Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ASUS 660 Ti problem-Should I return it? 1 day left!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2012 4:26:34 PM

I am almost to my 30 days for returns, and I am afraid something is wrong with my ASUS 660 Ti OC edition. There are two problems that make me think something is wrong: 1) Batman AC stutters badly, very low min fps in benchmark, and 2) Video Bios was impossible to update on my ASUS P8Z77V motherboard.

In Batman AC, I get constant stutters, especially when flying. When I run the in-game benchmark, I always get a Min FPS = 0, 1, 2, or 3 fps unless I disable all DirectX11. My first copy of BAC was the Warner Brothers Games download installed on a Samsung 830 SSD. I heard Steam's version might have fixed a DirectX11 problem, so I purchased that too and installed it on an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. Same low min framerates, even with all AA off, details LOW, etc. I get high max framerates, but it's not pleasant to play.

There was a video BIOS update from ASUS about September, which I thought might solve things, but I was unable to update my ASUS 660 Ti from my ASUS P8Z77V motherboard. (The bios update program would not run correctly, it would just start, increase CPU utilization, but not present its windows). So I installed a fresh (legal) copy of Windows 8 on another hard drive and tried it there, with nothing installed other than Windows 8 64 bit, Microsoft Security Essentials, Firefox, and an unpacker program to unpack the VBIOS. VBIOS update still wouldn't run. I switched back to Win7-64, and moved the card to a different slot--still wouldn't work. I ended up taking it to an old (2005) dual Opteron workstation with Nforce4 Professional motherboard (Tyan S2895), and that finally did the update.

This is particularly frustrating, as I started playing Batman on an eVGA 7800GTX (6 years old?), and it worked better on that. But it couldn't do DirectX 11, so that's not really a direct comparison. I thought a 660 Ti would be a much better experience than it is, though.

I have
i5-3570K
ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard
ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5, Drivers updated 12/22/12 to current v. 310
8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Samsung 830MZ-7PC128 SSD (Windows 7 64-bit and WB Games version of BMAC)
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (Steam version of BMAC)
WD Digital Caviar Green 1.5 TB
WD Caviar Green 2 TB
WD Raptor 74 GB (for Windows 8 64-bit)

Sample results (I've tried many combinations)
1920x1080
V Sync N
Anti-Aliasing Disabled
Directx 11 MVSS&HBAO
Directx 11 Tessellatn OFF
Detail Level Low
Dynamic Shadows N
Motion Blur N
Distortion N
Lens Flares N
Light Shafts N
Reflections N
Ambient Occlusion N
Min FPS 0
Max FPS 127
Avg FPS 65

Thanks!
December 22, 2012 4:41:46 PM

do u experience this problem in any other game?
try battlefield 3 or wither 2 or far cry 3
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 22, 2012 4:41:57 PM

You can if you feel its necessary. You have the latest drivers?
Related resources
December 22, 2012 4:52:06 PM

I don't have any newer games.
Yes, I have the latest drivers that I downloaded this morning (I think they were new 12/17/12).

I ran 3D Mark 11 Basic (max resolution w/o paying is 1280x720, so I don't know if this is good or not), and got P8235
Graphics Test 1 42.66 FPS
Graphics Test 2 41.52 FPS
Graphics Test 3 54.92 FPS
Graphics Test 4 27.26 FPS
Physics Test 21.64 FPS
Combined Test 29.22 FPS
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 22, 2012 5:05:04 PM

stop pandering for STEAM. only a nut would take that advice "buy a demanding game" when Batman is already demanding................ your suggestion will fix nothing.

uninstall the nvidia hdmi sound driver and auto update. disable physx in the nvidia control panel. any better?

if the motherboard has on board graphics go into the BIOS and disable that too.
December 22, 2012 5:15:37 PM

it may look like advertising :p 
i just wanted him to try some other games
just to figure out if the card is faulty or not.
because it seems he has a used card bcoz most graphic cards have a 1 or 2 year warranty
no one has just 1 month!! and i dont think its been 1 year since the launch of 660ti
and playing some other demanding games seems like the FASTEST solution to me
to see if the card is at fault or not!!
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 22, 2012 5:28:38 PM

sorry if I insulted you. I have seen this game benchmarked at 2500 resolution with that card. his set up should be able to play Batman without any problems.... physx enabled.
December 22, 2012 5:43:21 PM

ofcourse!!!
660ti is an awesome card!
should easily do batman on ultra in resolutions higher that 1080p!!

