Average Guy, Great Build

First, I just wanted to thanks everyone here for giving me advice and helping me with my first build in a long time. I am really enjoying my new PC so far, it's great to have one again and not just an old laptop.
So this build is a little on the pricey side, but it's more for the PC builder who doesn't need anything too crazy and wants some pretty good stuff to last a good amount of time.
Here it is:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.23 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($158.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1205.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-06 09:59 EST-0500)

Here is what this build achieved for me:
1. plain and simple(plain black case no crazy lights), options for future add-ons.
2. somewhat future proof. The i5 3570k is ready for overclock whenever I want(will need to get an aftermarket cooler when I am ready)
3. Good video card. It plays all the latest games on high/ultra.
4. Fast boot. SSD for OS/applications. HDD for storage/games.

For an average guy who has some money to spend to have a nice PC for a few years, and is able to upgrade to keep it relevant for some time.

Thanks,
Ken
8 answers Last reply
More about average great build
  1. You're welcome.
  2. looks good. I would remove the ssd and put that money towards better graphics
    I would also stay away from Seasonic power supplies
  3. Wow. Alvine, you are the first person in the forums I've ever seen say anything bad about Seasonic. Interesting!
  4. Just watch - he's going to recommend corsair power supplies... which are made by seasonic. :P

While I would normally also recommend getting better graphics, having had a new build with an ssd in it blow me away, and then having turned a crippled old netbook into a reasonably fast machine, again with an ssd... I can't say enough good things about them.

You've got a good rig there - it's something to be proud of.
  5. think he was joking.

I'm trying to think of a very high quality PSU that isn't Seasonic or Seasonic-built, and I'm having difficulty. Superflower makes good units, I spose :)

kreichs: very solid build, all high quality parts. cheers!
  6. Yeah the SSD is amazing. The fact that I can separate my OS/apps on a physical drive not a partition is great. It boots from pressing the power button to on in about 15 sec. I install all my games on my HDD but I would like to test the loading time boosts and what not on my SSD.

From what I have been reading Seasonic is good brand.

Now I remember the best part of custom builds is having a fresh OS with no bloat. Windows 8 is meh... I have got used to no start button though, but I rarely use the start screen. Obviously made for tablets. If Micrsoft can somehow make a metro-ish/desktop that lets you open the apps in windows and have the same functionality as say windows 7/xp. Apps forced to fullscreen on a 23" monitor is not good.
  7. i can tell you personally that boot times on an SSD are awesome, with Black ops2 where it awaits to load maps and textures are about a 2 second deal whereas they were like a 12 second wait for me with a barracuda 7200 rpm HD, or just swtiching between drive memory i can get a 25GB game from my HD to SSD in about 3 mintues
  8. alvine said:

I would also stay away from Seasonic power supplies

WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTT????????????????????

Anyway, get a Seagate barracuda 1tb for $70. I also suggest getting a Crucial M4 and a Sapphire/XFX 7870 GHz.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Build Systems Product