Does Nikon web support stink?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 24, 2005 4:04:07 PM

Is it just me, or does Nikon's web support system stink? (At Nikon
Canada, they call it the "Imaging Support Centre", while at Nikon USA it's
called the "Nikon Knowledge Database", but it seems to be same server...my
support account and inquiries show up at both sites.)

Recently, I was trying to download the latest full version of Nikon View
for my Apple iBook. Unfortunately, for some reason or other, Nikon's web
site keeps telling me my D100 isn't registered with them, and they won't let
me download the software. In fact, I ***am*** registered, I bought my D100
from a legit Canadian Nikon dealer, and I can download lots of other stuff
from Nikon for both Macs and PCs...except this one package. So I sent them
an inquiry through the support centre, asking Nikon what was wrong. As
usual, I got an automated e-mail from their server informing me that "you
should expect a response from us within 24 hours". Well, after nearly three
weeks and a couple of further requests that Nikon respond, I still haven't
heard anything from them!

This is not the first time I've had problems with getting Nikon support
to respond. And when they do respond, too often Nikon's attitude is "that's
the way it is, tough", or "no, you can't do that, too bad". You'd think
that being a Nikon user for over 30 years, and spending thousands of dollars
on Nikon gear, would entitle me to at least some decent service. Apparently
not.

I like Nikon cameras and lens, but frankly I'm fed up with Nikon's
non-service. Is Canon any better? I really could see switching over to
Canon...
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 10:14:05 PM

"Amr" <fbfrmhere@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is it just me, or does Nikon's web support system stink? (At Nikon
> Canada, they call it the "Imaging Support Centre", while at Nikon USA it's
> called the "Nikon Knowledge Database", but it seems to be same server...my
> support account and inquiries show up at both sites.)
>
> Recently, I was trying to download the latest full version of Nikon View
> for my Apple iBook. Unfortunately, for some reason or other, Nikon's web
> site keeps telling me my D100 isn't registered with them, and they won't
> let me download the software. In fact, I ***am*** registered, I bought my
> D100 from a legit Canadian Nikon dealer, and I can download lots of other
> stuff from Nikon for both Macs and PCs...except this one package. So I
> sent them an inquiry through the support centre, asking Nikon what was
> wrong. As usual, I got an automated e-mail from their server informing me
> that "you should expect a response from us within 24 hours". Well, after
> nearly three weeks and a couple of further requests that Nikon respond, I
> still haven't heard anything from them!
>
> This is not the first time I've had problems with getting Nikon support
> to respond. And when they do respond, too often Nikon's attitude is
> "that's the way it is, tough", or "no, you can't do that, too bad". You'd
> think that being a Nikon user for over 30 years, and spending thousands of
> dollars on Nikon gear, would entitle me to at least some decent service.
> Apparently not.
>
> I like Nikon cameras and lens, but frankly I'm fed up with Nikon's
> non-service. Is Canon any better? I really could see switching over to
> Canon...

I always call the 1-800 number here in the states. They've bent over
backwards for me, calling me back with extensive answers (more than I was
looking for) on a couple of occasions.

--
Regards,
Matt Clara

Amr <fbfrmhere@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is it just me, or does Nikon's web support system stink?

It's not just you. Call them on the phone instead, it's more likely to
get you somewhere.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
September 25, 2005 6:00:58 PM

I found exactly the same thing.

They didn't/couldn't answer the question and told me so and left it that....

My expectations of service are probably a lot lower than yours ...I don't
expect it anymore. When I get it though I make sure the praise is fed back
as it's so rare.

I had a problem with my Leatherman wave once....I applied way too much
torque when using one of the tools and the tool bent just a fraction so it
made it stiff to return into the knife handle. I sent it away for repair and
within 2 days it was returned to me by courier with every single utility
replaced or as they put it 'upgraded' to the new model.

Unbelievably good service and I would of course now buy one of their
products again in a heartbeat.
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 1:54:38 AM

On 9/24/05 9:04 AM, in article v4KdnRT7o7pq5ajeRVn-tw@rogers.com, "Amr"
wrote:

