Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishwithadeagle

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I have just bought a radeon 7870 hawk for my 8500 XPS. This is now my second doa card that I have received (The original DOA that I got 6970) Do you think that dell has a kernel built into the bios where they block the support for non oem cards. I am sure that the PSU is working properly and connected, but this seems too odd that I have received two cards that a DOA. What do you guys think?

Fishwithadeagle

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
am certain that the PSU is outputting the right power because I used a multimeter, but I am checking it out tommorow with a different PSU. They put 7870 in their main desktops, but just not the hawks. I am rma'ing it, but will continue to play with it. Do u know what any of the codes in the bios are. I have tried every bios a03 through a09. I am really tired of not having working high end cards on new systems.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

It seems to come with a 460W power supply, could you look and tell us how many amps is i capable of in the +12 volt rail? There should be a sticker on the side of the power supply with the info.

requirements for the 7870 seem to be at least 30 amps on the +12v, the 6970 would require 21 amps or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.