Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which 670 or 7970?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2012 6:20:00 AM

Hey guys,

I have a few questions that have been bugging me for a while, but I haven't had the time to ask. I'm planning on getting a 670 for my new build but should I get the MSI Power Edition or the ASUS DC2T? I've heard problems with the DC2T, if there weren't, I'd definitely go for that one. (But I also heard that MSI had been doing some weird voltage thing on the 660tis and the 670s). I also heard problems about 2gb in the future. Should I get a 7970 instead then? I want my GPU to last 3-4 years. The only model my store sells is the 7970 ghz vapor x edition. I read reviews about that too, it seems to be a solid choice except for that it's a 2.5 slot card.

I have an Asrock z77 Extreme6 motherboard. In the future, if I get the 670 or the 7970, should I sli/crossfire it when it runs out of gpu power? Or should I get the 770 or the 8970? I heard that the 8xxx series is coming out Q2 of 2013. Should I wait? Also, if I'm planning on sli and crossfiring, I know the 670s will fit because they are 2-slot cards, but how about the vapor x 7970? It's a 2.5 slot, will it be able to be crossfired on my Extreme6? If it can, will the cooling performance greatly decrease? Also, how bad is the micro-stuttering on crossfire/sli? I want to play Crysis 3 in the future, so I'm a little concerned on the graphics requirements, but I mean, nobody knows the requirements for the game until it's out.

Also, there is adaptive v-sync on the 670 and it also comes with ACIII and Borderlands 2, which means I don't have to spend so much on games and I don't have to buy a 120hz monitor (or should I) ? The 7970 ghz does not have that feature, but I've been looking @ 120hz monitors for a while. I'm thinking of getting a 27" 120hz monitor, but the problem with that is that I'm afraid, because the maximum resolution is 1920x1200, the image won't be as clear because it's stretching those pixels on a large area.

I've been using Nvidia products for a while, I've never used an AMD graphics card, so I'm a bit skeptical about it.

I know there are a lot of questions, but I've been dying to ask them.

More about : 670 7970

a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 7:20:31 AM

I would get the 7970 in this current price market. To be honest, best bang for buck.

DC2T. I have it. It's great. Pretty much all of the complaints about the Asus card is caused from the GPU tweak software which was boosting cards beyond their means. I did my research coming in and didn't install it. No problems to this day.

1080p resolution. Either card will be fine and overkill. SLI/xfire in the future sure, but unless you are doing surround/eyefinity it's pointless on that one monitor 1080p.

Best to get a reference design gpu for at least one of them if you plan to do dual cards. Aftermarket gpus with the typical two fan design dump heat into the case. Two of those are going to make the housing toasty.

Hi performance Crysis 3 requires top of the line gpus out already. Google ftw.

7970 best buy out right now. 670 dc top bad rap from user malfunction. Good Luck.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 9:34:46 AM

If you are going to play on one monitor, both cards will preform greatly either the 670 or the 7970 so at this case I would get the cheapest of them so I will go with the 670. But if you are going to use multiple monitors or higher resolutions, then AMD 7970 will preform greatly. HOWEVER if you are going to use dual cards, then go with SLI because it usually gets less microstuttering than crossfire. But to sum up, both cards will not let you down at that resolution and in the same time, I am pretty sure they will last for 3-4 years, the extra vram for the 7970 doesn't future proof at all.
Score
Related resources
December 22, 2012 1:22:48 PM

Alright well I guess I'm going to go with the 670 DC2T and then just swap it with a 770, 780 or 8970 when it comes out. No more SLI/Xfire for me because he microstuttering does seem pretty bad, even in SLI. What power supply should I get, I was thinking of the Corsair HX850. Any other thoughts?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 1:54:20 PM

I'll +1 the GTX670. Microstuttering may well get fixed in the future with nVidia hardware. They've been doing a lot of work on it and have made huge progress in delivering amazingly consistent framerates on single GPU setups (even single GPUs exhibit some degree of framerate inconsistency, but nVidia have made awesome progress lately levelling it out). I'm gonna hold out for the GTX770 but I'd get a GTX670 if I was buying now.
Score
December 23, 2012 12:56:57 AM

But I heard that AMD just released the 12.11 drivers, seems to beat the 670s and 680s.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 2:26:42 AM

Nvidia also just released some drivers as well. No benchmarks out so far. But really, there will always be a driver update around the corner and GPU around the corner. If you are going to purchase now, I still stand behind a 7970.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 2:35:28 AM

The 7970, in general, is a little more powerful and a little cheaper. So I would go with that.
Score
December 23, 2012 8:30:09 AM

Hmm, then I might just get the 7970 Vapor X. Still waiting on a few more comments. I'm buying in around 5 days.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 10:01:56 AM

The drivers comment is right - both companies are always releasing new updated drivers. There was an article about a year ago comparing a GeForce and Radeon over 18 months of driver updates, and the GeForce gained more performance in total over the 18 months. These are generally small, incremental improvements though.

