Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I need help with a $700-$800 gaming build

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 6, 2013 1:47:04 PM

Hi Everyone,
I am looking to find a build for gaming that is in the $700-$800 price range to start off. If someone could help me with a build I would really appreciate it

Here is my list of things that I need/prefer:

I am going to need a monitor (1920 x 1080) and OS.

I am more comfortable with an Intel CPU and an Nvidia GPU but if I can get a noticeable difference with AMD for my price then I am willing to go for it.

I would prefer to get all the parts from newegg if possible.

Looks do not matter at all, the case can be an ugly mess as long as it works.

Upgrading in the near future is not a problem, but for right now $800 is my limit.


Thanks in advance!

More about : 700 800 gaming build

a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2013 2:30:56 PM

All parts from newegg and amazon(it has some cheaper parts there) :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.21 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Hannspree HL229DPB 21.5" Monitor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.17 @ Amazon)
Total: $776.30
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
Related resources
February 6, 2013 2:48:40 PM

djangoringo said:
All parts from newegg and amazon(it has some cheaper parts there) :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.21 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Hannspree HL229DPB 21.5" Monitor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.17 @ Amazon)
Total: $776.30
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


I'm liking this build the most out of the two posted. Would this build allow me to upgrade for a while so I don't have to make a completely new build in the near future?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2013 2:58:21 PM

You can upgrade the cpu later for an i5 or i7 ivybridge from lga 1155, you might want to spend in now for the i5, if possible, the cheaper one is 179.99$, the i5-3350p, you can find it in newegg.
m
0
l
February 6, 2013 3:10:29 PM

Do you think it would be a better idea to put $800 into the hardware + OS now and just use my HDTV as a monitor for the time being? I want to be able to max or at least get very close to maxing games like The Witcher 2, so would it be smarter to spend more on hardware right now?

This is my first build in almost 10 years, sorry for all the questions.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2013 3:21:37 PM

You can use your hdtv as monitor, but only if you feel comfortable using the hdtv, also what is the maximum resolution of that hdtv ?
If it's 720p, a 660 gtx is already more than enough for it.
And you can put the rest on the i5.
m
0
l
February 6, 2013 3:47:15 PM

The HDTV would just be temporary (probably a few weeks, until I pick up a monitor) but it is 720p :(  . So would the build last me while if I change the i3 to an i5-3550? I could still pick up the monitor and it would come out to $825 after rebates which I could make work.
m
0
l
February 6, 2013 3:49:12 PM

I have recently build a system in a similar way , start with little money and then upgrades,
I took me a year. here is a big mistake I have made: start with cheap mb! that thing will hold you back with upgrades , after a year I have 2 systems because of that.
If you want to max your games you need to start with better mb.
spend less on cpu(g2120 for now) and go something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
z77 mb with at least 2 x pci x8,
your mb is the base for upgrades! biggest upgrades for games are cpu and gpu (a psu goes with it: 35$ for a psu - money out the window)and also 1 more : used cpu can bring some money back , and video card to , but used cheap mb -not so much.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2013 3:56:06 PM

Zombingo said:
The HDTV would just be temporary (probably a few weeks, until I pick up a monitor) but it is 720p :(  . So would the build last me while if I change the i3 to an i5-3550? I could still pick up the monitor and it would come out to $825 after rebates which I could make work.



Yes, you could do that, without the monitor, it fits the i5, it's less 100$, or with the rebates for 825$ it's not bad.
The reason i'm saying to get now the i5, it's because you won't need to spend a dime more on the cpu, there's no more cpus coming for lga 1155, so it might be wise to go with the i5, it's 60$ more but, instead of paying it later again for an ivybridge i5(the prices will not vary much) for ~180$ again.
But the i3 is a competent cpu, it will bottleneck the 660 gtx.
m
0
l
February 6, 2013 4:08:30 PM

MrSlavw said:
I have recently build a system in a similar way , start with little money and then upgrades,
I took me a year. here is a big mistake I have made: start with cheap mb! that thing will hold you back with upgrades , after a year I have 2 systems because of that.
If you want to max your games you need to start with better mb.
spend less on cpu(g2120 for now) and go something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
z77 mb with at least 2 x pci x8,
your mb is the base for upgrades! biggest upgrades for games are cpu and gpu (a psu goes with it: 35$ for a psu - money out the window)and also 1 more : used cpu can bring some money back , and video card to , but used cheap mb -not so much.