> Is it just me, or does Nikon's web support system stink? (At Nikon
> Canada, they call it the "Imaging Support Centre", while at Nikon USA it's
> called the "Nikon Knowledge Database", but it seems to be same server...my
> support account and inquiries show up at both sites.)
>
> Recently, I was trying to download the latest full version of Nikon View
> for my Apple iBook. Unfortunately, for some reason or other, Nikon's web
> site keeps telling me my D100 isn't registered with them, and they won't let
> me download the software. In fact, I ***am*** registered, I bought my D100
> from a legit Canadian Nikon dealer, and I can download lots of other stuff
> from Nikon for both Macs and PCs...except this one package. So I sent them
> an inquiry through the support centre, asking Nikon what was wrong. As
> usual, I got an automated e-mail from their server informing me that "you
> should expect a response from us within 24 hours". Well, after nearly three
> weeks and a couple of further requests that Nikon respond, I still haven't
> heard anything from them!
>
> This is not the first time I've had problems with getting Nikon support
> to respond. And when they do respond, too often Nikon's attitude is "that's
> the way it is, tough", or "no, you can't do that, too bad". You'd think
> that being a Nikon user for over 30 years, and spending thousands of dollars
> on Nikon gear, would entitle me to at least some decent service. Apparently
> not.
>
> I like Nikon cameras and lens, but frankly I'm fed up with Nikon's
> non-service. Is Canon any better? I really could see switching over to
> Canon...

This is no "biggie" - you can download, all they want is the serial number
of your camera......

PC
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 11:15:02 AM

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:54:38 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>This is no "biggie" - you can download, all they want is the serial number
>of your camera......

However, it may need to be a valid SN for that country depending upon the
site. I've had no problems with the Singapore site and my US SN, but the US
site I think is more picky.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
September 26, 2005 12:07:50 PM

In article <v4KdnRT7o7pq5ajeRVn-tw@rogers.com>, fbfrmhere@yahoo.com
says...

> I like Nikon cameras and lens, but frankly I'm fed up with Nikon's
> non-service. Is Canon any better? I really could see switching over to
> Canon...

Good luck with that move. I hope you have lots of money.

--
Look. See. Click. Share.
www.leica.co.za

Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:

| On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:54:38 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
| Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
|

|| This is no "biggie" - you can download, all they want is the serial
|| number of your camera......
|
| However, it may need to be a valid SN for that country depending upon
| the site. I've had no problems with the Singapore site and my US SN,
| but the US site I think is more picky.

If you bought the camera, i.e., it's not stolen - they ain't a bit
picky.....

PC
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 1:49:38 AM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:55:48 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote:

>If you bought the camera, i.e., it's not stolen - they ain't a bit
>picky.....

Oh yeah, try and get a gray market Nikon serviced by NikonUSA.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
September 27, 2005 1:49:39 AM

On 9/26/05 6:49 PM, in article 289hj197akl9fid7e2quma04kmu7kbejom@4ax.com,
"Ed Ruf" wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:55:48 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
> "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote:
>
>> If you bought the camera, i.e., it's not stolen - they ain't a bit
>> picky.....
>
> Oh yeah, try and get a gray market Nikon serviced by NikonUSA.

Anyone with half a brain knows that "grey market" stuff isn't, and shouldn't
be, serviced. However, I'll bet you can still download software.....

PC
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 5:53:47 AM

"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:
>
> | On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:54:38 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
> | Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> |

> || This is no "biggie" - you can download, all they want is the serial
> || number of your camera......
> |
> | However, it may need to be a valid SN for that country depending upon
> | the site. I've had no problems with the Singapore site and my US SN,
> | but the US site I think is more picky.
>
> If you bought the camera, i.e., it's not stolen - they ain't a bit
> picky.....
>
> PC

Nikon USA will not service gray market goods.

--
Regards,
Matt Clara

On 9/26/05 6:53 PM, in article
LC1_e.164806$_D6.42780@fe01.news.easynews.com, "Matt Clara" wrote:

> "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:

>> | However, it may need to be a valid SN for that country depending upon
>> | the site. I've had no problems with the Singapore site and my US SN,
>> | but the US site I think is more picky.
>>
>> If you bought the camera, i.e., it's not stolen - they ain't a bit
>> picky.....
>>
>> PC
>>

> Nikon USA will not service gray market goods.

Nor should they - but downloading software is probably still doable....in
any event, why nitpick?

PC
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 10:17:11 AM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:11:11 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Nor should they - but downloading software is probably still doable....in
>any event, why nitpick?

If memory serves, I've had a least one Nikon site worldwide not recognize
the serial # for one of my cameras while trying to do just that. I would
not call that nitpicking.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
September 27, 2005 2:08:55 PM

On 9/27/05 3:17 AM, in article eu6ij19t4uq08da9lvb3pesf78sq7k7enh@4ax.com,
"Ed Ruf" wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:11:11 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
> Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>> Nor should they - but downloading software is probably still doable....in
>> any event, why nitpick?
>
> If memory serves, I've had a least one Nikon site worldwide not recognize
> the serial # for one of my cameras while trying to do just that. I would
> not call that nitpicking.

I would - assuming that you are correct, either use another site OR,
(gasp!), call the 800 number.....

PC
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 7:37:34 PM

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:08:55 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
would - assuming that you are correct, either use another site OR,
>(gasp!), call the 800 number.....