Catalyst 12.11 really wasn't a big deal. It was a larger gain that we're used to seeing from a single Catalyst update, but it was still only adding an average of 7%. A little more in some games, none at all in others. 7% is enough to turn 30fps into 32fps.

As for price, I'm unaware of any country in which the best 7970 prices are below the best GTX670 prices. Maybe there's been some sudden price cut I don't know about (but I doubt it). GTX670 has been available at a lower price since the two cards launched.

Reasons I'd still take the GTX670 even if the two options cost same money are the benefits of reduced frame latency (so more consistently high delivery of framerates rather than up/down inconsistent performance that just averages out to a good framerate, can post latency benchmarks if needed), adaptive v-sync (for significantly higher and totally unrestricted sub-60 framerates when v-sync is used, let me know if you want more explanation) and PhysX.

I know, PhysX isn't used in loads of games (21 games since 2008), but it's in some major titles now (like Batman Arkham City, Borderlands 2, Metro 2033 or Bulletstorm) and I wouldn't be surprised to see it a lot more next year. And before somebody says that you can't tell the difference, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAf [...] r_embedded

Pretty cool no? :-)
Score
December 23, 2012 10:26:29 AM

Yea, I know of PhysX and their adaptive v-sync, but if I'm getting an 120hz monitor, unless the GPU goes over 120 frames (which I highly doubt), I won't be needing V-Sync right?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 10:31:25 AM

Cool4strenz said:
Yea, I know of PhysX and their adaptive v-sync, but if I'm getting an 120hz monitor, unless the GPU goes over 120 frames (which I highly doubt), I won't be needed V-Sync right?

Right :-)
Score
December 23, 2012 1:42:01 PM

So I guess it comes down to whether I'm getting a 120hz monitor or not. If I am, then probably 7970, if not, then 670, thanks all for the replies!
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 1:51:44 PM

Actually, I'd grab the GTX670 either way (adaptive v-sync was just one of several reasons) but whichever you decide to go with, have fun with it :-) And obviously post back if there's any issues.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 9:35:25 PM

I saw bf3 upped on the 7970 by almost 20 fps. That is far more than 7%.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 10:00:55 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
I saw bf3 upped on the 7970 by almost 20 fps. That is far more than 7%.

If you're referring to where I said "an average of 7%", let me clarify to avoid confusion - an average of 7%.

In some games it's more and some games there's no improvement at all. On average, 7%.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 10:09:32 PM

You are making it sound like it barely got past 7 ever. I was just giving an example. But yes average is probably around 7-10%.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 10:17:33 PM

It's clear for anyone to see that I wasn't saying that. I already put the word 'average' in bold, but just to clarify, average. Flashing on/off is next, so hopefully we're clear now :-P
Score

Best solution

December 23, 2012 10:32:53 PM

i would definitely go with Nvidia, not because i'm a fanboy but because of the drivers and the overall quality

Amd cards that are supposely "better" get under 30fps in some games Nvidia are at 60fps (for the same performance)

i've only had one issue with the nvidia drivers running a gts 450, i was getting black screens almost once an hour so i wen't back to the old drivers until the new one came out and everything was sloved .... with ATI i always get black screens or those kind of problems

also, amd cards tend to have unstable framerates which is not good for a gamer, (for example : amd -> 30-70FPS, nvidia -> 45-55)

Hope it helps
December 23, 2012 10:45:12 PM

I would go 7970, but it depends on what you do/play.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 11:44:23 PM

Bromeh said:
i would definitely go with Nvidia, not because i'm a fanboy but because of the drivers and the overall quality

Amd cards that are supposely "better" get under 30fps in some games Nvidia are at 60fps (for the same performance)

i've only had one issue with the nvidia drivers running a gts 450, i was getting black screens almost once an hour so i wen't back to the old drivers until the new one came out and everything was sloved .... with ATI i always get black screens or those kind of problems

also, amd cards tend to have unstable framerates which is not good for a gamer, (for example : amd -> 30-70FPS, nvidia -> 45-55)

Hope it helps

I'm sorry, but that literally makes no sense. Also I have only had problems with nvidia drivers.
Score
December 23, 2012 11:52:19 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
I'm sorry, but that literally makes no sense. Also I have only had problems with nvidia drivers.