yeah there could be problems too, like the ones u mentioned
and does the HDMI driver bother all the games??
and if the onboard graphics are on in BIOS, would he be able to even turn his monitor on? considering he has monitor plugged into the GPU?
December 22, 2012 5:46:04 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
ofcourse!!!

and if the onboard graphics are on in BIOS, would he be able to even turn his monitor on? considering he has monitor plugged into the GPU?

Not only the GTX 660ti, any card can do Batman on Ultra but being "playable" or unplayable" depends on how great your card is. GTX 660ti will reach 60 fps on average (which is the least playable/smooth rate for me) on Ultra at 1920 X 1080 res.

Benchmark
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...

So I guess you should return it back, there is something strange going with your card.
December 22, 2012 5:49:08 PM

well considering THAT i dont u will like MY build!! :lol: 
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 22, 2012 5:51:25 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
ofcourse!!!

yes, multiple sound drivers on some systems can cause these problems amongst others. trial and error here. not easy to fix a computer over the internet and it's good to go into it slowly.
December 22, 2012 5:55:18 PM

wat about my onboard graphics question?
December 22, 2012 5:57:17 PM

I disabled the one called "NVIDIA High Definition Audio". Is that what you wanted me to do? I am running through a DVI connection, if that makes any difference.

I can't see a way to disable PhysX in NVIDIA control panel, only to choose between 660 Ti, CPU, or Auto-select.

I'm pretty sure I have the onboard graphics disabled in the BIOS.

I can't run the 3D Mark benchmarks that they did without the Pro version, might get it if that's necessary, but I'd rather not.

I did run the Unigine Heaven 11. I don't remember the numbers, but it looked great, and I believe the framerate was good.

I can't keep up with everyone's suggestions. I will try to by the end of the day.

It's not the warranty, I was worried about returning it to Amazon while I can. I figured I might have to move up to a higher card, although I REALLY don't want to use up 3 slots.
December 22, 2012 6:09:19 PM

hey
no need to go to a higher card for just 30FPS 1080p gaming.
even a 660(non ti ) can do this
and check your GPU temperatures, and usage.
and since u cant run 3D mark 11 but u say unengine showed great framerates.
it might be just one game problem.
can u reinstall it and use the latest patch for the game aswell.
is this your first GPU? dont u have games like crysis 1?
and if not then why dont u get another game?
u DID buy this card for gaming right?
coz if it is performing bad in more than 1 game, it maybe drivers problem.
and if it is just batman AC then we can just solve the problem more easily coz we will know that the card is alright!
December 22, 2012 6:26:40 PM

GPU temps maxed at 71 C.

I did install a second version (Steam) of Batman. Should I use up a download and try to run it under Windows 8?

I have Halflife 2, Far Cry (first one, probably don't have it anymore...), Batman Arkham Asylum, Portal, Portal 2.

I started playing the game with a 7800GTX, but it apparently blew up. Worked fairly well while it lasted.

My main reason to go to a faster card is that I just bought a 3D projector (Epson 3020e), and I would like to try 3D at 1920x1080. Can the 660 Ti do this well? My monitor is 24" 1920x1200, but I would like to get a bigger, higher res one in the future.
December 22, 2012 6:28:24 PM

I did go in and turn off Virtu or whatever they call it that passes back and forth between the two. I thought I had it off. But now it is just 660 Ti, and I ensured it is PCI 3.0 instead of Auto. But I have to quit for an hour or so, so I can't run it right now.
December 22, 2012 6:29:56 PM

Does not being able to update the BIOS not bother anyone? It didn't bother the ASUS tech rep, but it does make me feel a little uneasy.
December 22, 2012 6:58:28 PM

I also have Dishonored, which I haven't installed yet.
December 22, 2012 7:05:37 PM

that game is not as demanding but will do
try it in ultra and dont forget the AA and high resolution
just install in the regular hdd insted of ssd, not that it would make a difference
post results soon.
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 22, 2012 7:10:40 PM

check cpu is not overheating? since you couldnt flash the bios of the card in that motherboard, maybe the motherboard is faulty. do you have another pcie slot on the board you carn try? Update BIOS for the motherboard yet?

