CAP profiles? In Far Cry 3 have you tried changed the number pre-rendering frames, is was designed for high end and multicard stutter issues (whether it work is another issue), or toggled vsync or frame limits?

Yes, all of the above to no avail.

I've installed the CAP2 and I've tried all combinations imaginable in the game's settings. Also tried limiting the frame-rate with Afterburner and still got stuttering issues. I was able to "fix" the stutter in Skyrim by limiting the FPS but in order for it to be effective I had to set it at 35 or below... So on Skyrim it's either play with annoying stutter or play at crappy FPS... FML, I payed $400 for this?

I honestly don't think I'll EVER buy another AMD product again.
m
l
December 22, 2012 2:47:07 AM

Post a gpuz screenshot. Check the cpu usage across games. HD 7970 shouldn't stutter at all, FX 8350 is more than enough for most games

It might not be AMD, you might have gotten a dud of a videocard, defective mobo, or psu
m
l
December 22, 2012 2:48:49 AM

simmons33 said:

EVERYONE is a not true. I have this card. No issues...
m
l
December 22, 2012 2:50:48 AM

And remember ATI uses HDAO and Nvidia HBAO. Also try turning FXAA and MSAA off. Lastly, I would look at non-game issues, like suddenly your anti-virus and drive indexing and downloading and page swapping all kicking in at once or just enough to interfer with the game for a moment.

I'm still using a Phenom II and 6950 with no complaints, other than MSAA kicks my ass.

P.S. It the CAP profile that says "New profiles added to this release: - Improves Far Cry 3 performance for single GPU configurations with AA enabled", right?
m
l
December 22, 2012 2:54:20 AM

burntpizza said:
Post a gpuz screenshot. Check the cpu usage across games. HD 7970 shouldn't stutter at all, FX 8350 is more than enough for most games

It might not be AMD, you might have gotten a dud of a videocard, defective mobo, or psu

I've been watching CPU usage on all cores and it seems to be fairly average. It never maxes out and it never looks idle, nor does it look sporadic. Here is a GPUZ shot:

At this point I kind of hope it's just the video card so I can replace it... But if I get another and it does the same, I'm gonna flip.
m
l
December 22, 2012 3:05:44 AM

abbadon_34 said:
Are remember ATI uses HDAO and Nvidia HBAO. Also try turning FXAA and MSAA off. Lastly, I would look at non-game issues, like suddenly you anti-virus and drive indexing and downloading and page swapping all kicking in at once or just enough to interfer with the game for a moment.

I'm still using a Phenom II and 6950 with no complaints, other than MSAA kicks my ass.

P.S. It the CAP profile that says "New profiles added to this release: - Improves Far Cry 3 performance for single GPU configurations with AA enabled", right?

Yeah, I tried all of the different ambient occlusion settings along with just about all other settings in-game. I'm almost certain it's a hardware flaw. I just want to try and find out for sure what it is because I don't want to have to spend more time/money to get a replacement that won't fix the issue.

I also turned off all indexing (when I installed my SSD) so that can be ruled out. I'm gonna run FC3 and watch my task manager to see if anything looks strange. Thanks for the tip.
m
l
December 23, 2012 3:13:16 AM

I mean go to the sensor tab and let the card run for a while. See the temperature and usage. But, see if you can RMA it first
m
l
May 1, 2013 9:35:52 PM

hey could you let me know what process you took? I seem to have the same issue with mine. Updated Catalyst, Drivers, Using Sapphire Trixx, Stock clock Temp is around 55c on bf3. BF3 runs fine its the other games that have a issue for me as well.
m
l
July 11, 2013 7:42:48 AM

Much BS when some guy above saying that EVERYONE is having issues with this card. The only people having issues are the clueless one that doesn't know how to properly OC their card on BIOS 2, there's a little switch and in order to have a good OC you must change to BIOS 2. I have 2 running Xfire OC @ 1150/1500 stable and they're awesome.
m
l
July 11, 2013 1:14:20 PM

Coolwave911 said:
Much BS when some guy above saying that EVERYONE is having issues with this card. The only people having issues are the clueless one that doesn't know how to properly OC their card on BIOS 2, there's a little switch and in order to have a good OC you must change to BIOS 2. I have 2 running Xfire OC @ 1150/1500 stable and they're awesome.

Don't know who this message is intended to but not all people are clueless... My card had a bad ram which ended up artifact some games. RMA'd and fixed.
m
l
!