What makes no sense ? that i've only had problems only with amd ? well, everyone had a different experience with different hardware, i was just giving my experience out there

also, the fact of the framerates is real, pretty much every radeon card has more unstable fps than nvidia, maybe my example was a little exaggerated ... but anyway

what kind of problems you had with nvidia drivers ? old cards or high end cards ?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 12:33:59 AM

You just said a nvidia card gets 60 and amd gets 30, which makes no sense. They have a lot of different cards that all perform differently. Most games get 60 plus fps with the 7950 and 7970.
Score
December 24, 2012 1:31:29 AM

ok maybe what i wrote wasn't clear

for example GTX670 and HD 7970

Game : Far Cry 3

-- Nvidia Card --
Average FPS : 50
Minimum FPS : 45
Maximum FPS : 55

-- AMD Card --
Average FPS : 50
Minimum FPS : 30
Maximum FPS : 70

What i meant is that amd card tend to have UNSTABLE FRAMES PER SECONDS

that's it, no bashing on amd but some gamers like me think that a card constantly having different fps non stop is not good for gaming because your game don't constantly run at the same speed and that it weird ...

anyway, tom's has some reviews about those cards and you can either google it

i've done almost 2 weeks of research so i've seen almost every benchmarks about those high end cards, nvidia always winning

Score
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 2:33:25 AM

Oh, now I see what you are saying. That may be true.
Score
December 24, 2012 2:36:32 AM

Also i just read something that i didn't see

Radeon cards are good, they have great performance and are most of the time better for the price, but the factor that the framerate is not stable make them not as good as Nvidia but it's only something that someone said on internet so we can really trust everything
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 2:42:58 AM

yeah nvidia tends to have higher minimum fps from what I've seen, especially when it comes to SLI vs crossfire
Score
December 24, 2012 2:45:30 AM

jjb8675309 said:
yeah nvidia tends to have higher minimum fps from what I've seen, especially when it comes to SLI vs crossfire

Yeah as every benchmark says, crossfire has A LOT of compatibiliy issues when it comes to games. I would never invest in a crossfire system, rather going sli ...

Anyway,1 card is always easier, no compatibility issues, better performances, no instability ....
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 2:59:49 AM

true^ I would take a 7970 over my 560ti SLi (mostly because of vram limitations) in a heartbeat
Score
December 24, 2012 3:02:42 AM

You would take a 7970 over a 670? Hmhm ... don't make me start a rap battle ... because i'm bad at rap

that was out of subject but anyway ....
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 3:11:46 AM

IDK can't go wrong with either but I am not jumping to buy one at there current prices, I will likely wait it out with my 560ti SLi until next gen
Score
December 24, 2012 3:15:21 AM

I don't like the idea of having an old gen card even if it works great because they are old, use old drivers, old components ... old stuff

i remember back in the days, the 580 was a complete beast ... now you can barely compare it to 670
Score
December 24, 2012 3:33:15 AM

Alright well, uhm, 670 it is then!
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 3:34:19 AM

a 580 is about equal to a 7870 or gtx 660. The drivers are the same Im not really sure what you mean... fermi cards are not that old.

Shoot I still run a gtx 460 in my 2nd rig and its great!

Score
December 24, 2012 3:34:34 AM

Cool4strenz said:
Alright well, uhm, 670 it is then!

without a doubt
Score
December 24, 2012 3:39:22 AM

Normally the 580 should be equal to the 680 as the 560ti should be equal to the 660ti and so and so ... but it's old technology so the 580 is barely equal to the 670 .... old technology is not as good as the new one ... if you don't understand that's not important ...
Score
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 7:50:46 AM

One other thing to point out is that with recent money prices between either card the 670 has been a decent chunk cheaper then the 7970. Unless you are doing things on multiple screens I can't imagine you would feel any difference between either of these cards quite honestly.
Score
December 24, 2012 8:15:33 AM

bigshootr8 said:
One other thing to point out is that with recent money prices between either card the 670 has been a decent chunk cheaper then the 7970. Unless you are doing things on multiple screens I can't imagine you would feel any difference between either of these cards quite honestly.