Ah yes the 800 #. The same place they denied any knowledge of the issue wit
the MB-5700 battery grip for the CP-5700. I even told them about someone
else I knew who had his replaced due to the same issue with an
incompatibility with high capacity NiMh AA cells. I had to e-mail a copy of
the reply he got to them to get them to recognize that there was a problem
they recognized. I then had the grip replaced under warranty.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
September 27, 2005 7:37:59 PM

On 9/27/05 12:37 PM, in article nm7jj1tq5fds7mj53rpfgiio8qtlbr6698@4ax.com,
"Ed Ruf" wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:08:55 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
> Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> would - assuming that you are correct, either use another site OR,
>> (gasp!), call the 800 number.....
>

> Ah yes the 800 #. The same place they denied any knowledge of the issue wit
> the MB-5700 battery grip for the CP-5700. I even told them about someone
> else I knew who had his replaced due to the same issue with an
> incompatibility with high capacity NiMh AA cells. I had to e-mail a copy of
> the reply he got to them to get them to recognize that there was a problem
> they recognized. I then had the grip replaced under warranty.

I'm sorry you had problems - my experience has been different.....

By the way, I visited your site....you have a really good "eye" for
pix....:)

PC
September 27, 2005 11:20:50 PM

Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>On 9/26/05 6:53 PM, in article
>LC1_e.164806$_D6.42780@fe01.news.easynews.com, "Matt Clara" wrote:
>
>> "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message

>>> If you bought the camera, i.e., it's not stolen - they ain't a bit
>>> picky.....
>>>
>>> PC
>>>

>> Nikon USA will not service gray market goods.
>
>Nor should they - but downloading software is probably still doable....in
>any event, why nitpick?
>
>PC

Why shouldn't they service "grey market" purchases, isn't it still a "Nikon" no
matter where it was purchased?
If the product is the same worldwide, which as far as I know it is, then there should
be a universal level of warranty. I can understand not wanting to service stolen
goods, but it's not hard to provide a receipt for proof of purchase.
I would have thought that it was in Nikon's best interest to keep as many Nikon
customers happy as possible, even the ones that purchase Nikon products overseas
while on holiday and not to make "warranty pariahs" of them.

Just my 2c worth,
David Creed
September 27, 2005 11:59:54 PM

Proconsul wrote:

> On 9/26/05 6:49 PM, in article 289hj197akl9fid7e2quma04kmu7kbejom@4ax.com,
> "Ed Ruf" wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:55:48 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
>>"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote:
>>

>>>If you bought the camera, i.e., it's not stolen - they ain't a bit
>>>picky.....
>>
>>Oh yeah, try and get a gray market Nikon serviced by NikonUSA.
>

> Anyone with half a brain knows that "grey market" stuff isn't, and shouldn't
> be, serviced. However, I'll bet you can still download software.....

And you can still get it serviced, just not by NikonUSA (and not under
warranty).
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 12:20:14 AM

On 9/27/05 7:20 PM, in article 4339fe02$1@usenet.ugs.com,
"205150@usenet.ugs.com" wrote:

> Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 9/26/05 6:53 PM, in article
>> LC1_e.164806$_D6.42780@fe01.news.easynews.com, "Matt Clara" wrote:
>>
>>> "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message

>>> Nikon USA will not service gray market goods.
>>
>> Nor should they - but downloading software is probably still doable....in
>> any event, why nitpick?
>>
>> PC
>>
> Why shouldn't they service "grey market" purchases, isn't it still a "Nikon"
> no
> matter where it was purchased?
> If the product is the same worldwide, which as far as I know it is, then there
> should
> be a universal level of warranty. I can understand not wanting to service
> stolen
> goods, but it's not hard to provide a receipt for proof of purchase.
> I would have thought that it was in Nikon's best interest to keep as many
> Nikon
> customers happy as possible, even the ones that purchase Nikon products
> overseas
> while on holiday and not to make "warranty pariahs" of them.

Ask them - it's not my policy.......

I'd say all vendors behave the same way - they aren't in favor of doing
anything to encourage the gray market.....

PC
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 4:25:51 AM

"no_name" <no_name@no.where.invalid> wrote in message
> Proconsul wrote:
>>

>> On 9/26/05 6:49 PM, in article
>> 289hj197akl9fid7e2quma04kmu7kbejom@4ax.com,
>> "Ed Ruf" wrote:

>>>Oh yeah, try and get a gray market Nikon serviced by NikonUSA.
>>

>> Anyone with half a brain knows that "grey market" stuff isn't, and
>> shouldn't
>> be, serviced. However, I'll bet you can still download software.....
>
> And you can still get it serviced, just not by NikonUSA (and not under
> warranty).