So you are saying it would be smarter to go with a build that has a motherboard that can be upgraded more? like this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BPug

and that would last me longer than the ASRock H77m with an i5?
m
0
l
February 6, 2013 4:14:16 PM

yes, what I am trying to tell you is like this : buy a nice base (don't cheap out on this ), and things that you will be replacing slowly - (like cpu , video card, )go for a minimum for now- to get a nice base
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2013 4:19:41 PM

The h77 is fine for locked cpus, i don't recommend going with expensive motherboards that will get the price much more expensive, you can get the 660 ti with the price of the motherboard, also a 520 psu will do for a single card, if you just want a single card setup the h77 motherboard are fine for it, it has all the features that you need.
You can get either the i5 or 660 ti with a price of the z77 motherboard, and it's only worth if you want the i5-3570k, which is 230$.
The h77 motherboards are of quality, it's not a cheap out thing, it has all the features needed, sata iii ports, pcie 3.0, usb 3.0, support for any ivybridge cpu(including xeons).
The reason many the h77 are the best budget motherboards is because it has all the features of the z77 boards minus the sli support and overclocking capability, which is not necessary for locked cpus.
m
0
l
February 6, 2013 4:21:03 PM

yes ,it all looks ok now,that gt 660 its nice, so later u can plug a2nd one (if you have a plug open) and that alone will bring your scores up 30-40%,
m
0
l
February 6, 2013 4:28:23 PM

djangoringo said:
The h77 is fine for locked cpus, i don't recommend going with expensive motherboards that will get the price much more expensive, you can get the 660 ti with the price of the motherboard, also a 520 psu will do for a single card, if you just want a single card setup the h77 motherboard are fine for it, it has all the features that you need.
You can get either the i5 or 660 ti with a price of the z77 motherboard, and it's only worth if you want the i5-3570k, which is 230$.
The h77 motherboards are of quality, it's not a cheap out thing, it has all the features needed, sata iii ports, pcie 3.0, usb 3.0, support for any ivybridge cpu(including xeons).
The reason many the h77 are the best budget motherboard is because it has all the features of the z77 boards minus the sli support and overclocking capability, which is not necessary for locked cpus.


Ya I think I like the H77 with the i5-3350p and GTX 660. I can afford the monitor with this build and I think it will be able to handle what I am looking for.
m
0
l
February 6, 2013 4:39:49 PM

yes its all nice , and right - but if want to max a game , in real life - 1 card on a max setting will run around 30 fps(depends on different things) , but it will be dropping to 10-15 now and then , with 2 cards max settings will never go less then 30-40, so that is the real life story when you play(anything more than 30 fps its smooth playing) , 1155 is a dead end, you want to be a future proof ,don't limit yourself with a cheap mb .
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2013 4:48:51 PM

A 660 gtx will give more than that, there's no such thing as future proof, all things will become obsolete at certain point.
Instead getting another cpu by then, he can get a new gpu, from the newer series that will come, a 660+i5 for now is a good choice.
Good luck with your build.
m
0
l
February 6, 2013 4:52:57 PM

this is my own personal build that i built this christmas

cpu - amd phenom ii x4 965 be $100
gpu - hd 7770 or you could get a gtx 550 ti $ 150
mobo - ms 970a-g46i am3+ sli compatible - $80
psu - rosewill stallion 500 watt $50
ram - 2 2 gb sticks of gskill ripjaw x series
case - rosewill challenger *older version $50
total >$450 if you buy all your parts on newegg.com *hd 7770 msi on sale for $130 (works great)

the am3+ motherboard gives you the option when the new set of cpu's for amd come out later next year if you feel you need it.
the 965 be is a great card for overclocking and can be overclocked up to 4.2 ghz with an after market fan.
if you wish to add a second graphics card then all you would need is a larger psu and to buy the card.

I play bf3 - planetside 2 - far cry 3 - the cpu intense minecraft >.< lol. i am able to play all these games on high without any bottlenecking at all and thats with a cheap hd 7770.

now if you go gtx 550 ti and the hd 7770 are almost on par with the hd 7770 being slightly faster but if you want gtx get a 560 ti if you can as they are great cards.

there is more then enough room to upgrade with the new amd cpu's coming out soon. the ability to add a second gpu and up to 32gbs of ddr3 ram.

yes a 3.0 gpu will work on the 2.0 slots and even the most expensive graphic cards don't bottleneck because of it. now if you get anything above a gtx 560 ti or an hd 7870 you will probably want to overclock.
m
0
l
February 6, 2013 5:03:18 PM

you want a cheap gaming rig , the am3+ its the way to go, good luck.
m
0
l
!