Sign in with
Your question

$1000 upgrade budget what to get/ pro builders

Last response: in Systems
February 6, 2013 6:42:54 AM

Hello as the thread states curious what you EXPERIENCED people would purchase if you had $1000 to spend on upgrade

this pc is used for gaming

current specs

asus hd5870
maximus formular 111
17 860
8 gb corsair dominator
corsair h50 liquid cooler
tx650w power supply (corsair)
Raven 2 sst-rv02B-w (Silverstone ) box
1000 gb westin hard drive

windows 8
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2013 6:51:05 AM

grab a decent 128gb SSD for about $100
I don't think you'll be needing a platform upgrade anytime soon if you're OCing the i7 (while not crazy fast it'll feed the 7970 all right)
For graphics you can grab a 7970 for about $400
You can grab another one if you feel like you need the performance or keep that money aside for something else
February 6, 2013 7:40:32 AM

Im not overly concerned with waiting extra 10 or so seconds for load up time

im more interested with gaming improvement , the main issue im having is my motherboard is not compatible with windows 8

so I cant use all the software and extra's that made it a good gaming board previously ( rog extra's )

thanks for your advice will keep it in mind
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2013 7:47:12 AM

stick with win 7. Win 8 is't so good
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2013 5:32:13 PM

As mentioned there is no need to grab windows 8, windows 7 will be more than fine
The SSD is good for windows boot, application load, game load (game itself, online matchs, level loads) but your choice depending if you're fine with your current HDD

Is your 860 overclocke and how much?

February 13, 2013 3:23:49 AM

stickmansam said:
As mentioned there is no need to grab windows 8, windows 7 will be more than fine
The SSD is good for windows boot, application load, game load (game itself, online matchs, level loads) but your choice depending if you're fine with your current HDD

Is your 860 overclocke and how much?

I already have windows 8 pro I upgraded because I was using vista ultimate and we all know how bad that OS is, I actually live in China where it is hard to get English version of any OS and the language packs on windows 8 are much quicker and easier to install especially when you cant read Chinese like my self. ( I had Chinese version vista ultimate )

My 860 was only clocked to 3.5 I think now it is 3.2 just using motherboards built in OC settings ,

before I just used asus turbo auto clocker as im not much of a PC person but now with windows 8 I cant install any of that

software and maximus formular 111 doesnt have support upgrde for windows 8 drivers hence why I wanted to upgrade .

I will look into a SSD as I live across the straight from Taiwan most PC stuff is very well priced.

a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2013 3:53:16 AM

You should be able to OC through the bios and Windows 8 pro lets you downgrade to windows 7 AFAIK
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2013 12:13:34 PM

well, if you really want to spend $1000, I'd get an I7-3770K, a 128 GB SSD, an AS Rock Extreme 4 Z77 motherboard, and a GTX 670 or HD 7950
February 18, 2013 2:08:48 PM

I would get a better GPU, the 5870 is good and all, but it's 2 generations old, it won't be able to play some of the newer games, I would go with a Radeon HD 7870. Also, you're creating a bottleneck with CPU to GPU performance, personally, I would go with an i5 2500k seeing as you like intel. However, if you were to go AMD, I would get an FX-6300. About the same performance, 2 more cores than the Intel, and about $30 - $40 cheaper. Also, if you are in a $1,000 budget, don't do water cooling unless it's on sale, stick with high end air cooling for the moment. Remember, you can always upgrade to fancy stuff later, spend the most you can on the best parts you can buy now. And finally, don't go and buy $70 RAM, you will notice literally NO diffirence, maybe like 2-3 FPS here and there, maybe like a second faster opening an application, but that really isn't worth the extra $30 you're spending.
February 18, 2013 2:09:02 PM

I would get a better GPU, the 5870 is good and all, but it's 2 generations old, it won't be able to play some of the newer games, I would go with a Radeon HD 7870. Also, you're creating a bottleneck with CPU to GPU performance, personally, I would go with an i5 2500k seeing as you like intel. However, if you were to go AMD, I would get an FX-6300. About the same performance, 2 more cores than the Intel, and about $30 - $40 cheaper. Also, if you are in a $1,000 budget, don't do water cooling unless it's on sale, stick with high end air cooling for the moment. Remember, you can always upgrade to fancy stuff later, spend the most you can on the best parts you can buy now. And finally, don't go and buy $70 RAM, you will notice literally NO diffirence, maybe like 2-3 FPS here and there, maybe like a second faster opening an application, but that really isn't worth the extra $30 you're spending.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2013 2:41:06 PM

he's running a i7 860, 4 cores with HT so I doubt he is going to have cpu issues that will hold back his gpu if he OC's a bit higher
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2257414

The FX6300 is not about the same performance as an i5 not even close

I woild grab a gpu upgrade for now, maybe like a single 7970 and save the rest for a platform upgrade later in the year with Haswell or see how things go with the 7970
!