"When I run the in-game benchmark, I always get a Min FPS = 0, 1, 2, or 3 fps unless I disable all DirectX11."
So it only stutters when dx11 is on? check gpu usage with msi afterburner, and check the clock speeds are coming up to its rated speed.
December 22, 2012 7:48:20 PM

Why should I install Dishonored on a regular hdd instead of ssd? I was planning to install it on the Samsung 830 (or OCZ Vertex 3). It's either an SSD or a WD Caviar Green (high power efficiency model). I guess I could put it on the old 74 GB Raptor that has Windows 8, but I was planning to disconnect it for the time being.

I did try a second PCIe slot on my ASUS motherboard, and it did not work. I did successfully update the VBIOS when I moved it to an old machine with an NForce 4 Professional motherboard (Dual Opteron Tyan S2895), which is about 7 years old.

>post results soon.
I will try, but my access to my desktop is about to be interrupted, as my wife's parents are going to be staying in this room for a week...and my wife is asking why I am spending the whole afternoon downstairs now that her relatives have arrived. She keeps talking about some holiday she wants me to get ready for.

Yes, it seems like it only stutters w/DirecX11. I think the clock speeds have come up from what I remember in ASUS GPU-Tweak. Should I install Afterburner instead, even though my card is ASUS?
December 23, 2012 2:48:43 AM

well u can install it on anything u like, it wouldn't make any difference,
i just said so that everything is "standard procedure"

-u can install msi afterburner in your card.
and i also think that your mobo might be at fault.
bcoz 2nd PCI slot should work too, and as soon as u change your mobo, u can do things without a problem.
can u access any other computer with a decent cpu? maybe some of your friends?
that way u can put your card in it and see results in a few minutes!
this would be a fast way to do it.
and wat about the results u were gonna post?

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
December 23, 2012 4:42:30 AM

There is nothing wrong with your card or your setup, Batman Arkham City in DirectX 11 mode is a disaster, and won't run all that smoothly regardless of what hardware you have. On release, DirectX 11 was completely unplayable. After several months, Rocksteady released a patch that got the game's performance in DX11 up to what it is today. You'll get playable framerates, but you will see lots of spikes and dips. The game is just a really crappy port, at least with DX11 on. Your only real solution is to play the game in DirectX 9 mode.
December 23, 2012 5:36:19 AM

game developers now just release DX11 for the sake of it,
there is only one thing that it does,.......
destroy the performance
December 23, 2012 9:45:08 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
well u can install it on anything u like, it wouldn't make any difference,
i just said so that everything is "standard procedure"

-u can install msi afterburner in your card.
and i also think that your mobo might be at fault.
bcoz 2nd PCI slot should work too, and as soon as u change your mobo, u can do things without a problem.
can u access any other computer with a decent cpu? maybe some of your friends?
that way u can put your card in it and see results in a few minutes!
this would be a fast way to do it.
and wat about the results u were gonna post?

I can probably send my card home w a friend after Christmas break, and he has more games that he could test with, if he's willing to take apart his sli setup to do it.

I will try to post more results. What did you want to see? Did you want something from Arkham Asylum, or the Arkham City results? I briefly started Portal, but no benchmarks in that game. I can post bunches of Arkham City results w different setting if you want that. Unfortunately, my computer room has been taken over by relatives who are staying a week.
December 24, 2012 3:22:20 AM

very unfortunate for your relatives to come at this time.
and dont run ingame benchmarks, use fraps.
and i suggest just turn your computer on for just 5 min, and play portal 2 again,
or dishonored and dont forget the AA, use fraps to see the FPS and tell the results,
bcoz it is a faster way of testing the card.
but sending it to your friend is not a bad idea either
January 13, 2013 2:50:12 AM

Best answer selected by fenry.
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 13, 2013 2:53:38 AM

Really Batman AC is a disaster no matter what configuration you have eh?

!