Noobs First build, help please (:

SebDrewett

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
The most I have done before is replace a graphics card, a few weeks ago I had little to no knowledge of computer but after many painful hours of research I’m slowly understanding the basics. I’m building myself a desktop mainly for heavy video editing using CS6 AE/premiere and gaming (mostly video editing).

So far this is what I have bought... It currently comes to around £750.

MSI HD7950 Twin Frozr AMD/ATI Graphics Card - 3GB (planning to overclock a little)
840 series Samsung 250GB
Sandisk SATA III 128GB
Toshiba External 1TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive
Vengeance DDR3 4 x 4 GB (16GB) 1600mhz
Intel i7-3770k OC to 4-4.4GHz (stock cooler is optional)
Asus P8Z77-M Pro (M-atx)
LiteOn IHOS104 4x SATA Internal BD-ROM Drive
Fractal Design Core 1000 Series Micro ATX Case
ANKWE USB 3.0 front panel (2xusb3.0)

I still need to buy 2x120mm fans, 1x92mm fan, cable management, ?dust filters?, a Power supply and a processor cooler (something which is able to fit in the M-atx case http://goo.gl/4dAcF)

Should I use the intel stock paste of buy Noctua Thermal Paste? http://goo.gl/Pez4B

What size PSU do I need? I just don’t understand since I have websites telling me 800W and others 350W
What do you think of the build so far? What could be improved?
Is it compatible? (I've checked but I've probably made mistakes)
And do you have any suggestions for what I said I need to buy?

Budget isn’t too much of a problem but I’m hoping to spend around.. £10 per fan, £40 for a power supply and £30 for the processor cooler

I want to overclock but only by a small amount to play it safe, The computers priority is to be stable, silent and compact :)

If you have the time to help me out I will be very grateful! Thank you :hello:

Seb

I understand this build might be a overkill.

Overall you have done a good job of putting this together. For a PSU I would be looking at something in the 500w to 600w (there is a good deal for the SeaSonic M12II 620w on newegg.com now).

For a HSF (heatsink/fan) it all comes down to how much you want to overclock the processor. If you are looking at 4.1GHz to maybe 4.3GHz you might be able to get away with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (may need to add a second 120mm fan to it). The stock Intel® thermal paste is pre-applied to the HSF and you are going to want to something else if you use a 3rd party HSF.

Also if you are going to get a 3rd party HSF you are going to want to make sure that you get the Corsair Vengeance Low Profile memory. The normal Corsair Vengeance is 2" (52.5mm) and the fan from most of the 3rd party HSF will stick out over the first and sometimes even the second memory slots and will hit the large heatspreaders on the normal Corsair Vengeance memory.

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Out of curiosty, what led you pick the 7950? imo, i would probably choose the gtx 670 for a video/photo editing build, though your choice wouldnt be bad either.

And why the two ssd configuration? Do you already have one of them?

A good 550w psu will do you fine, despite what many will tell you. Ive done the research, trust me.

Ive had good luck with the 92mm xigmatek loki cpu cooler. It should fit many cases. But be warned, it is nigh impossible to make a silent pc. Or even a quiet one. It will almost always be louder than you think it will be.

think the 7950 has far more gpu compute power than the gtx670

think the latest nvidia cards while great for gaming and more power efficient sacrificed gpu compute power

my old 5850 seems to have more compute power than my gtx570

thats why i got a new 7970 instead of a gtx670

SebDrewett

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

There was a 1 day £224 offer on scan.co.uk :) the offer came with Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs, Bioshock: Infinite and Crysis 3 so Im planning to sell these which should bring the price down to around £150 for the card. The buy was a spur of the moment due to catching the deal late and only having a few hours to research and decide haha, If I had more time I would have looked into it more.

Do you have any suggestions for the 550w psu?
Thank you :)

SebDrewett

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Thankyou for the detailed reply :) Im sure this has saved me some hassle
Unfortunately I have already bought the normal vengeance memory, are there any 3rd party HSF which would work with these?

SebDrewett

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

What do you think about this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ600MXSP-UK-ModXStream-Power-Supply/dp/B001GLFD54/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1360188341&sr=1-3

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

interesting. thanks for the link.