A Camera, a Gun and a Computer Geek

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 24, 2005 4:21:45 PM

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 03:13:03 GMT, "Matt Clara" <critics@large.com>
wrote:

>a dangerous combination...
>http://cs-people.bu.edu/aaron/turret/turret.htm

First, it's not a gun and secondly it's just a toy not real firearm.

Now here is the real thing and in a proper caliber also.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/wsh/274.pdf

The XM-101 CROWS.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 6:09:27 PM

How cool is that?

I would love to have two of those mounted on the porch of my home for when
the 7th day adventist/mormons come around.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 9:44:43 PM

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 03:13:03 GMT, "Matt Clara" <critics@large.com>
> wrote:
>
>>a dangerous combination...
>>http://cs-people.bu.edu/aaron/turret/turret.htm
>
> First, it's not a gun and secondly it's just a toy not real firearm.

According to Merriam-Webster, definition 1c, it is:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&v...
Did I say it was anything other than a toy?
And shouldn't it be "firstly" then "secondly", or "first" then "second"?

--
Regards,
Matt Clara

> From: "Matt Clara" <critics@large.com>
>
> | a dangerous combination...
> | http://cs-people.bu.edu/aaron/turret/turret.htm
> |
> | --
> | Regards,
> | Matt Clara
> | www.mattclara.com
> |

> And Off Topic for a dSLR News Group.

Not at all. If you read the conclusions you can see that one practical
application for this would be to mount a dslr on it instead of the gun. Try
reading it next time, or ignoring the post.

--
Regards,
Matt Clara

From: "Matt Clara" <critics@large.com>

| Not at all. If you read the conclusions you can see that one practical
| application for this would be to mount a dslr on it instead of the gun. Try
| reading it next time, or ignoring the post.
|
| --
| Regards,
| Matt Clara
| www.mattclara.com

Adding a dSLR capabilities down the road does NOT make it a dSLR camera.
It may be On Topic in alt.photography but not here.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

news:D fkZe.2153$WT3.1757@trnddc03...
> From: "Matt Clara" <critics@large.com>
>

> | Not at all. If you read the conclusions you can see that one practical
> | application for this would be to mount a dslr on it instead of the gun.
> Try
> | reading it next time, or ignoring the post.

> Adding a dSLR capabilities down the road does NOT make it a dSLR camera.
> It may be On Topic in alt.photography but not here.

I say it is on topic here.

--
Regards,
Matt Clara

From: "Matt Clara" <critics@large.com>

| I say it is on topic here.
|
| --
| Regards,
| Matt Clara
| www.mattclara.com

You need to read the Group's FAQ...
http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm

"In a nutshell, the r.p.d.slr-systems is a usenet* discussion board about all aspects of all
types of digital slr camera equipment and accessories.

Discussions range from questions about equipment on performance, compatibility, suitability
and so on of particular equipment to esoteric discussions of design and implementation of
specific features. Questions are answered by those who have the same or similar equipment,
and often links to various useful resources are posted."

Discouraged:
"Top posting, links to irrelevant material, excessive cross posting, cross posting to
unrelated groups, replying to trolls, signatures of more than 4 lines, signatures that are
really spam (e.g.: links to commercial sites), use of "makeashorterlink"/"tnyurl" and
similar link services unless for very long and unmanageable links."

Just becuase an item may take a photograph, does not make the subject matter "On Topic".
Just because you say it is does not make it so. Please follow the Charter and/or FAQ of
this News Group.

Based upon your previous posts I know you know better and you are not some dumb Troll.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 4:47:01 AM

> From: "Matt Clara" <critics@large.com>
>

> | I say it is on topic here.
>
> You need to read the Group's FAQ...
> http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm

<snip>

> Based upon your previous posts I know you know better and you are not some
> dumb Troll.

