Sign in with
Your question

Please Help with My First Build !

Last response: in Systems
February 6, 2013 6:19:22 AM

Hi,

I have decided to build a system for my cousin's son who is 13. I had been given some components that are fairly old but think it will be more than enough for him. I have assembled and disassembled many computers before but all were branded PC's. Other than the RAM I have no desire to upgrade any of my current items. I did get them for free and becasue it is going to be free I only want to purchase a video card (price dosent matter as I assume anything that would work is rather cheap at this point), needed cables and HDD. I have 2 questions hopfully someone could help with...

1st - What would be the best or reccomended video card that would work with my setup ? What would be the Best card, this setup could run?

2nd - What are reccomendations for RAM or upgrades from what I have ?

My current components

Case - Antec 900

Mobo - Asus M3N78-VM

CPU - AMD Athlon II X2 250

PSU - 500W Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus

CD/DVD - Generic no big issue

RAM - 2 x OCZ PC2 6400 1GB Dual Channel (Reaper Edition)
RAM - 2 x Memory Master PC2 6400 1GB

Pretty sure I would want better RAM

ANY HELP OFFERED WOULD BE GEAT

More about : build

February 6, 2013 6:24:46 AM

I do not understad why are you paying so much attention to the RAM?
Where are no REAL difference between all these brandd rams, just pick 4 and thats all.

For the GPU I think you could go with the 650 or 660 normal or Ti. It would be fine for the teenager.
m
l
February 6, 2013 6:38:13 AM

I thought the ram was important, after doing some reading I realized that I could do 8GB. saw what Newegg had for sale and its basically all name brands. Also isnt it important to have 4 of the same ? or dont they all have to be dual channel?

what is TI....regarding the GPU ?
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2013 6:47:06 AM

Marine4Ever said:
I thought the ram was important, after doing some reading I realized that I could do 8GB. saw what Newegg had for sale and its basically all name brands. Also isnt it important to have 4 of the same ? or dont they all have to be dual channel?

what is TI....regarding the GPU ?

The "TI" models of a GPU are often beefier versions of the same card.
m
l
February 6, 2013 6:56:54 AM

Thank you for that info! What about the RAM do you think it is worth spending the High dollar amount on 8 GB of 1066 or would 8GB of 800 be good ?
m
l
February 6, 2013 7:26:54 AM

Marine4Ever said:
Thank you for that info! What about the RAM do you think it is worth spending the High dollar amount on 8 GB of 1066 or would 8GB of 800 be good ?

The higher end more expensive RAM (Kingston Beast, Corsair Dominator) is better suited to the Pro-sumer and a lot of that has to do with CAS latency, timing
overclock-ability and other things that really matter for someone who will edit video or any kind of media. If that is not the reason for this build then a good name with good ram will suffice, there is a lot of good memory out there right now.
m
l
February 6, 2013 8:09:26 AM

You will not notice RAM differences.
m
l
February 6, 2013 8:49:29 AM

As I said.
And you really do not need more than 4 GB for normal use as gaming, sufring the web and editing documents. Watching videos also.
m
l
February 6, 2013 9:23:22 AM

Well thank you very much to all who answered!
m
l
February 6, 2013 9:24:49 AM

If someone could please give me some more information on the reccomended video card. I do not understand what 650 or 660 means in terms of item. I looked into Newegg and didnt know what I was looking for.
m
l
February 6, 2013 4:27:39 PM

Marine4Ever said:
If someone could please give me some more information on the reccomended video card. I do not understand what 650 or 660 means in terms of item. I looked into Newegg and didnt know what I was looking for.

That depends on how much you want to spend before recommendations can be made.
m
l
February 7, 2013 2:54:32 AM

Marine4Ever said:

One important thing I forgot to mention is that if you buy more than 4 gigs of ram, you will need a 64 bit OS (Windows 7 64 Bit), the reason being is that 32 Bit OS's can only use and recognize up to 4 gigs of RAM. Keep that in mind.
m
l
February 8, 2013 2:50:51 AM

avacadobread said:
One important thing I forgot to mention is that if you buy more than 4 gigs of ram, you will need a 64 bit OS (Windows 7 64 Bit), the reason being is that 32 Bit OS's can only use andg recognize up to 4 gigs of RAM. Keep that in mind.

Avacadobread,

Is your above reply the same reason why my Windows 7, 32 bit operating system only recognizes 4GB of Ram when 8GB is installed? Does the operating system run the same with either one 4GB card or two 4GB, DDR3 PC3-8500/DDR3-1066 Ram memory cards?

Dejavu67

m
l
February 8, 2013 2:58:56 AM

Dejavu67 said:
Avacadobread,

Is your above reply the same reason why my Windows 7, 32 bit operating system only recognizes 4GB of Ram when 8GB is installed? Does the operating system run the same with either one 4GB card or two 4GB, DDR3 PC3-8500/DDR3-1066 Ram memory cards?

Dejavu67

Yes - you need 64-bit Windows to recognize more than 4GB RAM. 32-bit Windows only recognizes 4GB of RAM.
m
l
!