Unusal GPU useage on Arma 2 Only

Over the last few weeks, and probably months, i have wondering why my FPS in Arma:2 has been so low, at around 18FPS-30 in and around cities. This FPS for some people might be kind of good, but for me GTX 570, i believe not. After doing overclocking to my CPU which is a i7 3.4GHz to a 3.8GHz and a little GPU overclocking i saw still noo increase in performance.
As to overclock me GPU i installed a program named "MSI Afterburner", when playing the game i noticed something REALLY strange. In Arma:2 my GPU usage was only staying at around 15-20% 0_0.

Anyone know the problem?
26 answers Last reply
More about unusal useage arma only
  1. And what CPU usage are you getting? Is something running in the background that shouldn't be?
  2. Sunius said:
    And what CPU usage are you getting? Is something running in the background that shouldn't be?

    After doing a bit of play, its AVGs at around 40-60 CPU USAGE
  3. Disable it while gaming. It should solve your performance issues.
  4. Sunius said:
    Disable it while gaming. It should solve your performance issues.

    How would i go about doing this?
    - Sam
  5. I have actually no idea - I have never used AVG. Isn't there an option to exit the program?
  6. Sunius said:
    I have actually no idea - I have never used AVG. Isn't there an option to exit the program?

    Oh, sorry, when i said AVG i was using it as a shorter version of the word average sorry xD
  7. Oh :D. Could you check what's actually using up the CPU?
  8. Sunius said:
    Oh :D. Could you check what's actually using up the CPU?

    Mainly the game.
  9. Could you try going into BIOS and disabling hyperthreading? Report the results: whether the lag is still present, and the CPU usage.
  10. Sunius said:
    Could you try going into BIOS and disabling hyperthreading? Report the results: whether the lag is still present, and the CPU usage.

    Ok, i will try it now. Expect results in 20mins.
  11. Okay, will be waiting :).
  12. Now getting around 28-44 FPS
    CPU is still at around 40-60%
    When i TAB out of game it goes back down to around 5-20% CPU.
  13. Sunius said:
    Okay, will be waiting :).

    Forgot to add the message as a reply:
    Now getting around 28-44 FPS
    CPU is still at around 40-60%
    When i TAB out of game it goes back down to around 5-20% CPU.

    EDIT: GPU load is around 30-40% now. Progress is in site.... xD
  14. Ok good. Could you open Resource Monitor (windows 7 program), CPU tab, sort the processes by average CPU and play the game for ~20 mins? Then, could you minimize the game and capture a screenshot of the Resource Monitor and upload it to www.imageshack.us (don't forget to select "Do not resize" option!)?
  15. Will do
  16. Same printscreen different website, hope you don't mind :)
    http://gyazo.com/1cafaf0404721ee599321f17baeeb319
  17. Yea sure it's fine. Just listed one website so you don't reply "I don't know how to post pictures" :).

    The screenshot is with hyperthreading disabled, yes?
  18. Sunius said:
    Yea sure it's fine. Just listed one website so you don't reply "I don't know how to post pictures" :).

    The screenshot is with hyperthreading disabled, yes?

    Yes, it is
  19. OK I'm stumped. Neither CPU or GPU is maxing out.

    At this point I'd suggest reinstalling both the game and Nvidia drivers.
  20. Sunius said:
    OK I'm stumped. Neither CPU or GPU is maxing out.

    At this point I'd suggest reinstalling both the game and Nvidia drivers.

    I have already reinstalled game, but quick question... is there a way i can temporally disable HyperThreading while playing games?, because in most games it gives me like a 30-40% increase in FPS :D
  21. I had ARMA do that to me once. When I had certain settings enabled (Cant remember what, sorry) the GPU wouldnt be fully used, like about 50-60%

    Wasnt any kind of bottleneck issue with me either.
    I7-2600 Quad 3.4Ghz and A GTX 660
  22. AuXDubz said:
    I have already reinstalled game, but quick question... is there a way i can temporally disable HyperThreading while playing games?, because in most games it gives me like a 30-40% increase in FPS :D


    I don't think so. Which games does it give performance increase?
  23. Far Cry 3, and Arma...
    There must be some patch
  24. Well, you can just stay with it disabled, can't you?
  25. Sunius said:
    Well, you can just stay with it disabled, can't you?

    I also am a video content producer so hyperthreading for rendering videos and using photoshop is key.
  26. I see.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Overclocking GPUs FPS Graphics