No, I'm not, and all I'm saying is lighten up, it's an interesting article
for techno geeks such as those who frequent this place; yeah, it's only
marginally on topic, but that's better than a lot of what passes for
discussion here. And make some leeway for, "I just shot a wedding, drank
three beers, am feeling good and found a fun article I thought people here
might enjoy (which several did)." That was last night, tonight I'm just
plain ornery... ;-|

--
Regards,
Matt Clara

John A. Stovall wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 03:13:03 GMT, "Matt Clara" <critics@large.com>
> wrote:
>
>>a dangerous combination...
>>http://cs-people.bu.edu/aaron/turret/turret.htm
>
> First, it's not a gun and secondly it's just a toy not real firearm.
>
> Now here is the real thing and in a proper caliber also.
>
> http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/wsh/274.pdf

That's not the same thing at all, guess you've never played HL2?
--

Stacey
Anonymous

In article <3pmtkrFb696lU7@individual.net>, fotocord@yahoo.com says...
> John A. Stovall wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 03:13:03 GMT, "Matt Clara" <critics@large.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>a dangerous combination...
> >>http://cs-people.bu.edu/aaron/turret/turret.htm
> >
> > First, it's not a gun and secondly it's just a toy not real firearm.
> >
> > Now here is the real thing and in a proper caliber also.
> >
> > http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/wsh/274.pdf
> >

> That's not the same thing at all, guess you've never played HL2?

If they built a gravity gun... then I'd be impressed.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

I totally agree with you Matt.

I can see that it actually would have applications for a photographer. I can
totally see photographers totally tracking a player in football in the
future...or perhaps training the camera only on the ball ..or grand prix
photographers..

And anyway...it was a very interesting aside which certainly got my
imagination thinking about the photographic possibilities.

David...I think you need to widen your limits of acceptability a little
mate.

Just because something is on topic doesn't make it interesting.

I would rather Matt send something interesting like that over listening to
Rich talk about his hatred of plastic, kit lenses and basically trolling the
group trying to get a reaction.

Lighten up....don't read it if it upsets you so much...

"Matt Clara" <critics@large.com> wrote in message
>> From: "Matt Clara" <critics@large.com>
>>

>> | I say it is on topic here.
>>
>> You need to read the Group's FAQ...
>> http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> Based upon your previous posts I know you know better and you are not
>> some dumb Troll.
>>

> No, I'm not, and all I'm saying is lighten up, it's an interesting article
> for techno geeks such as those who frequent this place; yeah, it's only
> marginally on topic, but that's better than a lot of what passes for
> discussion here. And make some leeway for, "I just shot a wedding, drank
> three beers, am feeling good and found a fun article I thought people here
> might enjoy (which several did)." That was last night, tonight I'm just
> plain ornery... ;-|
>
> --
> Regards,
> Matt Clara
> www.mattclara.com

September 25, 2005 3:22:05 PM

Steve Franklin wrote:

> I would rather Matt send something interesting like that over listening to
> Rich talk about his hatred of plastic,

I agree and enjoyed watching the video of that guys brother getting shot
with plastic bb's. :-)

--

Stacey
Anonymous

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 02:15:55 -0400, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

>John A. Stovall wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 03:13:03 GMT, "Matt Clara" <critics@large.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>a dangerous combination...
>>>http://cs-people.bu.edu/aaron/turret/turret.htm
>>
>> First, it's not a gun and secondly it's just a toy not real firearm.
>>
>> Now here is the real thing and in a proper caliber also.
>>
>> http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/wsh/274.pdf
>>

>That's not the same thing at all, guess you've never played HL2?

No, I shot real machine guns.

"When they poured across the border,
I was cautioned to surrender.
This I could not do
I took my gun and vanished."

"The Partisan"
Emmanuel D'Astier de la Vigerie
and Anna Marly 1943
September 25, 2005 6:17:43 PM

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 02:15:55 -0400, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>John A. Stovall wrote:

>>>First, it's not a gun and secondly it's just a toy not real firearm.
>>>
>>>Now here is the real thing and in a proper caliber also.
>>>
>>>http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/wsh/274.pdf
>>>

>>That's not the same thing at all, guess you've never played HL2?
>

> No, I shot real machine guns.