+1 For the multi screen (AMD has 3gb so it's better for multiple screens)

Also right for the price difference
Score
December 24, 2012 8:30:08 AM

Alright, I'm on the verge of selecting the best answer but before that, I have one last question. For more "future-proofing", how many watts of power supply should I get, I was thinking of an AX850 or HX850. Also, will the 2GB of the 670 be a hinderance in future games? I'm guessing nobody knows as those games haven't been released yet, but just looking for some thoughts.
Score
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 8:37:04 AM

I would get something in the 750, 850 mark. Keep in mind that the only thing you really gain from going to a AX series power supply is the 80 plus gold certified and pure modular cable setup. The newer HX power supplies from Corsair are also gold and modular and are cheaper so you may want to check those out if you are wanting to put out the cash for the higher end power supplies.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or the 750 equiv
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory wise its very hard to tell where things will go high resolution display are coming down the pipeline so you may find that 2 gigabytes may not be enough but also card architecture may change to support these high resolutions at a high frame rate. For current 1080p displays a 670 is more then ample for them.
Score
December 24, 2012 8:37:15 AM

Cool4strenz said:
Alright, I'm on the verge of selecting the best answer but before that, I have one last question. For more "future-proofing", how many watts of power supply should I get, I was thinking of an AX850 or HX850. Also, will the 2GB of the 670 be a hinderance in future games? I'm guessing nobody knows as those games haven't been released yet, but just looking for some thoughts.

850W would be okay for basic SLI, even 3Way SLI would be working but i wouldn't be taking AX or HX series as they are overpriced ... TX850 will do the job (if you are on a 1000-1500$ budget)

even if it's 2gb, unless you have a 3 screens display, i don't think it will do a big difference .... more vram is mostly for high resolutions

and also, maybe you think that but if you sli 2x2GB cards, you don't get 4GB vram you only have 2GB, just to make everything clear
Score
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 8:38:48 AM

A TX will get the job done. I ended up with a AX850 because I wanted to shave a little on the power bill since I do have my computer on for a good chunk of the day.
Score
December 24, 2012 8:39:33 AM

bigshootr8 said:
A TX will get the job done. I ended up with a AX850 because I wanted to shave a little on the power bill since I do have my computer on for a good chunk of the day.

I didn't know AX serie was power friendly :p  Good to know
Score
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 8:42:02 AM

Yes it is. And the newer ones are more so the ax860 which is seasonic and the ax860i (digital version) which is not are both 80 plus titanium

Score
December 24, 2012 8:47:22 AM

I didn't know platinum and titanium exist :o  That's pretty nice for the price

Stupid question, whats the main difference between the different 80Plus certifications ? (bronze, gold ...)

Score
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 9:21:40 AM

well bronze has a lower efficiency at the different load points then 80 plus gold almost 10 percent not quite but close on every level 20 50 and 100 percent load. Which may not seem like a lot but but you will save enough to make it worth it.
Score
a c 133 U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 9:22:17 AM

By the way I have yet to see any titanium power supplies the requirements for one are insane at the moment.
Score
December 24, 2012 11:37:31 AM

Bromeh said:
850W would be okay for basic SLI, even 3Way SLI would be working but i wouldn't be taking AX or HX series as they are overpriced ... TX850 will do the job (if you are on a 1000-1500$ budget)

even if it's 2gb, unless you have a 3 screens display, i don't think it will do a big difference .... more vram is mostly for high resolutions

and also, maybe you think that but if you sli 2x2GB cards, you don't get 4GB vram you only have 2GB, just to make everything clear

Yea I know, because the data is sent to BOTH cards, so you utilize still 2gb. Uhm, I'll check I'm not sure if my store has the TX850, but if they have then great! Thanks for all the help guys!
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2012 12:07:28 PM

Pleasure :-) I'm running a TX850 - mine isn't Seasonic-built but it's still going strong. Have fun with your new hardware :-)
Score
December 24, 2012 12:07:58 PM

Cool4strenz said:
Yea I know, because the data is sent to BOTH cards, so you utilize still 2gb. Uhm, I'll check I'm not sure if my store has the TX850, but if they have then great! Thanks for all the help guys!

No problem, have a nice day and a great build :D 
Score
!