Sign in with
Your question

How to telephone and network in 1 cat5e

Last response: in Networking
January 25, 2012 6:35:45 AM

hello

Can i run a telephone line (UK BT) and a network connection in 1 x cat5e, this is to work a uk sky tv/internet box which requires a telephone line and an internet connection for its on demand side

Many thanks
January 25, 2012 12:05:03 PM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Your Sky box has a telephone socket and it's that one they say you should connect to the telephone system. I say you don't unless you want Interactive services but Sky insist so they can poach information about your viewing habits and phone them home to Scotland.

It's the next-to-useless black Netgear router that needs to be connected through a filter they provide to the telephone system so you can get the Broadband signal to the router.

Ethernet (Cat 5e) only comes into the mix if you wish to wire a PC straight to the router instead of using wireless.

January 25, 2012 1:36:08 PM

Thank you for your reply, but i was asking can telephone and 100Tbase network be run in same cat5e cable.
I know the Ethernet only uses 2 pairs, i wondered whether i could put the BT telephone through the other pairs.
I have an outlet plate which has a telephone and a Rj45 socket on it.
This would give me separate telephone and internet.
Sorry if i wasn't clear, im new to this.
Related resources
January 25, 2012 2:21:15 PM

Yes you can do that, it's outside of approved specs etc, but it will work fine.

I have a similar setup but running 2 x 100Mbit Ethernet lines.
January 25, 2012 4:01:27 PM

Gigabit ethernet requires all 4 pairs. 10/100MBit only uses two pairs. The other two pairs are used to eliminate crosstalk on the wires. Although you may get a phone line and ethernet to work, your speed may be impaired, especially at longer distances.
January 26, 2012 5:19:40 PM

thats great, i will give it go

Thankyou
!