Sign in with
Your question

Ethernet port / network card not working

Last response: in Networking
January 25, 2012 1:13:57 PM

Hello,

My laptop stopped working for internet. Upon investigation, I found that ethernet port light was not blinking and network cable disconnected error was showing up in system tray. I could not find the network adpter in Device Manager also.

My wireless adapter is working though thankfully :) 

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
PK
January 25, 2012 6:49:45 PM

What type of computer is it? IF it is a desktop, is the Ethernet built onto the motherboard, or is it a card?
m
l
January 26, 2012 1:19:12 AM

It's a Compaq CQ40 laptop.
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2012 6:44:06 PM

Have you made any changes in your BIOS? There may be a setting to disable the network adapter.

If not, then the network adapter has probably died, and you will need to use a USB network adapter.
m
l
January 27, 2012 12:49:56 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
Have you made any changes in your BIOS? There may be a setting to disable the network adapter.

If not, then the network adapter has probably died, and you will need to use a USB network adapter.

I agree to Phil, your onboard NIC may have died.

There are some ways to check. First, take your laptop elsewhere to try it and see whether the lights are on or not.
If the lights are back, means the card is working, but not the supply. Do try out the ethernet cable as well.

Do not adjust the advance setting on the properties, like WOL, speed, and stuffs, just set them to auto negotiate and let them run as per normal if you did anything to those settings previously.

Get an update on your network adapter and see if it can be installed or not.

Run the add hardware on the control panel and see if it detects the NIC or not.

Or else, RIP to your network adapter and many of us will suggest you get a USB network adapter. It's rather cheap.
m
l
February 2, 2012 12:47:26 PM

Hi JasperLoh and Phil,

First of all, thank you very much for all your help. I tried everything you mentioned but could not get the LAN can working. So as a last Option as you guys suggested, bought a new USB network adapter and it just worked fine.

I am back online with my wired connect :) 
m
l
January 30, 2013 3:09:46 PM

padmanabhk said:
Hi JasperLoh and Phil,

First of all, thank you very much for all your help. I tried everything you mentioned but could not get the LAN can working. So as a last Option as you guys suggested, bought a new USB network adapter and it just worked fine.

I am back online with my wired connect :) 

I know this is an old thread, lol, but still hoping you (all) may still get this post.. Do you have any loss of transfer power / speeds with the USB connection? I'm having the same issue, and although the wireless does still work I'd like to be able to connect to a "hard line" or whatever for whenever I do any large downloads like system updates, etc...

I don't know if it is really worth the time to try to replace the onboard ethernet port, and if the USB adapter isn't significantly faster than wireless I see no point in buying one.
m
l
!