Sign in with
Your question

New computer/Lag + freezes problems

Last response: in Systems
February 6, 2013 6:59:00 PM

Hello everyone,

I built a new computer 3 weeks ago. I have a problem and I would like to have some advice since nothing I read on the forums worked.

• Worked flawlessly for 2 weeks.
  • One week ago, i got some lag/buzzing sound in my headphones every now and then (lag lasting 5 secs); youtube, skype, Borderlands 2.
  • The day after, I would have this lag every 4 mins (like clockwork) and it would still last 5 secs.
  • Now, the lags do not happen that often but my computer freezes when i play games. The freezes are very random since they can appear after 2, 3 or 5 hours; always in different areas of the game.

Here is what happens when my computer freezes.

• I can use my keyboard to access task manager. However, when I am in, I can't control my mouse (I can control my mouse when I am in the windows 8 menu to get to task manager).
  • Therefore, I force start it with the front button. When I press it, I hear a loud buzzing sound in my headphones (probably the sound of whatever is playing in loop) until it shots downs.
  • When it restarts, I still hear the buzzing sound very loud in my headphones but I have full control of my computer. I can therefore restart it properly with the windows menu.
  • When the computer boots again, it's like it never happened.

So I have some questions.

• Do you think the lags and the freezes are related?
  • How come the problems appear now after 2 weeks (I didn't install anything in between).
  • If it would be a hardware problem, I guess I would have problems all the time? Right now, I can play Borderlands 2 maxed out with high FPS until...it freezes.

Lastly, I think the CPU reaches 100% when it happens and I don't think its the cooling since I have a really nice case and all fans are working properly.

Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower Case ATX 4X5.25 6X3.5INT USB USB3.0 1394 Fan Ctrl No PS

I would really appreciate some help.

February 6, 2013 7:05:36 PM

I had this problem in my laptop once... I popped the harddrive out and put it in my desktop, and it made my desktop do the same exact thing even though it was running off of my other drives...

After a format and fresh install of windows, its back to normal..

Not sure if this is the same problem you are having, but what i did
    !