GPU fan stops spinning every 2 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

bg1230

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hello, I have a problem with my GPU (hd 6950 2gb) fan.
The fan doesn't spin continuously and causes my card to overheat. When the fan stops spinning it makes a loud humming/buzzing noise.
Now, i don't know which part is faulty, the PSU, the fan or the PSU pins.
All other components work just fine btw, any suggestions?

EDIT: If it helps I checked the following in MSI afterburner:
idle temp is 85 Celsius.
idle fan speed is at 90%, even tho the fan tachometer of the fan doesn't ever get past the 2100 RPM, with constant raises and drops from 0 to 2100 RPM.

Solution
that means there is too much friction in the bearings. if the fan has sleeve bearing there's not much you can do to fix it (it would need to be replaced), but if the fan has 'old' fashioned ball bearings you could oil it up like shown here: http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm

if you need to replace it, it's probably easier just to ghettomod some case fan on the heatsink... as long as there is air moving through the sink it should work just 'fine' :D

bg1230

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

My bad, in the OP i posted the results from afterburner.
I also know it is the fan because I see it stop spinning every few seconds.

Kari

Splendid
sounds like the bearings on the fan has failed... if you spin it around when the pc is off does it turn freely or does it feel jammed? If it is ok the magnets in the fan should make it wobble back and forth a bit just when the spinning is about to stop.

edit typo

Kari

Splendid
that means there is too much friction in the bearings. if the fan has sleeve bearing there's not much you can do to fix it (it would need to be replaced), but if the fan has 'old' fashioned ball bearings you could oil it up like shown here: http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm

if you need to replace it, it's probably easier just to ghettomod some case fan on the heatsink... as long as there is air moving through the sink it should work just 'fine' :D

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.