Sign in with
Your question

Average Guy, Great Build

Last response: in Systems
February 6, 2013 2:51:24 PM

First, I just wanted to thanks everyone here for giving me advice and helping me with my first build in a long time. I am really enjoying my new PC so far, it's great to have one again and not just an old laptop.
So this build is a little on the pricey side, but it's more for the PC builder who doesn't need anything too crazy and wants some pretty good stuff to last a good amount of time.
Here it is:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.23 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1205.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-06 09:59 EST-0500)

Here is what this build achieved for me:
1. plain and simple(plain black case no crazy lights), options for future add-ons.
2. somewhat future proof. The i5 3570k is ready for overclock whenever I want(will need to get an aftermarket cooler when I am ready)
3. Good video card. It plays all the latest games on high/ultra.
4. Fast boot. SSD for OS/applications. HDD for storage/games.

For an average guy who has some money to spend to have a nice PC for a few years, and is able to upgrade to keep it relevant for some time.

Thanks,
Ken
February 6, 2013 3:58:57 PM

You're welcome.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2013 4:35:53 PM

looks good. I would remove the ssd and put that money towards better graphics
I would also stay away from Seasonic power supplies
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2013 5:22:25 PM

Wow. Alvine, you are the first person in the forums I've ever seen say anything bad about Seasonic. Interesting!

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2013 5:43:33 PM

Just watch - he's going to recommend corsair power supplies... which are made by seasonic. :p 

While I would normally also recommend getting better graphics, having had a new build with an ssd in it blow me away, and then having turned a crippled old netbook into a reasonably fast machine, again with an ssd... I can't say enough good things about them.

You've got a good rig there - it's something to be proud of.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2013 5:45:00 PM

think he was joking.

I'm trying to think of a very high quality PSU that isn't Seasonic or Seasonic-built, and I'm having difficulty. Superflower makes good units, I spose :) 

kreichs: very solid build, all high quality parts. cheers!
m
l
February 13, 2013 2:06:07 AM

Yeah the SSD is amazing. The fact that I can separate my OS/apps on a physical drive not a partition is great. It boots from pressing the power button to on in about 15 sec. I install all my games on my HDD but I would like to test the loading time boosts and what not on my SSD.

From what I have been reading Seasonic is good brand.

Now I remember the best part of custom builds is having a fresh OS with no bloat. Windows 8 is meh... I have got used to no start button though, but I rarely use the start screen. Obviously made for tablets. If Micrsoft can somehow make a metro-ish/desktop that lets you open the apps in windows and have the same functionality as say windows 7/xp. Apps forced to fullscreen on a 23" monitor is not good.

m
l
February 13, 2013 2:24:48 AM

i can tell you personally that boot times on an SSD are awesome, with Black ops2 where it awaits to load maps and textures are about a 2 second deal whereas they were like a 12 second wait for me with a barracuda 7200 rpm HD, or just swtiching between drive memory i can get a 25GB game from my HD to SSD in about 3 mintues
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 13, 2013 2:41:28 AM

alvine said:

I would also stay away from Seasonic power supplies

WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTT????????????????????

Anyway, get a Seagate barracuda 1tb for $70. I also suggest getting a Crucial M4 and a Sapphire/XFX 7870 GHz.
m
l
!