HDMI cable with PC gives bad quality. VGA is perfect.

Jurden

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hello, I have searched all day for an answer for this and the only solution I have seen is to change the input name. Except my tv doesn't have that capability. My tv is Apex 2412. Graphics is Radeon 6670. Everything is fine with the HDMI cable and tv, I used it with my xbox and there's no problem. And I've used a VGA cable and there's no problem. Any ideas?

Jurden

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
My problem is that when I use the HDMI cable with my PC I am rewarded terrible colors, terrible resolution yet according to all my settings I am running 1080p and true color. When I use the same cable and tv with my xbox there is no issue at all. Using the PC, a VGA cable and the same tv there is also no issue. I have other uses for the VGA cable, hence me wanting to use the HDMI.
I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Card is MSI R6670-MD1GD5. Catalyst Control Center version 12.10. All drivers are up to date.
Full specs:
AMD FX 4100
MSI R6670-MD1GD5
BIOSTAR A880GZ
8 Gb Team Elite DDR3 1333Mhz

Jurden

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
It was like that originally but I fixed it with the overscan setting. Still terrible quality. And I believe the HDMI cable is fine because it works with my xbox no problem.

SantyXtra

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
I have exactly the same problem
VGA is perfect
HDMI is disgusting

Running Gigabyte 7850 oc
1080p on Benq E2220 monitor
Mobo: Gigabyte B75M
OCZ Agility 120 GB SSD
Windows 8

The PC is new so is the Windows installation

It looks something like this:

rWIZb_zps55c23c02.png

Jurden

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

I tried the onboard video and without any drivers or anything it was just fine, no blurred text or 1 bit color. I switched back over to the card and I noticed while i t was turning on, the windows startup screen was looking fine, no blurred text or 1 bit color. And once it gets to the logon screen, the screen resets and goes crap. Also I decided to try a different tv. 40inch LG and with the card and same cord and there was no problem.
In short, I have confirmed: My computer works fine. The cord works fine. The TV works fine. But for some reason when I use my computer and my tv with the HDMI it doesn't work. I feel like its something to do with the Catalyst Control Center because before windows starts it works fine.

It is both, the text is really hard to read, like I am using a really low resolution but my icons are sized correctly. The colors look like I am using 8 bit.

Ryan Hunter

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just had what I feel to be the exact same issue and it wasnt fixed by updating drivers (first thing I did). As this was one of the first threads I found on this issue I wanted to share how I got mine working.
I also have a 6670 with HDMI out to my 24" TV and it looked like garbage. DVI worked perfectly fine and the cable was known-good. I too was getting the weird, choppy-looking text and off colors.
Eventually, by going through and changing almost every setting in Catalyst, I found that it was the pixel format. Once I changed the pixel format, everything looked as it should have in the first place. To do this I went to "My Digital Flat-Panels" > "Pixel Format" and chose "RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (FULL RGB)" from the default setting of "YCbCr 4:2:2 Pixel Format" if I remember correctly.