anybody's using aa-size batteries with nikon d100?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 22, 2005 8:22:00 PM

i've always used 2 en-el3 batteries inside my mb-d100, but
occasionally run out of power during a photo session.
in those occasions, it would be useful to be able to use 6 aa-size
batteries in the battery holder i got with the camera, but with any
battery i'm trying to use the camera always flashes the low battery
indicator. i mean, i'm not able to shot even a single photo with both
fully charged duracell 2300mah nimh batteries *and* energizer
industrial alcaline batteries.
anybody's got some suggestions for me?
i wouldn't want to buy another spare en-el3 battery because power
shortage happens seldom --with 2 fully charged en-el3 i shoot
something around 900/1000 photos-- and i'm recharging the two
batteries once a month --i'm shooting a lot of images for my job--.

thanks in advance.

regards,
--
Gianni Rondinini (30, tanti, RA)
VBR - Vero Birro Romagnolo

Gianni Rondinini wrote:
> i've always used 2 en-el3 batteries inside my mb-d100, but
> occasionally run out of power during a photo session.
> in those occasions, it would be useful to be able to use 6 aa-size
> batteries in the battery holder i got with the camera, but with any
> battery i'm trying to use the camera always flashes the low battery
> indicator. i mean, i'm not able to shot even a single photo with both
> fully charged duracell 2300mah nimh batteries *and* energizer
> industrial alcaline batteries.
> anybody's got some suggestions for me?
> i wouldn't want to buy another spare en-el3 battery because power
> shortage happens seldom --with 2 fully charged en-el3 i shoot
> something around 900/1000 photos-- and i'm recharging the two
> batteries once a month --i'm shooting a lot of images for my job--.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> regards,
Are the NiMH batteries 1.3V?
You need 1.5V - doesn't explain the energizers, though...

Jan
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 3:57:06 PM

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 01:12:38 GMT, JMW <jwidome1@verizon.net> wrote:

>Are the NiMH batteries 1.3V?

no, they're 1.2.
1.2 x 6 makes 7.2volts. en-el3 is 7.4: that doesn't make so much
difference...

>You need 1.5V - doesn't explain the energizers, though...

the energizers i've tried are 1.5 non-rechargeable alcaline batteries
and with them i've 1.5x6 volts, that should be more than enough.

i'll give it another try.

regards,
--
Gianni Rondinini (30, tanti, RA)
VBR - Vero Birro Romagnolo
Hai capito, scelf?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 23, 2005 5:50:48 PM

Gianni Rondinini wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 01:12:38 GMT, JMW <jwidome1@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>>Are the NiMH batteries 1.3V?
>

> no, they're 1.2.
> 1.2 x 6 makes 7.2volts. en-el3 is 7.4: that doesn't make so much
> difference...
>

>>You need 1.5V - doesn't explain the energizers, though...
>

> the energizers i've tried are 1.5 non-rechargeable alcaline batteries
> and with them i've 1.5x6 volts, that should be more than enough.
>
> i'll give it another try.
>
> regards,

Sounds logical. I must be wrong. Sorry.

Jan
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 5:59:37 PM

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:22:00 +0200, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Gianni
Rondinini <bugbarbeq@icem.it> wrote:

>i've always used 2 en-el3 batteries inside my mb-d100, but
>occasionally run out of power during a photo session.
>in those occasions, it would be useful to be able to use 6 aa-size
>batteries in the battery holder i got with the camera, but with any
>battery i'm trying to use the camera always flashes the low battery
>indicator. i mean, i'm not able to shot even a single photo with both
>fully charged duracell 2300mah nimh batteries *and* energizer
>industrial alcaline batteries.
>anybody's got some suggestions for me?

There have been issues with the battery grip for the CP-5700/8700 and
possibly other cameras where high capacity AA batteries do not make proper
contact with the terminal strips. At issue is the fact these high capacity
batteries do not adhere to the IEEE dimensional specifications. I had the
battery grip for my 5700 replaced by Nikon under warranty just for this
issue.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
September 26, 2005 7:51:35 PM

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:59:37 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
wrote:

>batteries do not adhere to the IEEE dimensional specifications. I had the
>battery grip for my 5700 replaced by Nikon under warranty just for this
>issue.

thanks for you suggestion. i'll have a look for this.

regards,
--
!