Here's another one that thought the same thing. Computer games
depicting the effective use of firearms against a perceived enemy are
for wimps. There's still a few of us around that already know what it's
like to splatter a face all over a wall under full auto before they did
the same thing to us. Brutal? Yup. Personal? Nah... just business,
which I'm glad I'm no longer in.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

I think the OP was pointing out the difference between an automated "sentry"
system and a remote controlled one, virtual or real. So far, I have not seen
any automated real system yet - the decision to pull the trigger is still in
human hands, at least for now.

Computer games aren't for wimps, Halo got us through ten months in Iraq -
good stress relief in a crazy world. :)

Just to stay on topic, here are some photos from Iraq, though shot with a
p+s camera...

http://www.pbase.com/anglotexan/iraq_2003

I got my digital SLR (Canon Rebel) when I got back as a present for myself.

Take care all,

BH

"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
> John A. Stovall wrote:

>>>That's not the same thing at all, guess you've never played HL2?
>>

>> No, I shot real machine guns.
>>

> Here's another one that thought the same thing. Computer games depicting
> the effective use of firearms against a perceived enemy are for wimps.
> There's still a few of us around that already know what it's like to
> splatter a face all over a wall under full auto before they did the same
> thing to us. Brutal? Yup. Personal? Nah... just business, which I'm
> glad I'm no longer in.
>
> --
> jer
> email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 2:14:32 AM

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:58:20 -0700, "BH" <bh@bh.com> wrote:

>I think the OP was pointing out the difference between an automated "sentry"
>system and a remote controlled one, virtual or real. So far, I have not seen
>any automated real system yet - the decision to pull the trigger is still in
>human hands, at least for now.

Not any more the Fire Ant system developed at Sandia and takes the
meat out of the loop.

http://www.sandia.gov/isrc/fireant.html

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 2:14:33 AM

Yikes, Terminators are just a step away...

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:p 48ej19fhijcsb9dmskjblo85td4alt99e@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:58:20 -0700, "BH" <bh@bh.com> wrote:
>
>>I think the OP was pointing out the difference between an automated
>>"sentry"
>>system and a remote controlled one, virtual or real. So far, I have not
>>seen
>>any automated real system yet - the decision to pull the trigger is still
>>in
>>human hands, at least for now.
>
> Not any more the Fire Ant system developed at Sandia and takes the
> meat out of the loop.
>
> http://www.sandia.gov/isrc/fireant.html

> "I have been a witness, and these pictures are
> my testimony. The events I have recorded should
> not be forgotten and must not be repeated."
>
> -James Nachtwey-
> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
September 26, 2005 2:54:20 AM

BH wrote:
> I think the OP was pointing out the difference between an automated "sentry"
> system and a remote controlled one, virtual or real. So far, I have not seen
> any automated real system yet - the decision to pull the trigger is still in
> human hands, at least for now.
>
> Computer games aren't for wimps, Halo got us through ten months in Iraq -
> good stress relief in a crazy world. :)

Sounds good for spare time, but when living in an foxhole and shitting
in your helmet, spare time was an unaffordble commodity - that's why we
were so eager to kill something so we could "clean house". :)  We
delivered our ordinance wearing our boots. If we were still wearing
them after the bang, mission accomplished. Back then, a smart bomb was
a hand-thrown satchel charge with a unpredictable toaster timer. Some
of us burned the toast and went home sooner than others.

> Just to stay on topic, here are some photos from Iraq, though shot with a
> p+s camera...
>
> http://www.pbase.com/anglotexan/iraq_2003

I like good restaurants, especially when you can see the name of the
place *before* you order. :)

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "Matt Clara" <critics@large.com>
>

> | I say it is on topic here.
> |
> | --
> | Regards,
> | Matt Clara
> | www.mattclara.com
> |

> You need to read the Group's FAQ...
> http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
>
> "In a nutshell, the r.p.d.slr-systems is a usenet* discussion board about all aspects of all
> types of digital slr camera equipment and accessories.