And I've heard numerous times that Nikon USA requires serial numbers before
providing replacement parts (perhaps not for every camera, but certainly for
the F5). I've also heard of repair shops that keep a list of serial numbers
on hand for circumventing this requirement. I wouldn't bank on it, though.
--
Regards,
Matt Clara

Whenever I call the 800 number I get excellent service. Forget the Net.

"Matt Clara" <critics@large.com> wrote in message
> "Amr" <fbfrmhere@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is it just me, or does Nikon's web support system stink? (At Nikon
>> Canada, they call it the "Imaging Support Centre", while at Nikon USA
>> it's called the "Nikon Knowledge Database", but it seems to be same
>> server...my support account and inquiries show up at both sites.)
>>
>> Recently, I was trying to download the latest full version of Nikon
>> View for my Apple iBook. Unfortunately, for some reason or other,
>> Nikon's web site keeps telling me my D100 isn't registered with them, and
>> they won't let me download the software. In fact, I ***am*** registered,
>> I bought my D100 from a legit Canadian Nikon dealer, and I can download
>> lots of other stuff from Nikon for both Macs and PCs...except this one
>> package. So I sent them an inquiry through the support centre, asking
>> Nikon what was wrong. As usual, I got an automated e-mail from their
>> server informing me that "you should expect a response from us within 24
>> hours". Well, after nearly three weeks and a couple of further requests
>> that Nikon respond, I still haven't heard anything from them!
>>
>> This is not the first time I've had problems with getting Nikon support
>> to respond. And when they do respond, too often Nikon's attitude is
>> "that's the way it is, tough", or "no, you can't do that, too bad".
>> You'd think that being a Nikon user for over 30 years, and spending
>> thousands of dollars on Nikon gear, would entitle me to at least some
>> decent service. Apparently not.
>>
>> I like Nikon cameras and lens, but frankly I'm fed up with Nikon's
>> non-service. Is Canon any better? I really could see switching over to
>> Canon...
>>

> I always call the 1-800 number here in the states. They've bent over
> backwards for me, calling me back with extensive answers (more than I was
> looking for) on a couple of occasions.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Matt Clara
> www.mattclara.com

September 29, 2005 4:11:10 PM

205150@usenet.ugs.com wrote:

> Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>On 9/26/05 6:53 PM, in article
>>LC1_e.164806$_D6.42780@fe01.news.easynews.com, "Matt Clara" wrote:
>>

>>>"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message

>>>Nikon USA will not service gray market goods.
>>
>>Nor should they - but downloading software is probably still doable....in
>>any event, why nitpick?
>>
>>PC
>>

> Why shouldn't they service "grey market" purchases, isn't it still a "Nikon" no
> matter where it was purchased?

I don't know that there is a reason why they shouldn't. It's just
NikonUSA's policy.

> If the product is the same worldwide, which as far as I know it is, then there should
> be a universal level of warranty. I can understand not wanting to service stolen
> goods, but it's not hard to provide a receipt for proof of purchase.
> I would have thought that it was in Nikon's best interest to keep as many Nikon
> customers happy as possible, even the ones that purchase Nikon products overseas
> while on holiday and not to make "warranty pariahs" of them.
>
> Just my 2c worth,
> David Creed

I had experience working for a division of a company where the service
techs were absorbed into the local branch of the parent company. Due to
an accounting quirk, revenue from all the division's accounts accrued to
the division, but the costs of servicing those accounts ended up being
charged to the local branch (with no off-setting revenue).

NikonUSA is a completely separate company from Nikon worldwide, and I
expect NikonUSA doesn't want to be saddled with the costs of supporting
warranties on equipment they got no revenue from.

There would probably be more goodwill from finding a way for those who
purchased overseas to upgrade to USA warranty (by perhaps buying
coverage), but Nikon international hasn't done enough to address the
problem.

Maybe Nikon international should be reimbursing NikonUSA for the cost of
warranty service on international purchases, at least to the level of
the country of purchase warranty.

And that brings up the question of just what the warranty coverage is in
the country of purchase?
September 29, 2005 4:16:27 PM

Proconsul wrote:

> I'd say all vendors behave the same way - they aren't in favor of doing
> anything to encourage the gray market.....
>
> PC

Another thought ...

Suppose I'm a Japanese tourist visiting the USofA and my BRAND SPANKIN'
NEW Japanese Nikon camera breaks. Where can I get service? Does Nikon
Japan provide any protection while I'm traveling? Or do I have to wait
until I get home?

Or perhaps the shoe is on the other foot ...

I'm an American tourist in Tokyo when my BRAND SPANKIN' NEW, still under
warranty, NikonUSA Nikon camera breaks. Where do I get service? Does
Nikon Japan honor NikonUSA's warranty? Or am I S.O.L. until I get the
camera back to the good ol' USofA?
!