And an automatic "sentry" pointer & shooter could be an accessory to a
DSLR.
September 26, 2005 4:22:41 AM

John A. Stovall wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 02:15:55 -0400, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Now here is the real thing and in a proper caliber also.
>>>
>>> http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/wsh/274.pdf
>>>

>>That's not the same thing at all, guess you've never played HL2?
>
> No, I shot real machine guns.

And that has what to do with the discusion? The guy designed an automated
sentry weapon, not a remote controlled one.
--

Stacey
September 26, 2005 4:23:13 AM

Brian Baird wrote:

> In article <3pmtkrFb696lU7@individual.net>, fotocord@yahoo.com says...

>> That's not the same thing at all, guess you've never played HL2?
>
> If they built a gravity gun... then I'd be impressed.

:-)

--

Stacey
September 26, 2005 4:01:27 PM

BH wrote:

> Yikes, Terminators are just a step away...
>
> "John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:p 48ej19fhijcsb9dmskjblo85td4alt99e@4ax.com...
>
>>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:58:20 -0700, "BH" <bh@bh.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I think the OP was pointing out the difference between an automated
>>>"sentry"
>>>system and a remote controlled one, virtual or real. So far, I have not
>>>seen
>>>any automated real system yet - the decision to pull the trigger is still
>>>in
>>>human hands, at least for now.
>>
>>Not any more the Fire Ant system developed at Sandia and takes the
>>meat out of the loop.
>>
>>http://www.sandia.gov/isrc/fireant.html

It's a really piss poor image, but that looks like the rear end of an
old US Army M-60 Tank. So, just how good is the discrimination circuit
that keeps it from shooting at the good guys (defined: good guys = our
guys)?

From what little I could see in the video it does a grand job of
shooting up our own stuff. Is it "smart" enough to know to NOT shoot our
own stuff?
September 27, 2005 2:23:30 AM

"no_name" <no_name@no.where.invalid> wrote ...
> BH wrote:
>
>> Yikes, Terminators are just a step away...

>>>Not any more the Fire Ant system developed at Sandia and takes the
>>>meat out of the loop.
>>>
>>>http://www.sandia.gov/isrc/fireant.html
>
> It's a really piss poor image, but that looks like the rear end of an old
> US Army M-60 Tank. So, just how good is the discrimination circuit that
> keeps it from shooting at the good guys (defined: good guys = our guys)?
>
> From what little I could see in the video it does a grand job of shooting
> up our own stuff. Is it "smart" enough to know to NOT shoot our own stuff?

Some sort of IFF might solve that problem.
September 28, 2005 6:55:12 AM

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:40:28 -0700, Slack <xxxxx@xxxxx.org> wrote:

>Matt Clara wrote:
>
>> a dangerous combination...
>> http://cs-people.bu.edu/aaron/turret/turret.htm

>I want one.

Me too, but it'd work better with a Glock.
OTOH paint balls are more fun and the target can be reused ... with
enough persuasation.

Roger
September 28, 2005 6:58:02 AM

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:21:45 GMT, John A. Stovall
<johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 03:13:03 GMT, "Matt Clara" <critics@large.com>
>wrote:
>
>>a dangerous combination...
>>http://cs-people.bu.edu/aaron/turret/turret.htm
>
>First, it's not a gun and secondly it's just a toy not real firearm.

What? You never heard the litany, "This for work this is for fun"...
"This is my weapon and this is my gun"...

Roger

>Now here is the real thing and in a proper caliber also.
>
>http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/wsh/274.pdf
>
>The XM-101 CROWS.

>"I have been a witness, and these pictures are
> my testimony. The events I have recorded should
> not be forgotten and must not be repeated."
>
> -James Nachtwey-
> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Roger
!